Yes - Close to the Edge 5.1 DVD-A/BluRay in October

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's just like when your car keys are missing. They're lost until you look hard enough and then you find them! (...at least that's what my wife's always telling me!) ;)

haha! true true (terrible admitting the missus is right eh!).. it's worse than that though! these things aren't always even lost at all, they (the labels) just use that as an excuse!! Who's Next being the classic one! PT just didn't want to do it, so some rubbish was disseminated to the effect the tapes were missing! When I asked a guy who's worked at Universal's tape facility in London about Who's Next he laughed when I suggested the tapes were missing - he had worked on them himself, they're all there and could easily be used for a remix anytime!!! :mad:@:

haha! true true (terrible admitting the missus is right eh!).. it's worse than that though! these things aren't always even lost at all, they (the labels) just use that as an excuse!! Who's Next being the classic one! PT just didn't want to do it, so some rubbish was disseminated to the effect the tapes were missing! When I asked a guy who's worked at Universal's tape facility in London about Who's Next he laughed when I suggested the tapes were missing - he had worked on them himself, they're all there and could easily be used for a remix anytime!!! :mad:@:

That's criminal. :mad: "Who's Next" is pretty close to the top of my surround wishlist.

AND on a separate note, apparently someone decided to ban me from the SH forum for "spam".
Bullshit! Since when is talking up this new release "spam"?!
Guess SH and his crew aren't digging the competition with this new release...
Oh well, let the discussion continue here! :51banana:

OUCH..!!!! Nice one!! (y) you spoke the truth on there and they don't like it!

I've suspected for some time this "little" nugget of news was going to blow their fuckin minds over at SHF! looks like its already doing more than a bit of feather ruffling! :mad:@:

if the folks at sa-cd.net (who don't post on QQ or at SHF) cared more about surround and less about Classical music they might be bothered too about these Yes 5.1's but SA-CD has been lost to stereo now. it's out of the equation. (shame really when surround's all SA-CD's good for...).

you know, if you look back thru my posts here these last few months I've been dropping hints (some subtle, some not so) in various threads about these Yes 5.1's.. well they're coming alright and they are going to be KILLER! I did say to cupboy he might want to hold off getting those Yes SA-CD's.. :rolleyes:

We don't even know if the tapes are still missing for SD's "Aja".. still that wouldn't/shouldn't have stopped Universal from releasing Steely Dan's other albums in 5.1.

I love so much of what we do have in surround.. and what's to come is going to be great too.. but when it emerges what might have been or what has been mixed but never released, its rather sad and depressing!!

anyhoo.. different topic!

Back to what IS coming! Yes?

YES..!!!!

in 5.1

:wave

The same about The Who's "Who's Next" album.. the multitracks aren't missing at all.. we just get constantly fed a load of BS and lies when the artists can't be bothered (or don't care for/about surround) or the labels don't want to pay for a remix..!!!!!

Last I read (and this was back in 2008) the multis were still missing for Bargain, Song Is Over, and Gettin' In Tune .

Except, PT himself put out a call for the missing multis in 2004. At the time a whole side's worth had gone missing. Eventually Won't Get Fooled Again (recorded at a different studio than the rest) turned up. Seems a rather elaborate ruse if he didn't really want to do it, don't you think?

Last I read (and this was back in 2008) the multis were still missing for Bargain, Song Is Over, and Gettin' In Tune .

maybe they've since been found but according to my guy who worked at UMG's tape archives facility in London on Who's Next, they're all there now, ripe for the remixing (y)

Except, PT himself put out a call for the missing multis in 2004. At the time a whole side's worth ('side 2') had gone missing. Eventually Won't Get Fooled Again (recorded at a different studio than the rest) turned up. Seems a rather elaborate ruse if he didn't really want to do it, don't you think?

I'm aware of all that and while I have no concrete evidence to suspect it was anything other than genuine from PT at the time, rumours & anecdotes floated around that PT wasn't that inclined to do the surround remix after all.. though I guess it'd be unfair and plain wrong of me to cite rumour/fan-gossip as proof of anything, so I take the BS rant back specifically about PT & Who's Next just because its only my opinion and I don't have any hard facts.

whatever happened then, they appear to have been found now (at least a couple of years ago at any rate) in London. maybe PT's people were looking in the wrong place back in '03/4? the MCA & ABC catalogues were long in disarray in the U.S., so many master tapes got sold off to minted Japanese collectors or just went AWOL, so if they were looking there its no wonder half the album couldn't be found!

my take on it is.. if the multi's are indeed all available now (and this tape researcher I was talking to at a party isn't talking a load of rubbish!) its never too late.. is it!?

I have just been told it is okay to tell you all about this at long last - so here goes.

Featuring brand-new stereo & 5.1 mixes by Steven Wilson as well as some additional bonus material and the original stereo mix in glorious high resolution, "Close to the Edge" will be released in October this year. I cannot say too much more at this point in time, but will update this thread as & when I am able to do so.
This has been a very long time in the making, but well worth the wait - the new mixes sound absolutely glorious!

Your honor, I rest my case...
this IS the END OF THE WORLD!!!

Neil, thanks for news. Yes is perhaps last what i will listen to but definately the band of calibre which
must be in colection, particularly if release is HiRez surround and mix was done by SW.
i just hope it won't be buried in stupid box filled with few pounds of garbage :)

The press release for this was just released by Panegyric and was also posted on Steven Wilson's Facebook page.

Yes - Close to the Edge - available in CD/DVD-A & CD/Blu-Ray editions. :banana:

OUCH..!!!! Nice one!! (y) you spoke the truth on there and they don't like it!

I've suspected for some time this "little" nugget of news was going to blow their fuckin minds over at SHF! looks like its already doing more than a bit of feather ruffling! .... I did say to cupboy he might want to hold off getting those Yes SA-CD's

I haven't bought any of the AF Yes SACDs. I've got Fragile from Warners Japan. That's the only one.

I wonder if AF still plans to do more Yes SACD titles. I would hope not.

VERY happy that both the XTC & Yes releases will be released on BOTH DVD-A & Blu-Ray, that way we all have the choice.
For me (for both releases), it's BLU-RAY, BAY-BAY! :51banana:

Back