Yes - Close to the Edge 5.1 DVD-A/BluRay in October

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
VERY happy that both the XTC & Yes releases will be released on BOTH DVD-A & Blu-Ray, that way we all have the choice.
For me (for both releases), it's BLU-RAY, BAY-BAY! :51banana:

you have nooooooo idea how hard its been sitting on this!! (as the actress said to the bishop!) :p :ugham:

I haven't bought any of the AF Yes SACDs. I've got Fragile from Warners Japan. That's the only one.

I wonder if AF still plans to do more Yes SACD titles. I would hope not.

AF are bound to bring out more Yes SACDs (they'll have their own deal with Rhino or whoever going on, I imagine!?) but they're never going to do surround, so you pays yer money you takes yer choice:-

you can opt for:

a.) true Hi-Rez DVD-A/BD flat transfers plus amazing new stereo & surround mixes (by a great artist in his own right who has a real flair for remixing things too and has rapidly become the "go-to" guy for 5.1 remixes of classic prog rock etc ..)

or b.) stereo only SA-CDs.

for me, the decisions all too easy.

Yeah in hindsight, maybe I should have rephrased that statement knowing where I was posting...
But I definitely stand by what I said.
With the original mix in high-res on this new release, plus new stereo & 5.1 mixes, and bonus material, it will be the definitive CTTE release.
I'm sure some people aren't happy that they bought the SACD and/or HDTracks version, not knowing this was coming, but I'm glad this forum is really excited about it and on board to support it, as it deserves every cent it will get!
We certainly have an amazing team with Steven Wilson & Neil Wilkes! :D

I am very excited to hear this release. Obviously the 5.1 will be definitive as there is nothing to compare it to. But I think it is a bit premature to declare the stereo versions as such. I know Steven Wilson does excellent stereo remixes, but the mastering is out of his hand. And I've heard a couple of releases where the mastering engineer turned his excellent mixes to sound too harsh. I have no regrets buying the AF SACD, it was 20 bucks. I could blow that on a crappy movie and popcorn :howl

I am very excited to hear this release. Obviously the 5.1 will be definitive as there is nothing to compare it to. But I think it is a bit premature to declare the stereo versions as such. I know Steven Wilson does excellent stereo remixes, but the mastering is out of his hand. And I've heard a couple of releases where the mastering engineer turned his excellent mixes to sound too harsh. I have no regrets buying the AF SACD, it was 20 bucks. I could blow that on a crappy movie and popcorn :howl

You definitely have a point there, but now that we know for sure that the reissue is coming from Panegyric, I know that the mastering will be TOP-NOTCH. It's even possible that there will be no mastering at all (at least on the DVD-A/Blu-Ray) but a flat transfer instead.
Yes, Peter Mew has MEWTILATED the Tull releases (or at least TAAB) and I wasn't a huge fan of the mastering on the Caravan reissue, but the ELP, KC, and Hawkwind releases were spectacular all around (mastering included). :)

psst.. you might just get another 5.1 mix of "Fragile" someday.. ;) :eek:

I am by no means being an asshole, but I wonder if it will be like Tarkus and ELP. I was extremely put off by the lack of "balls" and the same dynamics as BSS. I just hope he does a better job, and uses an eq. No matter what I do, I just cannot get Tarkus to sound as good as BSS.

You definitely have a point there, but now that we know for sure that the reissue is coming from Panegyric, I know that the mastering will be TOP-NOTCH. It's even possible that there will be no mastering at all (at least on the DVD-A/Blu-Ray) but a flat transfer instead.
Yes, Peter Mew has MEWTILATED the Tull releases (or at least TAAB) and I wasn't a huge fan of the mastering on the Caravan reissue, but the ELP, KC, and Hawkwind releases were spectacular all around (mastering included). :)

Totally agreed about Caravan, ELP and KC. Amazing stuff. If there is a flat transfer of the original stereo mix and the remix sounds good I will be very happy. I think Steven Wilson's surround mixes are very tastefully done.

Yes, Peter Mew has MEWTILATED the Tull releases (or at least TAAB)

Wait... It says "flat transfer" in the liner notes. It isn't?
I quickly compared it to the 1st pressing and the MFSL pressing and it sounded like I was hearing less generation loss and no shenanigans. Am I deaf?

My only complaint was the lossy copy of SW's surround remix. So... think the label will follow thru in a couple years and release it "now in full quality"?

Sorry to digress here.

I haven't bought any of the AF Yes SACDs. I've got Fragile from Warners Japan. That's the only one.

I wonder if AF still plans to do more Yes SACD titles. I would hope not.

I got the Japanese Fragile SACD as well (so far all the Japanese SACDs I've got haven't been bad), when I get time I must do a comparison with the DVD-A. My preference is now for Blu-ray with 5.1 PCM.

Best of both worlds. DVD-A for the home and car, Blu-Ray for the hi-tech home.

NEIL IS THE MAN!!

Wait... It says "flat transfer" in the liner notes. It isn't?
I quickly compared it to the 1st pressing and the MFSL pressing and it sounded like I was hearing less generation loss and no shenanigans. Am I deaf?

My only complaint was the lossy copy of SW's surround remix. So... think the label will follow thru in a couple years and release it "now in full quality"?

Sorry to digress here.

I believe the original mix got a flat transfer. The remix was mastered.

As it looks like there is going to be significant Yes releases, will we ever see 5.1 mixes of the solo albums from Rick Wakeman "Six Wives" (wasn't that once available in SQ?), Alan White's "Ramshackled", and Jon Anderson's "Olias Of Sunhillow" ?

I've heard Chris Squire's Fish Out Of Water 5.1 is happening, as its always had a following. The others seem less likely.

As it looks like there is going to be significant Yes releases, will we ever see 5.1 mixes of the solo albums from Rick Wakeman "Six Wives" (wasn't that once available in SQ?), Alan White's "Ramshackled", and Jon Anderson's "Olias Of Sunhillow" ?

Rick Wakeman had 3 quad releases;
Journey to the Center of the Earth - Q8 & CD-4
The Myths and Legends of King Arthur = Q8 & CD-4
The Six Wives of Henry VIII- Q8, SQ & CD-4

Great news about the upcoming Yes release!

For me the decision between DVD-A or Blu-Ray will depend on price AND to a lesser extent on the video content.
Tis the beauty of Oppo. ;)

Back