"Amused to Death" through PLII

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil Palfreyman

1K Club - QQ Shooting Star
I've been experimenting with the PLII decoder on my amp with varying degrees of success. Tonight I decided to give Roger Water's "Amused to Death" a go. I know it was recorded in "QSound" but to be honest I've never really picked up the spatial positioning that's supposed to be there.

Through PLII it's sounding pretty incredible. Some of the content coming through on the rears almost sounds discrete. For example - Bill Hubbard's narration sounds like its coming from the rear left on my speakers and the "Perfect Sense" crowd noise section is incredibly immersive and atmospheric, lots of the echo's on the backing vocal is coming through in the rears, the sound effects on "Too much rope" pan diagonally. All pretty impressive.

Anyone else hear what I'm hearing on this release?

these effects and better can come from
try Madona collection Qsound Vogue
a QSD 1 or Surround Master Decoder
Plus playing dolby Surround gives a better sound

I've been experimenting with the PLII decoder on my amp with varying degrees of success. Tonight I decided to give Roger Water's "Amused to Death" a go. I know it was recorded in "QSound" but to be honest I've never really picked up the spatial positioning that's supposed to be there.

Through PLII it's sounding pretty incredible. Some of the content coming through on the rears almost sounds discrete. For example - Bill Hubbard's narration sounds like its coming from the rear left on my speakers and the "Perfect Sense" crowd noise section is incredibly immersive and atmospheric, lots of the echo's on the backing vocal is coming through in the rears, the sound effects on "Too much rope" pan diagonally. All pretty impressive.

Anyone else hear what I'm hearing on this release?

Nope, can't stand Roger Water's neuroses,
BUT,
I can stand Sting's neuroses...hence, try "The Soul Cages" on DPLII, it's another Q sound "mix", it's almost discrete!!!!

Nope, can't stand Roger Water's neuroses,
BUT,
I can stand Sting's neuroses...hence, try "The Soul Cages" on DPLII, it's another Q sound "mix", it's almost discrete!!!!

Does he still whisper "Goodbye" in your left ear?

-Kristian

'Q sound' didn't last long, did it? I will say that through my old Sansui stereo amp it played pretty well, offering an 'illusion' of sound 'around' you, though mostly to the sides, sometimes above...clever illusion, but like most gimmicks (anyone remember the Aphex Aural Exciter?) didn't catch on, mostly because most listeners could care less, they just want music by their fave artists and if it sounded good enough, fine.

I haven't played this one through DPL on the big system (my copy remains up north), but doubtless it would offer some interesting touches. Madonna's IMMACULATE COLLECTION was a Q-sound remix album, and some of those remixes still get played on the radio, though they are neither the single or original album versions.

ED :)

I've got the original pressing of "Immaculate Collection" (to be honest I dont know if it was ever re-mastered) and Pulse so will definately give them a go when I get chance. I've just tracked down and ordered a copy of the original 1991 pressing of The Soul Cages too so should be able to try that in a week or so.

It didn't seem to last long but the recent announcement of a re-mix/re-release of "Amused to Death" made a point of stating that it would also be in QSound. I would much rather he did it in 5.1 :(

try "The Soul Cages" on DPLII, it's another Q sound "mix", it's almost discrete!!!!

I picked up a copy of the original pressing and you're right - it's pretty incredible through DPLII; expansive and some very discrete sound placement. I have heard some far worse 5.1 mixes!

Back