HiRez Poll Primus - SAILING THE SEAS OF CHEESE [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Primus - SAILING THE SEAS OF CHEESE

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
I'd really like to have some more old Primus in surround, but I still really enjoy this sum-bitch a whole hell-of-a-lot! :D

[video=youtube;953PkxFNiko]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=953PkxFNiko[/video]

Hi all,

I picked up the Blu-ray of Sea Of Cheese the other day but I'm having a few issues and was curious if anyone else had had the same problem...

Ok, I have two Blu-ray players, a Cambridge Audio BD650 and a Panasonic DMP-BDT120. Both are connected to a Cambridge Audio 551R Receiver via HDMI, the BD650 is also connected via analogue (5.1) Direct In on the 551R.

Now on the Primus Blu-ray, when I play either the PCM 5.1 or Dolby True HD 5.1 track on either player there is no Sub output! All indicators suggest that it is there but there is nothing coming out. If I try it via the analogue Direct In there is something faint, but nowhere near the level that I'd expect, especially as the sub on this release is meant to be louder than most! If I play any other audio disc, film disc or file on either Blu-ray player the Sub behaves exactly as expected (as it has for years) so I'm a bit stumped! Were any of the discs faulty? Does anyone have any idea what may be occurring? Both players have the latest firmware as of a few weeks ago...

Thanks in advance!

Hi all,

I picked up the Blu-ray of Sea Of Cheese the other day but I'm having a few issues and was curious if anyone else had had the same problem...

Ok, I have two Blu-ray players, a Cambridge Audio BD650 and a Panasonic DMP-BDT120. Both are connected to a Cambridge Audio 551R Receiver via HDMI, the BD650 is also connected via analogue (5.1) Direct In on the 551R.

Now on the Primus Blu-ray, when I play either the PCM 5.1 or Dolby True HD 5.1 track on either player there is no Sub output! All indicators suggest that it is there but there is nothing coming out. If I try it via the analogue Direct In there is something faint, but nowhere near the level that I'd expect, especially as the sub on this release is meant to be louder than most! If I play any other audio disc, film disc or file on either Blu-ray player the Sub behaves exactly as expected (as it has for years) so I'm a bit stumped! Were any of the discs faulty? Does anyone have any idea what may be occurring? Both players have the latest firmware as of a few weeks ago...

Thanks in advance!

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

Funny, when I first got this disc I thaught there was something wrong with the center channel. It cuts off after about a minute and for the rest of the album is rarely used, only for a few effects here and there. As I have mentioned before, it is basically a quad mix with a center effects channel. I will check my sub channel and post back the results here in a few...

Interesting, I skipped through and I'm pretty sure the centre was fairly active, although I was focussing on there being no sub, I'll check again later...

Apologies for the double post above too, I couldn't see a way to delete it...

Interesting, I skipped through and I'm pretty sure the centre was fairly active, although I was focussing on there being no sub, I'll check again later...

Apologies for the double post above too, I couldn't see a way to delete it...

The center channel starts the disc ON and sounds like a standard center in a normal 5.1 mix. Then it suddenly goes off during first song. From normal listening position, you won't even notice. The rest of the disc, the center is only used for a quick sound effect here and there. It is a great unconventional mix in that respect.

The lfe channel in the mix is very active and a must to get the full effect of the mix. My setup is all large 5 speakers and sub "ON LFE ONLY". There is a "double bass" setting I rarely use. Sub is active the majority of the time as expected.

Hi folks, a little bit more info on my issue, I have been sent a replacement disc from the same seller but it behaves in exactly the same way :(

Just to recap, I have two Blu-ray players, a Cambridge Audio BD650 and a Panasonic DMP-BDT120. Both are connected to a Cambridge Audio 551R Receiver via HDMI, the BD650 is also connected via the analogue (5.1) Direct In on the 551R.

If I play the disc on either player the 5.1 audio on the 'Universal' intro logo screen when the disc is loading plays correctly
The stereo audio on the menus plays correctly

So, I'll use track 2 'Here Come The Bastards' as an example. I get the following output from both discs on both players in PCM 5.1 and Dolby True HD 5.1...

Front Left - I can hear the higher frequencies of the kick drum, that's it!
Front Centre - Sounds pretty much full range, the intro bass notes are in the centre
Front Right - Sounds pretty much full range
Rear Left - Sounds pretty much full range but I can hear a good reverb on the Snare which makes me think it is mapped correctly as a rear
Rear Right - Sounds pretty much full range but I can hear a good reverb on the Snare which makes me think it is mapped correctly as a rear
Sub - Nothing, total silence

Anyone got any ideas? Maybe the European discs had a batch fault? I assume most of you guys have the US version? I can't find anything about defective discs if I Google it either...

It's bloody annoying as I just want to hear it!

Hi folks, a little bit more info on my issue, I have been sent a replacement disc from the same seller but it behaves in exactly the same way :(

Just to recap, I have two Blu-ray players, a Cambridge Audio BD650 and a Panasonic DMP-BDT120. Both are connected to a Cambridge Audio 551R Receiver via HDMI, the BD650 is also connected via the analogue (5.1) Direct In on the 551R.

If I play the disc on either player the 5.1 audio on the 'Universal' intro logo screen when the disc is loading plays correctly

So, I'll use track 2 'Here Come The Bastards' as an example. I get the following output from both discs on both players in PCM 5.1 and Dolby True HD 5.1...

Front Centre - Sounds pretty much full range, the intro bass notes are in the centre
Rear Left - Sounds pretty much full range but I can hear a good reverb on the Snare which makes me think it is mapped correctly as a rear
Rear Right - Sounds pretty much full range but I can hear a good reverb on the Snare which makes me think it is mapped correctly as a rear

Anyone got any ideas? Maybe the European discs had a batch fault? I assume most of you guys have the US version? I can't find anything about defective discs if I Google it either...

My Oppo 83SE plays the disc correctly. I have it ripped to my PC now and it plays fine. My disc is a cut-out that was $10 on ebay! I actually thaught something was wrong with the center channel initially but later realized it is the mix and ever since, I love the mix. I call it a quad mix with center effect channel after the first minute or so of the first track. Very strange problem you have. Try ripping it and check it out on PC is the only advice I can think of.

Wow, I've had this one about a year and it's still in the shrink wrap... sounds like I better give it a spin!

Your missing out big time. Great album with an excellent mix.

That disc plays great for me, quad mix noted with sub. The HDMI connections have to be right, have the analogs been isolated from being your playback issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That disc plays great for me, quad mix noted with sub. The HDMI connections have to be right, have the analogs been isolated from being your playback issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right! Sub does make a difference on this mix. Les's bass is king...

My version of this on blu-ray has almost more deep, loud bass than anything else... Ever! You should be hearing prodigious amounts of bass on this! It almost has too much bass.

Try this fix, I'm really thinking that this may help your situation. If the 5.1 LPCM isn't tracking right, then try the 5.1 TrueHD track instead, or vice versa.

My version of this on blu-ray has almost more deep, loud bass than anything else... Ever! You should be hearing prodigious amounts of bass on this! It almost has too much bass.

Try this fix, I'm really thinking that this may help your situation. If the 5.1 LPCM isn't tracking right, then try the 5.1 TrueHD track instead, or vice versa.

Hi Frogmort, Yep I was expecting a phenomenal amount of bass so you can understand my disappointment! ;)

I've tried both the 5.1 LPCM and 5.1 TrueHD on both Blu-ray players that I own via HDMI and in every instance they behave incorrectly as described above. If I go analogue out from the BD650 to the amp the mapping is still incorrect but I do get something coming out of the sub which is VERY quiet and sounds full range from what I can tell. The seller even sent another copy and that is the same...

It is a complete mystery, any other audio disc, movie disc or file plays flawlessly as it always has so I can only conclude it is a faulty batch of discs, although I can't find anything about faulty discs on Google or on QQ. Unfortunately I haven't got a Blu-ray in my PC either so I can't even try and diagnose it that way...

I've started a return now, maybe I'll have more luck if I try and get the US version, or maybe even the DVD version if it comes to that...

I'm in the UK and I got this from Amazon UK, if I remember correctly, on release date. So presumably I have a European version, if there are different versions. Mine plays ok too, and, as Frogmort says, with mucho bass.

No-one's mentioned that it's not actually 24/96 like the back of the box says, thought it odd. Maybe they messed up when prepping the 24/48 for the DVD portion or the Dolby Digital mix?

I just noticed this while ripping it.. the back of the box is wrong :/ also noticed it about the Roger Waters - Amsued to death as well. Both great mixes though

Back