HiRez Poll Primus - SAILING THE SEAS OF CHEESE [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Primus - SAILING THE SEAS OF CHEESE

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Plays fine on my Cambridge Audio 752, Adam (after I got it out of the holder!) Intro screens are very annoying. The fidelity and surround mix are superb, though it's going to take me a while to decide if I like the music or not :yikes

thanks Neil, well I guess it might be to do with me not updating the FW on my 651 (the ISO thing) and so your 752 with the newer FW might not have any probs with this disc. oh yes.. the holder is a f***ing menace! I nearly snapped the disc getting it out again the other day!! :mad:@:

oh yes.. the holder is a f***ing menace! I nearly snapped the disc getting it out again the other day!! :mad:@:

...yup! I found rotating the disc slightly in the holder (don't like doing it as it risks scratching) helped getting it out first time. I then used an old CD-R to "break the holder in" so to speak!

An "8" carries its weight.

Its not the best surround mix of all time, its a bit "all over the place" (almost too active!?).. plus I can't abide the menu's/navigation just makes it a chore to play (not unlike most BDA's though, so no points deducted for that)..but its great to have it as much for what it represents. it's something different in surround other than 70's classic rock or classical, its a true discrete remix that's clearly had some care & thought put into it and sound quality's not bad either. Yep, an 8.

Ahh.. this one...
I first heard Primus when "Pork Soda" came out....really liked it...

This is a case when the liner notes (hey, whenever they mention Living Coloür, even misspelling it, it's cool on my book),sound and mix are top notch, but the rest is a bloody nightmare!!!

NEGATIVE points;
1-I had to basically "crack" the disc holder with some nail clippers so that the disc could be removed-WHAT A DEATH GRIP!!!-will NEVER put those back in there again.., then
2-(after skipping the 278 intros and logos included), I couldn't "choose" the Audio on the menu for "Setup"(or "audio", whatever), but at least I could change streams while playing the disc
3-neither could change the "Visualiser", got stuck to just one of them
(LG player)
4-Most of the "visual" material was in 4/3...hello????

Sorry, I can NEVER have a TOO active mix (any examples?) I prefer a WAY active mix rather to one that goes nowhere, and this trio shows what you can do with a Surround mix.
(I DO appreciate the 96/24 mix, but it sounds like it was recorded in early digital-my cillia weren't tickling-, still, kudos).

So, yes a BIG 10 for music , contents, but a HUGE -10 for the packaging and authoring,
hence a ...7 , sorry guys...

Still I recommend it but BEWARE of the dangers within!!!!

BTW, I see that the "outer band" of the disc was not used since it's transparent...whatupwidat????

Can someone tell me how much center channel information is on this disc after the first 52 seconds? I am curious if my bluray is defective or is this release almost 4.1. Thanks in advance.

Can someone tell me how much center channel information is on this disc after the first 52 seconds? I am curious if my bluray is defective or is this release almost 4.1. Thanks in advance.

Help/bump

I realized that I haven't voted on this and have had it for some time. I appreciate the effort to bring this to surround, but have to admit that aside from admiring Les Claypools otherworldly bass talents - I have always been left cold by Primus in general. The video element of the disc, some may find is edgy and alternative, I find it amateurish and annoying. The mix is OK, but there is only so much to be gleaned from 3 instruments - the vocals are, well, an acquired taste. I'll give it a 7 - like spinach, I know it's good for me but I don't like it.

After the first 52 seconds there is a bit of centre in track 10 Tommy the Cat, but I didn't notice anything else coming from there.

Has anyone got the visualisers to work? When I press the coloured buttons nothing happens!

Mine has no center after 52 either...

After the first 52 seconds there is a bit of centre in track 10 Tommy the Cat, but I didn't notice anything else coming from there.

Has anyone got the visualisers to work? When I press the coloured buttons nothing happens!

Thanks! I am suprised nobody on here or AVS mentioned this. I thaught it could be my player so I dragged my old Panasonic player out of the closet to test. I hooked up just the center to my right main speaker and the sub out to the left and gave it a listen. Sure enough after the first 52 seconds the center gets quiet. I let it keep playing, with the sub still shaking to amuse me, then at the 5:40 mark during Sgt Baker, you here Les say one line of the lyrics. WTF? Kept listening and again at 5:40 another line. Not another peep until his most notable line of all "dog will hunt" pops up nearly a full 10 minutes later at the 14:25 mark. Then I heard another line at 18:40 and my friend called me. While talking to him on the phone, I could hear another few from the other room I was in but I didn't take any notes. If only you could hear the conversation of me trying to explain to him the test I was doing and the results I was getting!

Then I went and played 27 holes of disc golf:)
Going to hold off rating this for now...

Last edited:

I had a listen - There is stuff in the center channel after 52 secs... but not consistently... check track 6 & 9... and as mentioned above...

In terms of the visualisers - go to the Set-up -> Visualiser....

I had a listen - There is stuff in the center channel after 52 secs... but not consistently... check track 6 & 9... and as mentioned above...

In terms of the visualisers - go to the Set-up -> Visualiser....

Thanks for checking this out...

Green button turned off the "visual effects" and from the ones I saw, I prefer them off...

Got to listen again to this bluray at a much louder volume today and I think the mix is great along with the SQ. The packaging (removal of disc), menu and visuals could be better but I don't care about that, just the music (3rd favorite Primus album), mix and SQ is whats important to me. Leaning towards a 9 for me. I now like how they did the center channel on this. It's different and it works. Kinda like Quad.1 for the music with and additional effects channel up front and center. Nothing wrong with that in my book...

Congrats on a Grammy nomination for Best Surround Mix. Chances of actually winning are probably slim. Do they ever get it right?

Back