HiRez Poll Primus - SAILING THE SEAS OF CHEESE [Blu-Ray Audio]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the BDA of Primus - SAILING THE SEAS OF CHEESE

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
I ordered this BDA and the Amazon seller sent me the plain ol' CD instead by mistake! Listening now and the music is brilliant but the vocals:yikes

I think i will still order another Blu Ray but wish this was available as a DVD A so i could rip my fav tracks.

I ordered this BDA and the Amazon seller sent me the plain ol' CD instead by mistake! Listening now and the music is brilliant but the vocals:yikes

Definitely get the Bluray if you like an fun mix! Primus is an acquired taste. If you like the music then you are more than 1/2 way there. The vocals will grow on you... or at least you will learn to tolerate them. :D

I bought this to give it a try as I like Frank Zappa, so I like quirky music, but this album just didn't do much for me, so I'm not going to vote as it would distort the poll too much. I suspect the humour doesn't translate to this side of the pond.

The sound quality is a 9, the mix a 9, a 9 for skilled musicianship, but just a 4-to-5 for the musical content.

Great mix and dynamics in this one. Very crankable.

This album has always been one of my favorites. I remember how I didn't like the vocals at first while admiring the musicians for their skills at the same time. But somehow I couldn't stop listening to the band and after a few listens it just clicked and I really started to enjoy the whole concept of Primus. Whenever I listen to them now, I have a big smile on my face. A clear 10 for the music from my side.

To my surprise, the sound and mix of this album are really good. I still have the old CD from back then here and it always sounded weak and thin to me. It's a revelation to hear the bass work from Claypool with it's full power now. Since this album was produced on a tight budget, and it always showed that it was on the original release, I wasn't expecting a mix that good. Of course, there are other albums out there with better clarity, but I think this mix serves the style of music very well and this might be the best way this album will ever sound like. 9/10.

Music: 10/10
Sound: 9/10
Overall: 10/10

First of all, if you insert this disc and just wait through all of the damned default menus, until it says out loud "Come with us, and we'll sail the seas of cheese", actually even right before Les says that, all you have to do is press "Enter", and the entire album will play; default audio is 5.1 Dolby TrueHD, without even turning on the tv.

I did feel like I was about to break the case/disc hub while removing the disc the first couple of times, but after a few times of listening to it, it came right out, no problem.

I never noticed how sparingly the center channel was used, until checking in here, but I really love this album overall. The music itself is mixed better than ever, and while there is some serious surround stuff happening, I still think it's fairly faithful to the source.

I begrudgingly give it a 9.

No-one's mentioned that it's not actually 24/96 like the back of the box says, thought it odd. Maybe they messed up when prepping the 24/48 for the DVD portion or the Dolby Digital mix?

This release literally has the loudest bass of any music album EVER. The subwoofer track is brickwalled in parts. I have never seen that before.

When an avant-garde bass player is playing the primary instrument it's bound to be unconventional.

From QQ deep space

Last edited:
I have loved this album ever since seeing them supporting Rush in, um, 1992 on the Roll The Bones tour. It suits the surround treatment perfectly.

I have loved this album ever since seeing them supporting Rush in, um, 1992 on the Roll The Bones tour. It suits the surround treatment perfectly.

I went to that tour and Primus was boo'ed as well as the "rap" part of Roll The Bones...both bands were and still are my favs...

I went to that tour and Primus was boo'ed as well as the "rap" part of Roll The Bones...both bands were and still are my favs...

Wher were they booed? I saw them at Birmingham NEC in the UK and Primus were very well received, particularly when Les Claypool threw the bass riff from Cygnus X1 into a song. One of the best receptions a support act has got. I bought Sailing.... a few days after on cassette tape, so having it in surround is tremendous.

Wher were they booed? I saw them at Birmingham NEC in the UK and Primus were very well received, particularly when Les Claypool threw the bass riff from Cygnus X1 into a song. One of the best receptions a support act has got. I bought Sailing.... a few days after on cassette tape, so having it in surround is tremendous.

Tough crowd I guess that only cared about Rush. It was St. Petersburg, FL Bayfront Center.

I remember Rush had a bit of surround sound going on for a few of the sound effects (no real instruments) this tour...both bands were great that night.

Yes, Show Don't Tell featured a few surround effects IIRC; the "I will be the judge..." voice came out of some speakers towards the rear of the hall. Not quite as good as the Floyd in 1994 at Earl's Court, but at least they tried!

Yes, Show Don't Tell featured a few surround effects IIRC; the "I will be the judge..." voice came out of some speakers towards the rear of the hall. Not quite as good as the Floyd in 1994 at Earl's Court, but at least they tried!

True, a little surround is better than nothing. The "rap" part of Roll the Bones used the surrounds...

Picked this up last week. Primus was my favorite band at the time this was released and they were my first concert (of my music, not my parent's). Red Rocks: Primus, Sonic Youth, Mudhoney, Pavement.
Agreed with the comments on here. The mix is great and shows off the incredible drum and bass performances. Subwoofer is quite loud. Guitar is mixed quite low but that's how the band was.
I hadn't heard this album in years and was surprised at how much filler there is. I'd say 7 of the 13 songs are keepers. Certainly that era had a lot of albums made for the CD format that were just way too long.
I played it via bluray on a playstation 3. It took me a bit to figure out the menus and using the color buttons to change the visualizations (essentially windows media visualizations over the existing videos). There is some nice video editing happening throughout; shots changes on the beat etc, but there are also some mistakes near the end of the album.
Also agree with someone else on here who said that it's tough to enjoy the music in the same was as I did when I was 15. I saw them live last year (with Danny Carey on drums) and it just didn't work for me (they've turned into a jam band essentially). This album worked a lot better for me but it is not something I will listen to often. Great tones, especially the drums. Tim/Herb is incredible.
I doubt there is money to mix Frizzle Fry in 5.1, but I'd buy it.

A shakey 9 for me. Mix is a bit bass-heavy, as has been said. This can be mostly mitigated by tweakin the sub volume, but I hate getting up when I just sat down.
:p
Content is mostly great. Bit o' experimental stuff/filler.
Very cool album. Definitely destined for many repeated spins.

Back