What if I told you I got my hands on....

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Q-Eight

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
The Four-Track of 'Sounds of Silence' ?

I can do a Quad mix so one might get the feeling of how a Quad version might sound, I could also do a stereo version of the original, undubbed single version.

The track layout is straight-forward:

1- Drums & Bass
2- Electric Guitar
3- Art
4- Paul & Acoustic Guitar

Amazing what you can track down on the internet! I even found a multitrack to Norman Greenbaum's "Spirit in the Sky" but it might have been a Rockband Extraction. The rhythm fuzz jumps tracks in spots and the lead takes over the fuzz track. Also, the acoustic guitar, handclap, tambourine and background vocals are all mixed to ONE stereo track, so not much chance of doing anything there.

the undubbed stereo version was on sunday morning 3.00am album..same version same take without the band overdubs and it's in stereo...when they added the band they kept the band in stereo but mixed down the original folk take to mono.
be nice to hear it in surround now!!

you could put 3 and 4 up the front and 1 and 2 in the rears and you'd get a surround and also the stereo mix of the original take up the front which could be mixed in with the rears for a stereo mix of the single...cool..

wow! that's a great find! (y)

I've heard on the "quadvine" there's multitracks for things like MJ's "Beat It", Stevie W's "Superstition" & a few cuts from his SITKOL album floating around online, among other juicy classics.. quite how you'd turn these into Quad or 5.1 mixes I don't know I'm a duffer when it comes to that kind of thing! :eek:

Home brew multi channel music is all over the net. I found a Beatle site once with all the stuff converted to DTS. I've seen a load of stuff re-done. Today with expensive computers, people are doing thier own conversions not waiting like us. I feel most of it is unethical, and should be kept in the makers home.

I've only ever seen posted multitracks like this reduced to 16 bit (or worse even mp3). Completely striped of their fidelity with nothing left to mix. Just a view into the process.

Are you actually finding real 24 bit high sample rate transfers of these tracks?

The track layout is straight-forward:

1- Drums & Bass
2- Electric Guitar
3- Art
4- Paul & Acoustic Guitar

Sounds like a early cd-4 layout... 4 on FL, 3 on FR, 2 on RL and 1 on RR.

I've only ever seen posted multitracks like this reduced to 16 bit (or worse even mp3). Completely striped of their fidelity with nothing left to mix. Just a view into the process.

Are you actually finding real 24 bit high sample rate transfers of these tracks?

some yes, most no. and please don't ask me where-I'm brain - broken I just pass through them and discount them.

I've got other multitracks; Queen, Marvin Gaye, I do have Superstition and also Long Train Running by the Doobies. I have some Beatles Sgt. Pepper 4-tracks too.

My personal Quad mix for 'Silence' was Paul & his Guitar FL, Art and the electric FR, Drums BR, Bass BL and some vocal echoes in the rear. Yes, I've done a little EQ fudging to separate the bass from the drums but it sounds good to me. But yes, all my multis come from dubious sources and a varying degree of formats. Sounds of Silence is 48k/16bit and still sounds fine to me.

Better than nothing at all!

Back