Howard Jones - The Video Collection

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bender

300 Club - QQ All-Star
I saw on the Howard Jones dot com website that he has a new video collection with remastered audio. It states that the disc is 5.1 dts and stereo. Does anyone know if the DVD is mixed in surround or processed in surround??

Howard Jones has a couple of surround DVDs ( a remixed and surrounded set of five newer songs and of all things a solo piano release in 5.1) that are true discrete mixes. I am hopeful but doubtfull.

I sent a question to the Howard Jones Facebook page, and someone official is looking into it, though I am never really sure people know what I am asking.

I've looked at that a few times with the same question. One of us might have to bite the bullet and find out for the rest of us (but with new 5.1 releases at $75, it might not be soon).

I've looked at that a few times with the same question. One of us might have to bite the bullet and find out for the rest of us (but with new 5.1 releases at $75, it might not be soon).

haha.. well I'll give it a go next month and buy it in the August lull before the September surround storm! (if you guys can hang out for the full SP on it til then!?) :)

haha.. well I'll give it a go next month and buy it in the August lull before the September surround storm! (if you guys can hang out for the full SP on it til then!?) :)

Thank you fredblue, hopefully we will hear from the HoJo official before then. I am a little hesitant as it is a bit more pricey to get to US. I would certainly do it if if it was real 5.1 dts, though. I have simply been let down and pleasantly surprised by these types of things too many times.

(Recently I sprung for the Two Rooms DVD thinking it had the actual covers in 5.1, nope just a well mixed documentary).

You're welcome :) if you haven't heard from the HoJo Honcho by the end of the month I'll order it.

aww.. you should've asked QQ about the Two Rooms 5.1 soundmix! (...specifically me! ;) :eek:) the main draw of the Two Rooms' DVD reissue is the bonus documentary! the "25 Minute Film Profile of Elton John", the packaging cryptically refers to it as!

what is that 25 minute film? "Aquarius"! a show by LWT (London Weekend Television.. ahh how I miss them!) in 1971, it has (super-rare!) footage of his legendary Fairfield Halls concert (sunny Croydon, 1971) and Elton, Dee and Nigel (the classic 17-11-70 3-piece line-up) in rehearsals for the forthcoming tour of the U.S.A., among interviews with key EJ acolytes & personnel. It's an an absolute must-have for any Elton fanatic (y)

I finally broke down and bought this one.

In answer to my original question...these are NOT discrete mixes ala Queen, McCartney, Gabriel, and Lennon.
The audio is good. Maybe that is the 24/48 dts working on its behalf. The tracks weren't run through a bad 5.1 simulater like the Def Leppard or Tears for Fears mixes. I am not quite sure what went on mix wise. On some tracks dry lead vocal in center channel with reverb lead vocal in rears. The music is like a double stereo effect. It is a nice collection of mixes. They used a live video for Life in One Day instead of original. I was initially very excited, I have loved the depeche mode mixes. So a precedent has been set for multi tracked keyboard mixes. I wish the HoJo could have been like those.

Thanks, for reporting back, Bender. That's disappointing indeed, especially since I was under the impression that HoJo was a surround proponent. I wonder how his "Revolution Remixed and Surrounded" sounds.

Back