The Who Tommy Super Deluxe Edition

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtbluray

Hi-Res Moderator
Staff member
QQ Supporter
Get out your pillows for what might be the most boring update of the whole year! :zzzzz

A few amazon sites are now listing a Super Deluxe Edition of "Tommy" that will be released on Nov 12, 2013 and contain 4 discs.

My guess is it will probably contain the remastered album on CD, along with the original bonus CD, a new bonus CD, and the 5.1 mix on DVD.
Whether it's DVD-A or DVD-V is anybody's guess at this point.

If it's DVD-V then I definitely will not buy it.
If it's DVD-A then I might buy it once the price drops significantly. (I currently have the SACD only)
If it's Blu-Ray even better! (but probably most unlikely)

Universal are continuing down an unforgivable path if they continue to rerelease deluxe editions of albums we already have 5.1 mixes for while others continue to rot in UMG hell! :mad:

There was a bootleg of almost all the demos for this project, maybe that's what one disc will be.

Of all the gin joints in all the world its Tommy who appears to a standing yawn. I love the album...but stop it. Give us "Live at Leeds, "Who's Next", "Kids are Alright" or "Who are you", "Empty Glass" or "White City".

......or how about the soundtrack to the movie "Tommy"....multifunk up "Eyesight to the Blind" featuring Eric Clapton and Arthur Brown, "Acid Queen" featuring Tina Turner.....oh I give up.

A "Who's Next" 5.1 "EP" on DVD-A or Blu-Ray disc would be SO much better than just reissuing the Tommy 5.1 mix.
Unless anyone wants the mix on Blu-Ray, there's no reason why this needs to be released again.
Plain and simple.

UMG are clueless...

A "Who's Next" 5.1 "EP" on DVD-A or Blu-Ray disc would be SO much better than just reissuing the Tommy 5.1 mix.
Unless anyone wants the mix on Blu-Ray, there's no reason why this needs to be released again.
Plain and simple.

UMG are clueless...

Hasn't 5.1 Tommy been released in 5.1 DVD-A AND SACD? Yes, you are right. Record companies keep lowering the bar to new all time levels of stupidity.

We don't need cheap black & white scans of Pete Townshend's cocktail napkins. How about a complete Quadrophenia 5.1???:howl And Who's Next, etc...

Hasn't 5.1 Tommy been released in 5.1 DVD-A AND SACD? Yes, you are right. Record companies keep lowering the bar to new all time levels of stupidity.

We don't need cheap black & white scans of Pete Townshend's cocktail napkins. How about a complete Quadrophenia 5.1???:howl And Who's Next, etc...

DVD Audio, Original recording remastered, 2004 $21.93- amazon

......or how about the soundtrack to the movie "Tommy"....multifunk up "Eyesight to the Blind" featuring Eric Clapton and Arthur Brown, "Acid Queen" featuring Tina Turner.....oh I give up.

the U.S. blu-ray & old UK Special Edition DVD of the "Tommy" movie have the Quintaphonic 5.0 mix! (y)

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/tommy-on-blu-ray-in-quintaphonic-sound.228390/

From Wikipedia:

"The original release of Tommy used a sound system devised by sound engineer John Mosely called "Quintaphonic Sound".At the time that the film was in production various "Quadraphonic" (four speaker) sound systems were being marketed to the domestic HiFi market. Some of these were so-called "matrix" systems which combined the four original channels into two which could be recorded on, or transmitted by, existing two-channel stereo systems such as LP records or FM radio. John Mosely used one of these systems (QS from Sansui) to record front left, front right, back left and back right channels on the left and right tracks of a four-track magnetic striped print of the Cinemascope type. A discrete center channel was also recorded on the center track of the print. The fourth (surround) track on the striped print was left unused. In addition John Mosely used DBX noise reduction on the magnetic tracks.Unlike the usual multiple small surround speakers used in cinemas, the Quintaphonic system specified just two rear speakers, but of the same type as those used at the front.
One problem that arose was that by the 1970s the four-track magnetic sound system was largely moribund. Only a few theatres were equipped with the necessary magnetic playback heads etc. and of those that did in many cases it was not in working order. So in addition to installing the extra electronics and rear speakers John Mosely and his team had to repair and align the basic magnetic playback equipment. So each theatre that showed Tommy using the Quintaphonic system had to be specially prepared to take the film. In this respect there is a similarity between Tommy and Walt Disney's Fantasia, for which a special sound system (Fantasound) had been devised and required each theatre that showed it in the original release to be specially prepared. Also, like Fantasound, Quintaphonic Sound was never used again.
Tommy was later released with mono, conventional four-track magnetic and Dolby Stereo soundtracks."

How long until the controllers of the Band and the Doors re-re-re-release their catalogues too?
The two best doors albums still haven't come out, even on CD. That would be Best of the Doors (quad) and Weird Scenes. These would be excellent money makers, or don't they like money?

I'd be hoping for Blu-ray for Tommy. I'd probably only buy it if it was a standalone item.

There was a bootleg of almost all the demos for this project, maybe that's what one disc will be.

I used to have that bootleg on CD. It's Townshend doing (almost) all the track totally alone for the rest of the band to learn their bits. It's wonderful and deserves a proper release.

Details on the set are out.

Super-Deluxe Edition (UPC 006025 37473960)

Disc 1 – The original album (2013 re-master)
Digitally re-mastered in HD

Disc 2 – The demos and out-takes
Features 20 previously unreleased tracks from Pete Townshend’s demo archive.

Disc 3 – The 5.1 album mix – Hi Fidelity Pure Audio Blu-ray
The complete album remixed in surround sound on new Hi Fidelity Pure Audio Blu-ray format

Disc 4 – The live ‘bootleg’ album
Features 21 previously-unreleased tracks from various live shows from 1969

Hardback 80-page full-colour book featuring rare period photos and memorabilia

20,000-word essay by legendary Who aficionado Richard Barnes

Rare facsimile Tommy poster

Limited edition, housed in a hard-back deluxe slip-case

It also looks like the blu-ray will be available as a standalone, but only with the 5.1 of the original album, no bonus tracks or stereo remaster.

Complete track listing here.

If it's priced reasonably I think I can be easily convinced to buy it.

I have the DVD-A and the SACD, but might do the single Blu Ray just to support the cause. What would really excite me is if Pete decided to do the rest of Quadrophenia and release that as a single Blu Ray. :)

What a shame that we have to buy the same titles over and over again (DSOTM, Tommy, Layla, etc) just "to show support" for the surround releases, spending money on something we already own many times over with the faint glimmer of hope that some record company suit will say "Hey, these 5.1 releases are selling while CDs have not, let's get more 5.1 discs out there"

To paraphrase an old quad track "Time keeps on ticking into the future"

Back