Sly and Robbie - Superthruster 5.1 DVDV EP

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inquadwetrust

300 Club - QQ All-Star
I found this curio for a quid in a local charity shop in Forest Hill:

photo.jpg

It's two dub tunes in PCM stereo and discrete DD5.1. The videos are taken from the Anime 'Ghost In The Shell' mixed with some new content featuring a CG Sly and Robbie. Dated 2000 I've not seen this one before. The tunes are good and the mix is surprisingly expansive and very dubby! The DD sounds pretty good, a little artifacting going on in the mids but worth a listen if you come across it.

View attachment 10961

It's two dub tunes in PCM stereo and discrete DD5.1. The videos are taken from the Anime 'Ghost In The Shell' mixed with some new content featuring a CG Sly and Robbie. Dated 2000 I've not seen this one before. The tunes are good and the mix is surprisingly expansive and very dubby! The DD sounds pretty good, a little artifacting going on in the mids but worth a listen if you come across it.

Back in the dark age of $7,000 Lexicon DC-Whatevers, outboard Marantz DP-870s and Enlightened Audio Design Theatremasters, I used this DVD and its soft core cousin "Strip To The Bone" to demonstate discrete surround music. Useless tidbit, the softcore Strip To The Bone girls were "filmed" by Jeff Stein,the director of The Kids Are Alright rock documentary.

Back in the dark age of $7,000 Lexicon DC-Whatevers, outboard Marantz DP-870s and Enlightened Audio Design Theatremasters, I used this DVD and its soft core cousin "Strip To The Bone" to demonstate discrete surround music. Useless tidbit, the softcore Strip To The Bone girls were "filmed" by Jeff Stein,the director of The Kids Are Alright rock documentary.

Boom! Great insight triggered by a left field charity shop trawl. Thanks for the additional info :smokin

My apologies, that's a ton of info about the background. What else were you demoing around that time?

The usual suspects, DTS CDs of Gaucho and Lyle Lovett, they may have been low bit rate but they sounded sweet. Nine Inch Nails sounded awesome in Lexicon's logic-7 matrix mode. The Eagles Hell Freezes Over stereo laserdisc.

At the time, DTS was pretty much the only game in town. Those DTS disc don't get much respect but they got a whole new generation interested in surround music. It's a shame that the public turned away in favor if lie resolution crap MP3s and craptastic earbuds.

mdm08033
Thanks- you just made my day or maybe the month too. Yep, I hope it is true. smiling away

The usual suspects, DTS CDs of Gaucho and Lyle Lovett, they may have been low bit rate but they sounded sweet. Nine Inch Nails sounded awesome in Lexicon's logic-7 matrix mode. The Eagles Hell Freezes Over stereo laserdisc.

At the time, DTS was pretty much the only game in town. Those DTS disc don't get much respect but they got a whole new generation interested in surround music. It's a shame that the public turned away in favor if lie resolution crap MP3s and craptastic earbuds.

Your welcome. I still get my jollies recommending gear and upgrades to friends and coworkers. One actually took my advice and I was happy to hear him tell stories of his own living room demos.

He had a pair of ten year old Definitive Technology main speakers and a mish mash of other speakers. We called Definitive and got the model numbers for the original matching center and surrounds. Gene found the top of the line center on Craigslist for $125 and a pair of $1200 new old stock dipole surrounds for $400. Next came a real subwoofer, and HDMI receiver. All this new gear eventually lead to a 65" plasma. Gene is thrilled and the system sounds great. He has even bought a few Surround audio discs including the Chicago quadio DVD.

Cheers and happy listening, Michael

"Strip to the Bone" looks interesting and contains 2 of the 3 tracks available on the "Superthruster" DVD. Why would one have both?

My suspicion would be that, as it seems from my Internet research, the tracks on the "Strip to the Bone" DVD are edited down to only a few minutes each, while on the accompanying CD, most of them run between 7 and 9 minutes. Could it be that the Superthruster DVD has complete versions?

Musically, how intriguing is the "Strip to the Bone" DVD? I have listened to some of the tracks on grooveshark and they're pretty cool, but a bit stretched.

View attachment 10961

Proof positive that old threads never die on QQ.....

All I did was search for anime (my other passion) & I came up with three hits. This one was the most interesting. I had never heard of Sly & Robbie until now. I found the video on youtube & inmmediatly liked it. I will have to explore more of their music. I should point out that the animation is not from Ghost in the Shell series tho it certainly evokes the same mood.

So I see Amazon has a new DVD available for cheap. I'm off to order it right now.

Back