Quad LP/Tape Poll Beck, Jeff, Group: Rough and Ready [SQ/Q8]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate "Rough and Ready"

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 5: Mediocrity Central

• 1: Sux

• Total voters

EMB

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
Epic EQ 30973 from 1971.

Side 1:

Got the Feeling
Situation
Short Business
Raynes Park Blues

Side 2:

I've Been Used
New Ways Train Train
Jody

Beck Rough & Ready SQ.jpeg

ED :)

An '8' here, some strong material, a few not that strong, but fine mix puts this one in the 'must have' category.

ED :)

The SQ transferred DVDA version I have uses the UK listing which renames 'Raynes Park Blues' as 'Max's Tune'. Whatever it's called it really could have been left off. Meandering and moody, it lacks Bobby Tench's soaring vocal to anchor it. The rest is pretty awesome stuff, 'New Ways/Train Train' would be my favourite cut, tumbling in from the rears. There is a really nice presence to the whole album though, with sharp mixing and channel placement throughout. 10.

Very nice, I actually like "I've Been Used" more than any other song, but wish it could have ended differently. That track sounds a bit like Joe Walsh (music - not vocals) and I do like Joe. A strong album throughout, excepting maybe Raynes Park Blues. Sound quality is very good. Another "8". So happy I have all this original Quad music to listen to. Have the house to myself this week so I am putting some miles on the turntable...

I like this one a lot too! I've had it for quite a while, but had never before heard it in quad. BTW again these Epic albums surprise me, the Involve SQSM gives me a nice surround stereo in SQ mode both from the labeled "Stereo" US vinyl LP and the late 80's / early 90's CD.

I think this must be one of the earliest released recording with Cozy Powell on drums (another Brummie who's style I just looove) he has a groove, but at the same time he sounds heavy, like he means it! :D The whole album has the Motown feel to it, wasn't JB also "visiting" some Stevie Wonder sessions? :rolleyes:

I like this one a lot too! I've had it for quite a while, but had never before heard it in quad. BTW again these Epic albums surprise me, the Involve SQSM gives me a nice surround stereo in SQ mode both from the labeled "Stereo" US vinyl LP and the late 80's / early 90's CD.

I think this must be one of the earliest released recording with Cozy Powell on drums (another Brummie who's style I just looove) he has a groove, but at the same time he sounds heavy, like he means it! :D The whole album has the Motown feel to it, wasn't JB also "visiting" some Stevie Wonder sessions? :rolleyes:

You should pick up the Sony Japan SACD that has the discrete quad mix. It's a bit pricey but a blast to listen to.

I voted 9 on the SQ LP. I pulled it out since the Japan 7" just arrived and I will be giving it a listen in the coming days. The songs are great, the mix as well, although as usual with SQ separation is not the best making it sound a bit messy at times. The -1 point is for the sound quality. The LP sounds bright, the low end seems to be missing. Sonically this is not top tier... I do hope that the SACD improves on this aspect.

Back