INVOLVE - COMING NEW TECHNOLOGY

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi sfactor23

BUT FIRST THANKS TO JON FOR GETTING THIS GREAT SITE UP AND RUNNING AGAIN!!!

In answer to your question these speakers are a bit of over kill for computers as they get rid of the sweat spot and center the image for all positions in the room. With a computer you are always in the sweet spot! We will probably release a simpler / cheaper straight mini electrostatic for that purpose. If you look at the background of David's desk in the above panel photo's you will see a prototype set of these PC speakers we did back in 2007, with a mini sub they sound awesome.......Actually Dwight heard them when he visited us.

Regards

chucky

Hey Chucky -
Dumb question: would these speakers be appropriate as desktop computer speakers (like Magnepan's Mini Maggies)?

Chucky, you probably made this clear somewhere but I'm still a tad confused. Is the magic of total perspective just in the speakers? Or is it a technology that can be added in the audio chain of an existing setup? Like a box to put between the surround master and the receiver? Thanks!

Hi Q8

Total Perspective needs the funny looking speakers and a separate DSP box that splits the individual speaker signals into two separate components. The net effect is that the system acts as a magnitude and time delay equalizer throughout the seated area. We have produced this electronic box and currently it is in the same plastic enclosure as the Surround Master but this will change soon as we are developing our self contained system.

So in a 4 channel setup the system actually requires 8 channels of amplification. (At least the amplifier manufacturers should love us).

Regards

Chucky

Between you and Dolby, I need to buy stock in Amplifier makers!

Also, are there any official movie or music releases in. Involve yet? I would think that would be critical of the success of Involve. No matter how big or small of a project, there needs to be some official Involve media from someone to start generating more interest.

Also, now that you are making an Involve encoder, you may want to think about creating a product that revolutionizes surround mixing. Maybe something that overcomes current surround engineer gripes?

Also, I wanted to put the bug in your ear that I think you should create some sort of software Involve encoder Even if it's not live. Maybe even look in to creating a plugin for one of the big time audio engineering programs? Who uses hardware encoding processes during mastering anymore? Plus it would be cheaper and easier worldwide distribution so engineers can try it out. I know your business model is hardware, but a software encoder could be the loss leader you need to sell more Involve hardware. Plus it may have more consistant results than the hardware.

Sorry if I sound like I'm trying to tell you how to do your job. You do it wonderfully. I just think software encoding would be pretty key to industry acceptance anymore.

Hi Q8

Your comments are spot on and clearly that is the direction we want to go. We hope to have news on the pro encoder early next year.

I think Bob Romano, Disclord and maybe Dwight have made recordings using Involve.

Regards

chucky

Hi All

Here is the latest render of the front of the new Total Perspective/ Involve bookshelf surround system. The amplifier/ controller box is not shown, Dave and Chris (we stole him from Swinburne University) are working on it. The system is 330mm high. We are committed to being ready for manufacture by April next year.

Regards

Chucky

Attachments

• U5.5_3_2 & YB_5_0 2.jpg
    U5.5_3_2 & YB_5_0 2.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 618
Hi Again

Things are moving along thanks to Chris, here is what our bookshelf surround system with Total Perspective and Involve decode will look like:

Regards

Chucky

Attachments

• 4.1 Setup_1_1.jpg
    4.1 Setup_1_1.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 613
gorgeous!!! if the system sounds as good as it looks ...
:)

Hi Again

Things are moving along thanks to Chris, here is what our bookshelf surround system with Total Perspective and Involve decode will look like:

Regards

Chucky

Hi All

As promised here is a sneak peek at the insides of the coming studio Involve encoder/ decoder. If you look closely you will note that something is missing ----THE BOX!!! Hopefully it will be a week away.

Regards

Chucky

Attachments

• IMAG0313.jpg
    IMAG0313.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 532
Me again

Just thought I would keep you fanatics up to date on our progress with commercializing our technology more aimed to the great unwashed mass market. Things are really busy in our little funny farm and we are booked in for the first public viewing of our new consumer range in the "Glenferrie festival" -(Swinburne festival of ideas) as the central exhibit showcasing the University's industry participation. It will be on 4 May 2014 and we are expecting 75,000 passers by, I trust all of you loyal QQ'ers will hop on to a plane and fly down to Melbourne Australia (we will buy you a free coffee).

Below are some photo's of how it is looking. We will primarily be demo'ing the Y speaker surround system that includes our Involve decoder (now branded as Involve M) and our Total Perspective (TP) technology that gets rid of the evils of the center channel. The woofer is a dual 5.5 inch cone fully balanced configuration and before you start laughing the thing is an absolute Tardis (check your Dr Who) and gets way down to 40 Hz, its 6 dB better than our previous best effort.

The whole philosophy of the system is set and forget and always just connect to the stereo/ stereo summated outputs and let Involve M do the work.

Also included is our bare bones low cost stereo system that is upgradeable to surround.

Enjoy, I will be asking questions later.

Chucky

Attachments

• Y4_4_Hero_White.jpg
    Y4_4_Hero_White.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 472
  • Y4_4_Hero_Black.jpg
    Y4_4_Hero_Black.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 477
  • Y4_Front Amp_Black.jpg
    Y4_Front Amp_Black.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 475
  • Y2_Black.jpg
    Y2_Black.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 466
  • Y2_Black(1).jpg
    Y2_Black(1).jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 472
  • Y_Speakers_Woofer Black.jpg
    Y_Speakers_Woofer Black.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 468
  • Y_Speakers_Y Black.jpg
    Y_Speakers_Y Black.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 481
Hi Fredblue

Thanks for the feedback. The crossover is around 180 Hz, yep I know that's high in purist terms but most other n.1 bookshelf style systems crossovers are between 400 - 800Hz. But it is electrostatic from 180 Hz to whoopy.

Would love distributors EVERYWHERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any assistance will be rewarded.

In regards to AV receivers - wash your mouth out with soap. They are nearly as evil as the dreaded center channel in my book. I refer to a recent article that I agree with - so it must be right.

http://www.cnet.com/news/how-to-save-the-av-receiver/

If you want AM / FM radio I suggest you get a tuner. Our philosophy is to standardize on stereo (or even better Involve stereo encode) as the universal carrier and let Involve decode do the work. That way Joe Average does not need to thing just put the disc, record, cassette on an all is well.

Our system uses a separate rear slave amplifier box to drive the rear speakers and has both hard wired and wireless links so no wires front to back. The main front unit has 2 RCA inputs, 3 HDMI and one Bluetooth input. I view HDMI as a creation of the major brands to keep the little guys out, the rotten thing costs $15,000 per year plus over a dollar on each unit sold. Wish I was clever enough to develop such a hopeless system.

Oh here is a closer view of our front/ back amps

Regards

Chucky
looks gorgeous! what's the crossover set at? 80hz?

are you looking for distributors outside of Oz?

I wish you guys made AV Receivers!

Attachments

• Y4_Stacked.jpg
    Y4_Stacked.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 456
This is exactly how they make this hard for the little guys. Ever try to defend a patent? I did not even file when we had an item that was brand new technology, if we had to sue Sony, well, would not go well for anyone but lawyers. Good Luck Chucky! Nice looking gear.
Hi Fredblue

I view HDMI as a creation of the major brands to keep the little guys out, the rotten thing costs $15,000 per year plus over a dollar on each unit sold. Wish I was clever enough to develop such a hopeless system.

Oh here is a closer view of our front/ back amps

Regards

Chucky

This is exactly how they make this hard for the little guys. Ever try to defend a patent? I did not even file when we had an item that was brand new technology, if we had to sue Sony, well, would not go well for anyone but lawyers. Good Luck Chucky! Nice looking gear.

Reminds me of a conversation I had a few years back with a veteran audio designer. He longed for the days where innovative design was the key everyone was looking for when buying audio gear. Not a multitude of features and connectors, each of which required licensing payments and review by the respective patent owners and licensing companies....

Reminds me of a conversation I had a few years back with a veteran audio designer. He longed for the days where innovative design was the key everyone was looking for when buying audio gear. Not a multitude of features and connectors, each of which required licensing payments and review by the respective patent owners and licensing companies....

And HDMI also needs processors in each piece of hardware to "handshake" with "secret keys" before signal is allowed to pass. The big guys figured out how to incorporate copy protection via hardware and pass the added cost to the consumer. My fear is that when analog connections are not available, no hobbyist, developer, or engineer will be able to get a signal from a media player into an amplifier without joining the hdmi.org club and paying dues. That would impede innovation by shutting out those without ten or fifteen thousand dollars to pay just for that "connector".

Back