INVOLVE - COMING NEW TECHNOLOGY

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd rather have a Quad-scope simulation than VU meters.
Although you could have both, selectable by the user.
here you have one.
fine example of advances of digital era, everything fast and cheap :p

Quad-scope simulation.JPG

you know, this VU meters doesn't have much purpose other than aesthetic so what sort of legacy you're talking about.
quadraphonic era already in very distant past and let's face it - how many of music consumers has quadraphonic mediums (LPs, reels, Q8) to hold tight to "legacy"?
to be honest, i could settle for unit with functions of "switch box" without much bells and whistles but with big beautiful analog VU which shows all channels for my
MODERN discs and files. in ideal would be if Involve build such unit with ability join and utilize UPnP and Home WiFi, rather than all those "Tape Monitor", "Phono",
"AUX", "SQ Decoder", "CD-4 Decoder" and such. the world doesn't shows willingness to return back to use analog audio reproduction at consumers level in significant
share of market for at least next 50-100 years.

Oh dear, I seem to have fallen foul of the difficulties in expressing irony in text - my
I did warn this forum about the only legally acceptable way to show the meters!!!
was intended with tongue firmly planted in cheek! Of course this product needs to embrace old and new, I'm sure the guys will be able to do that.

Hi Soundfield

All good points, the size is up in the air at the moment and it is governed by the back panel. Chris will be looking at that this week. The additional delay is an idea to adjust for equal time arrival of front and rear signals for any relative position of the seated area. Also some folk may prefer to deliberately and a small amount of rear delay...still thinking about it.

Regards

Chucky

Or they may wish to set the delay to zero. It's all about choices. :)

The tape monitor needs to be 4 channel................we have Q4 and Q8 decks.

Also, the 5.1 input should NOT be a bypass input. It needs to go through (at least) the volume control and have switchable Bass Management!

Hello,

I would also like to write my wishes.

Headphones:
If we think about headphone jacks, then it should also be able to give the (old) Quadro headphones (I have more than 60 pieces) to connect to the two jacks.

Scope:
Is it not reasonable that scope as to send over an HDMI output on a flat screen. That would be a nice animation.

The device should have all the possibilities of decoding. At least SQ, QS and CD-4.
If it must be turned off when switching, so would the switch controland switch the on / off function! (Almost automatically)

So I think the opportunities well and am very interested.

Good luck - I want to stay informed

Hi fizzywigga41

Actually we made one in the horrible plastic box and no one purchased one! Think it was about the same price as the SM it was an Involve/ QS encode version. Doing SQ encode is way different.

Regards

Chucky

Hi fizzywigga41

Actually we made one in the horrible plastic box and no one purchased one! Think it was about the same price as the SM it was an Involve/ QS encode version. Doing SQ encode is way different.

Regards

Chucky

Good to know, thanks.

I would suggest the possibility of a decoder/encoder combo.Given all the discreet material available, SACD, DVD, DVDA, etc.and it would require (as legacy quad encoders had) a center channel which folds down to front left right or combined.

Anyway just throwing it out to think about.

Would be such "that's a highly sophistomacated doowacky" as Homer Simpson said.:confused:

1. Remote
"[4] Remote, very useful, rear delay might be a useful Up/Down to get best in a seating position"
Rear delay would be handy to have on the remote, we'll look into it.

2. Display dimming
"[7] Display dimming. Rather than a pot could you not do it via a screen up/down slider function?"
We'll evaluate a few ideas when we go to making the unit and choose the best from them, the below are the ideas so far. What we choose will depend on what we're able to code, cost, functionality etc.
A) Dimmer pot, stepped or variable
B) Slider on display (in an options screen), would need button(s) on remote so that when the screen is off you can turn it on.

3. EQ
"I'm not a fan of this idea (or of any tone controls frankly) just another bit of circuitry / signal processing to get in the way of the signal (even when "flat"). There's a good reason most high end equipment avoids them. I doubt anyone uses them anyway after a quick fiddle when first out of the box! I'd urge you to avoid this facility."
DuncanS - "[9] I'm not sure about the EQ, could be useful, might not, I probably wouldn't use them, my Pioneer SC-LX86 Amp EQs the room, so has no tone controls."
We've had talks at Involve and it looks like we'll be leaving EQ out of the initial firmware. When and if we do add it, when disabled by the user it will be as if the EQ circuitry is not even there.

4. Pointers on Pots
rustyandi - " If you do use Pots for control of the channels. Could there be a pointer on the knobs to show the levels from a distance?"
I haven't started looking at specific knobs yet. They would definitely at least have a line on them. Do you mean the pots with a physical protrusion though Rustyandi, like this one?
pot with pointer.jpg

5. Saving Settings
"The setting of software switches / selections should be retained at switch off. I don’t want to have to set it up every time I switch it on, although I’d be happy to be greeted by the Involve logo on the display while it sorts itself out and then reverts to my last display mode."
That was the plan! Have you been reading our minds?

6. Wifi, DLNA, and the like
"...in ideal would be if Involve build such unit with ability join and utilize UPnP and Home WiFi, rather than all those "Tape Monitor", "Phono""
The idea at the moment is to have bluetooth as a feature for those who wish to connect wirelessly. Phones nowadays have all the capability for wifi, streaming etc, so the phone can do the internet stuff. You can also get high quality audio streaming devices out there that plug into hi-fi systems.

7. 4 channel Tape monitoring
"The tape monitor needs to be 4 channel................we have Q4 and Q8 decks."

We'll look into this.

8. 5.1 Direct in
"Also, the 5.1 input should NOT be a bypass input. It needs to go through (at least) the volume control and have switchable Bass Management!"
Have no fear, the 5.1 has only ever been thought of as bypassing the Involve Decode (so that you can do comparisons or hook up external decoders), it will most certainly be pre-volume and bass management and all that jazz.

9. Quadro Headphones
"If we think about headphone jacks, then it should also be able to give the (old) Quadro headphones (I have more than 60 pieces) to connect to the two jacks."
That's a very intriguing idea, we'll definitely look into it.

10. Screens through hdmi
"Is it not reasonable that scope as to send over an HDMI output on a flat screen. That would be a nice animation."
We like the idea, but don't know how feasible it is for us to do. We will definitely look into it as well.

Thanks again for all your thoughts,

Chris

Thanks for the update Chris. My comments are as follows:

1. Remote
“Rear delay would be handy to have on the remote, we'll look into it.”
OK.

2. Display dimming
We'll evaluate a few ideas when we go to making the unit and choose the best from them, the below are the ideas so far. What we choose will depend on what we're able to code, cost, functionality etc.
A) Dimmer pot, stepped or variable
B) Slider on display (in an options screen), would need button(s) on remote so that when the screen is off you can turn it on.”

OK, not a big issue, just do whatever’s easiest.

3. EQ
“We've had talks at Involve and it looks like we'll be leaving EQ out of the initial firmware. When and if we do add it, when disabled by the user it will be as if the EQ circuitry is not even there.”
A very sensible approach.

4. Pointers on Pots
“I haven't started looking at specific knobs yet. They would definitely at least have a line on them. Do you mean the pots with a physical protrusion though Rustyandi, like this one?
pot with pointer.jpg”

I can’t get excited about this, just so long as you don’t end up with something that makes the unit look like some ancient piece of test equipment (although as any such pointer is not going to point to any actual calibration I’m not really sure what the purpose would be).

5. Saving Settings
“That was the plan! Have you been reading our minds?”
I have, and it was a deeply troubling experience!!

“The idea at the moment is to have bluetooth as a feature for those who wish to connect wirelessly. Phones nowadays have all the capability for wifi, streaming etc, so the phone can do the internet stuff. You can also get high quality audio streaming devices out there that plug into hi-fi systems.”
A very sensible approach.

7. 4 channel Tape monitoring
“We'll look into this.”
I have no strong feelings (or indeed a 4ch tape deck!). I just wonder how many people would actually need or use such a facility. Most people don’t even have 2ch recorders these days.

8. 5.1 Direct in
“Have no fear, the 5.1 has only ever been thought of as bypassing the Involve Decode (so that you can do comparisons or hook up external decoders), it will most certainly be pre-volume and bass management and all that jazz.”
A very sensible approach. Although as a musical purist, the mention of ‘bass management’ sets alarms bells faintly ringing – I trust any such manipulation would be capable of being given a very thorough switching off!

9. Quadro Headphones
“That's a very intriguing idea, we'll definitely look into it.”
Really? – Quad headphones were a daft idea that never did work (for the simple reason that they scientifically cannot work!). I suspect that is why bevergerner has so many of the things – everyone else who ever tried them threw them out!

10. Screens through hdmi
“We like the idea, but don't know how feasible it is for us to do. We will definitely look into it as well.”
Yes, this idea also occurred to me, but I didn’t propose it as I thought it would be probably be very difficult / disproportionately expensive. It would be cool though (I’d buy one for that function alone!).

Cheers,
Soundfield.

Last edited:

The idea at the moment is to have bluetooth as a feature for those who wish to connect wirelessly. Phones nowadays have all the capability for wifi, streaming etc, so the phone can do the internet stuff. You can also get high quality audio streaming devices out there that plug into hi-fi systems.

Chris
actually i meant something else.
standalone unit, hooked to main home audio/video system, has HDD storage bay, good processor, plenty of memory and ability to
connect and utilize home network. sort of foobar2000 recreated in hardware way and potential to play anything you throw in it:
DVD-A, SACD, ISO, AOB, DSD, DIFF, DTS-HD MA, FLAC, Dolby True HD, etc. as well as video. on top of this has reserved option firmware
upgrade if necessity arise.

something like this but with better processing quality, good documentation and tech support.
View attachment 25901

Hi All

Below are the latest version looks at the pro studio encoder/ decoder .....including back panel. Any comments?

Regards

Chucky

Attachments

• PE2-R2.3.jpg
    PE2-R2.3.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 257
  • PE2-R2.2.jpg
    PE2-R2.2.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 263
  • PE2-R2.1.jpg
    PE2-R2.1.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 263
That's a nice looking piece of kit Chucky. Those knobs and handles would be good on the pre-amp too.

hey guys from down under, can Involve do something like this?
plays every HiRez surround format from files or image
has internal swappable HDD
integrable to home WiFi network
able to sync with PC
plays main video formats (mpeg, mp4, avi, mkv, etc.)
has built-in decoders for SQ, QS, CD-4 thus recorded LP can be processed thru in either .wav or .flac format
buil-in involve surround decoder...
...etc.

involve2.jpg

:p

Dear All

Here is a 3D look at the design of the internal boards of the new studio pro Involve encoder/ decoder

Regards

Chucky

Attachments

• 3D Encoder 4.jpg
    3D Encoder 4.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 252
  • 3D Encoder 3.jpg
    3D Encoder 3.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 256
  • 3D Encoder 2.jpg
    3D Encoder 2.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 246
  • 3D Encoder 1.jpg
    3D Encoder 1.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 252
hey guys from down under, can Involve do something like this?
plays every HiRez surround format from files or image
has internal swappable HDD
integrable to home WiFi network
able to sync with PC
plays main video formats (mpeg, mp4, avi, mkv, etc.)
has built-in decoders for SQ, QS, CD-4 thus recorded LP can be processed thru in either .wav or .flac format
buil-in involve surround decoder...
...etc.

View attachment 25922

:p

I think you're talking about a rather different product to the pre-amp we've been discussing so far - but I have to say I rather like the minimalist design idea.

Back