Oppo club

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone know where I can find OPPO bdp-103/105 ISO firmware? Any clear direction would be greatly appreciated! (US version) SACD, DVD-A, and BDA ISOs

PM me please with any information regarding this! Thank you.

Contact Oppo. They will help you in ways that no other electronic maker will. Having been through CS from them, I have never seen such a good response. I have had them deal with an issue on a holiday. Never expected it, this best place to take any issue is the maker. No other company will do this for you.

Hi there!
I think I threw the question in the wrong thread. Here is it: I’m thinking to upgrade my oppo BDP-95 and the oppo BDP-203 seems to be the one. I stopped to use the analogue outputs in the 95 because, to my ears, the HDMI bus delivers a better sound (higher volume and more detail perceived), so I won’t step back. Given that, in terms of audio, does the oppo 203 would deliver a better digital signal than my 95? As far as I understand, either of them will send the same zeros and ones (beat stream signal) to the A/V Receiver, so no improve in sound would be expected right ? I’m not sure the same applies to the video signal which I think is decoded before it’s sent.

By the way, one disadvantage of this new oppo model is that HDCD is not supported any more

Thanks for your comments!

Hi there!
I think I threw the question in the wrong thread. Here is it: I’m thinking to upgrade my oppo BDP-95 and the oppo BDP-203 seems to be the one. I stopped to use the analogue outputs in the 95 because, to my ears, the HDMI bus delivers a better sound (higher volume and more detail perceived), so I won’t step back. Given that, in terms of audio, does the oppo 203 would deliver a better digital signal than my 95? As far as I understand, either of them will send the same zeros and ones (beat stream signal) to the A/V Receiver, so no improve in sound would be expected right ? I’m not sure the same applies to the video signal which I think is decoded before it’s sent.

By the way, one disadvantage of this new oppo model is that HDCD is not supported any more

Thanks for your comments!

The source is the best information available
www.oppodigital.com
They will respond immediately, any question, and there are no stupid questions! Oppo will give you superior CS!

I was doubtful years ago, Had never heard the brand. Once I gave in, and I bought the cheapest model then, that little sucker had the best PQ on dvd's I had ever seen, plus it played all my high res collection with class! I am going on my 4th Oppo soon. I will never buy another brand disc player ever.

The source is the best information available
www.oppodigital.com
They will respond immediately, any question, and there are no stupid questions! Oppo will give you superior CS!

I was doubtful years ago, Had never heard the brand. Once I gave in, and I bought the cheapest model then, that little sucker had the best PQ on dvd's I had ever seen, plus it played all my high res collection with class! I am going on my 4th Oppo soon. I will never buy another brand disc player ever.

You’re right leevitalone1, these guys at oppo are amazing! Here’s what they answered:

“...When using HDMI the player is a transport, so two players with HDMI should sound identical. So there is no reason to purchase the UDP-205 if you will be using HDMI primarily for audio as the UDP-203 will sound just as good.

The BDP-95 and the UDP-205 sound better because of analog audio output circuitry.

When comparing the audio formats supported by the BPD-95 and the UDP-203, yes, the UDP-203 has an advantage in that it can playback audio formats that your BDP-95 can't, but for the formats that both support, there is no difference in HDMI audio performance.”

So, everything is clear now. (y)

You’re right leevitalone1, these guys at oppo are amazing! Here’s what they answered:

“...When using HDMI the player is a transport, so two players with HDMI should sound identical. So there is no reason to purchase the UDP-205 if you will be using HDMI primarily for audio as the UDP-203 will sound just as good.

The BDP-95 and the UDP-205 sound better because of analog audio output circuitry.

When comparing the audio formats supported by the BPD-95 and the UDP-203, yes, the UDP-203 has an advantage in that it can playback audio formats that your BDP-95 can't, but for the formats that both support, there is no difference in HDMI audio performance.”

So, everything is clear now. (y)

When you latch on to something as good as the CS is here, it sets the bar! Like I said, I will never buy another disc player other than an Oppo. It was the guys here who convinced me about them long ago.
Then one day at a forum at a music magazine, I got into a conversation about the ability's of the Oppo. The person was adamant on his opinion. I then contacted Oppo, to support my opinions, with intent of copy and paste the answer -Oppo responded ok, directly on the forum!, to the person I was discussing it with. And, it was a holiday to boot!
Then my 1st machine I gave to my son who had issues, they fixed it for free the issue was so minor! Now, try calling any other manufacturer and try to get even close to the CS support they offer here!
I have been accused of working for them, being paid for my opinions, I found a gem and all my point is to share the good fortune! Especially for us here!

The UDP-203 has an advantage in that it can playback audio formats that your BDP-95 can't.”

Very true. The 203 has the ability to play music files and downloads.
Which isn't part of the BDP-95.

The Oppo BDP-103 and BDP-105 have music file and downloads playback plus they allow you to copy the DSD (.DSF) files from SACD discs.

So moving up from the 95 does bring more to the party!
As I found when I upgraded my Oppo a few years ago from the 95 to 105. :)

Found out this weekend that my 203 doesn't play HDCD discs. I guess if I had been paying attention I would of known that.

I played the disc upstairs on the 'ol 83 and that machine recognized the HDCD. I'm pretty sure my previous 205 did as well.

Found out this weekend that my 203 doesn't play HDCD discs. I guess if I had been paying attention I would of known that.

I played the disc upstairs on the 'ol 83 and that machine recognized the HDCD. I'm pretty sure my previous 205 did as well.
The 205 and 203 are based on the same underlying architecture, so, no, the 205 does not decode HDCD. The 8X, 9X, and 10X players did, though.

I wouldn't panic about the 203/205 not being HDCD 'compatible'. I have a BDP-83 and a 103D, and HDCD disk playback sounds much better through my non-HDCD Bryston DAC connected digitally than it does through the OPPOs' internal HDCD DACs.

I was a huge HDCD fanboy, but it never really reached its full potential ... and some disks that activate the HDCD lamp are not true HDCDs anyway. The format allowed for a certain 'slight of hand' as far as HDCD software was concerned.

I wouldn't panic about the 203/205 not being HDCD 'compatible'. I have a BDP-83 and a 103D, and HDCD disk playback sounds much better through my non-HDCD Bryston DAC connected digitally than it does through the OPPOs' internal HDCD DACs.

I was a huge HDCD fanboy, but it never really reached its full potential ... and some disks that activate the HDCD lamp are not true HDCDs anyway. The format allowed for a certain 'slight of hand' as far as HDCD software was concerned.

Good point.

A Digital to Analog Converter (DAC) that is at the same price (or higher price) than a disc player will give better sound quality than an optical disc player like the Oppo.
That is due to the quality of the components in a standalone DAC. It explains why losing the HDCD circuit in the new Oppos (203 & 205) is more than offset when you play the music files from the optical disc via your DAC.

Good point.

A Digital to Analog Converter (DAC) that is at the same price (or higher price) than a disc player will give better sound quality than an optical disc player like the Oppo.
That is due to the quality of the components in a standalone DAC. It explains why losing the HDCD circuit in the new Oppos (203 & 205) is more than offset when you play the music files from the optical disc via your DAC.

OPPO's strength is that they play all formats with one player ... and they sound OK. They aren't spectacular, but they aren't terrible. I have an ancient SCD-C222ES Sony SACD changer, and it sounds better on SACD playback than my BDP-103D ... and my 2-channel Marantz SACD player sounds much better that the Sony.

I use my BDP-83 as a Blu-ray Audio / DVD-Audio transport via an HDMI connection to the Bryston DAC, and it works very well as a hi-rez stereo player when you bypass its internal analog audio. No player does everything well, but the OPPOs are convenient. They do a half-decent job of all formats, and they only require a single multichannel input. I know they have their fanboys, but there is a lot of hype.

OPPO's strength is that they play all formats with one player ... and they sound OK. They aren't spectacular, but they aren't terrible. I have an ancient SCD-C222ES Sony SACD changer, and it sounds better on SACD playback than my BDP-103D ... and my 2-channel Marantz SACD player sounds much better that the Sony.

I use my BDP-83 as a Blu-ray Audio / DVD-Audio transport via an HDMI connection to the Bryston DAC, and it works very well as a hi-rez stereo player when you bypass its internal analog audio. No player does everything well, but the OPPOs are convenient. They do a half-decent job of all formats, and they only require a single multichannel input. I know they have their fanboys, but there is a lot of hype.

It's not just the ability to play various formats...but also the build quality and "actual' customer service....plus the features for the price point..

oh ,man I am a BIG Oppo fan!!!!
and .. if I may...Oppos must be good , cause , if I'm not mistaken, one of the Cambridge Audio models is basically an Oppo in disguise.. right??

and .. if I may...Oppos must be good , cause , if I'm not mistaken, one of the Cambridge Audio models is basically an Oppo in disguise.. right??

That might be true, but Cambridge Audio doesn't have the best reputation for reliability ... at least on this side of the ocean.
I have 3 OPPO players (one isn't a Blu-ray model) and I like them a lot, but I wouldn't touch a Cambridge machine.
I did buy a CA DVD-Audio player some time ago, but it was dead right out of the box and went back to the shop.

That might be true, but Cambridge Audio doesn't have the best reputation for reliability ... at least on this side of the ocean.
I have 3 OPPO players (one isn't a Blu-ray model) and I like them a lot, but I wouldn't touch a Cambridge machine.
I did buy a CA DVD-Audio player some time ago, but it was dead right out of the box and went back to the shop.

Interestinnnng.. good to know.. at least in the UK, they are quite good!

Interestinnnng.. good to know.. at least in the UK, they are quite good!

Cambridge Audio became popular for its reasonably-priced 540P and 640P stand-alone phono preamps. They weren't the 'giant-killers' that they were hyped-up to be, but there also weren't that many competitors at the time. There were NAD and Phono Box units that were about the same price and quality, but when their collective success started to attract competition, they were easily overtaken by better-sounding preamps.

CA disk players were also quite popular at the time, and they sounded quite good; but they didn't prove to have the reliability of their phono preamps ... which were VERY simple designs, with not much to go wrong. The DVD-Audio player I bought wouldn't read disks right out of the box ... not even CDs. I would say that I dodged a bullet, but I replaced it with a Denon player ... and it was a horrible player.

I wonder if CA units are better in the UK because they are designed for European mains voltage. They fail because of heat issues, and maybe our 120 volt power system requires changes that create excessive power supply heat. The phono preamps use wall-warts, so they have no internal PS.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy my OPPO units. They just don't sound as good as some other units do.

Cambridge Audio isn't the only company using Oppo transports and players.

PS Audio uses an Oppo transport in their DirectStream Memory Player and Playback Designs offers a board (the OpBox Card) that fits inside the Oppo 103 for SACD playback and recording.
https://positive-feedback.com/show-reports/report-axpona-2016/

As the number of companies making universal disc player shrinks, Oppo is rapidly becoming one of the last games in town.

Cambridge Audio isn't the only company using Oppo transports and players.

PS Audio uses an Oppo transport in their DirectStream Memory Player and Playback Designs offers a board (the OpBox Card) that fits inside the Oppo 103 for SACD playback and recording.
https://positive-feedback.com/show-reports/report-axpona-2016/

As the number of companies making universal disc player shrinks, Oppo is rapidly becoming one of the last games in town.

And, I hope they continue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back