Oppo club

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys.....
I have a 103D, incredibly it is 'not' multi zone for DVDs despite it claiming to play anything.
Is there a software update or a tweak that can make it multi zone for DVDs?
I understand I need some electronic update to enable it to play all BluRay regions.

I recall there being a download that you can burn to CD. You insert the CD, the Oppo reads it and does it's thing, then spits it out. Voila, multi-region. I don't have any information on where to find it or if it's still available online. You'd have to google search. Also, I don't know how it affects the firmware. It might be a firmware, in which case it might not provide the best support for other features. My 103 is multi-zone without a hardware chip, fwiw. Sorry for the potentially confusing and unhelpful post! YMMV.
:confused: :mad:@:

Hello. Welcome. Time to start feeding it with surround goodies.
Oh I am, yes indeed it has played everything I've thrown at it so far, bar 1 which was a rip & burn of Fleetwood Macs say You Will. currently playing and enjoying immensely Return to Forever - Music Magic a downloaded and burned version of a four channel 8-track cartridge.

Just got this bad news directly from OPPO regarding the BDP-83:

"Unfortunately there are no additional SDK revisions which are being released by the decoder manufacturer, so we will not be able to work on additional firmware releases. So if a disc is released which is not compatible with the player, and we can't fix it with out current tools, then the disc will not be able to work in the player now or in the future."

Just got this bad news directly from OPPO regarding the BDP-83:

"Unfortunately there are no additional SDK revisions which are being released by the decoder manufacturer, so we will not be able to work on additional firmware releases. So if a disc is released which is not compatible with the player, and we can't fix it with out current tools, then the disc will not be able to work in the player now or in the future."

I long retired my OPPO BDP~83 for a newer OPPO BDP~105 and never looked back. A simply amazing 'machine.' But if you are contemplating a future OPPO purchase I would caution you to wait until they release the TRUE 4K Oppos...... release date unknown.

I long retired my OPPO BDP~83 for a newer OPPO BDP~105 and never looked back. A simply amazing 'machine.' But if you are contemplating a future OPPO purchase I would caution you to wait until they release the TRUE 4K Oppos...... release date unknown.

I just bought the Philips 4k player because I cannot wait till next year for 4k movies. When Oppo finally release it I will probably sell the 4k player and my Oppo sacd player and get it.

One reason to buy one of the current Oppos is that they can do something naughty that one previously needed to locate a particular gaming console to accomplish. My lips are sealed, but Google's aren't...

One reason to buy one of the current Oppos is that they can do something naughty that one previously needed to locate a particular gaming console to accomplish. My lips are sealed, but Google's aren't...

Nor are they sealed on this forum...there is quite a bit of dialogue about this.

They told me the 4K Oppo would be out 1st quarter 2017.

Btw, will there be universal 4K disc players, ie. will any of them support all disc formats?

An affordable multichannel dac would open up the market for sure. Minidsp has their USB mch dac which is affordable. Apart from that all the others out there are very pricey.

Currently I use the Oppo105 more or less as mch dac, as I play my files over ethernet to the Oppo. A standalone mch dac would be nice, although the new blu ray player series sound promosing to in this regard. Lets see how this will develop.

We'll see. It could also be a Stereo DAC that fits price wise between the Oppo HA-1 ($1,199) and HA-2 ($299) Stereo DACs.

Back