Oppo club

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And you will see improvement with non-4K displays with Dolby Vision. While not as flashy a name as 4K, it promises to deliver on visual improvements in the near term. Interesting times ahead.

It's a good idea that will probably never be implemented on a large scale...improving the quality of the pixels in a display is a good idea but that is only part of the equation..the problem comes on the other end of the chain...it requires more bandwidth and increased production costs for the source providers...I don't see this ever going mainstream.....I think the timing of this is all wrong....

My own personal experience (I have an Oppo 95) is that Room EQ with modern AVRs over HDMI improves sound more than 'higher quality' analog outputs of the high end Oppos. I have also read many opinions on the web stating same.

I have yet to hear a Room EQ I really like, but I admit to not having tried a whole lot of them. I prefer using "separates" for my system, and I don't upgrade my preamp/processor that often, but I am considering an upgrade in the next year or so.

I like the opposite route. Get the signal from the source to the speakers with as little interference as possible. Then deal with any problems with physical wall treatments.

This is what I have done so far. Using Room EQ has always concerned me. I believe most Room EQ processing is done at 48k/24bit, which feels like a compromise if your source is 96k/24bit.

I definitely prefer the 83SE analog outputs as compared to HDMI through my Emotiva preamp/processor. It has pretty decent DSP/DAC but not as good as the ones in the 83SE to my ears.

I am considering upgrading my Oppo to the 105, or upgrading my preamp to the Emotiva XMC-1 with Dirac Room EQ (when it is released). Upgrading to the XMC-1 may be a better value, but I'll hold tight until I see some reviews with Dirac. Kal, would you be reviewing the XMC-1?

It's a good idea that will probably never be implemented on a large scale...improving the quality of the pixels in a display is a good idea but that is only part of the equation..the problem comes on the other end of the chain...it requires more bandwidth and increased production costs for the source providers...I don't see this ever going mainstream.....I think the timing of this is all wrong....

We will see. With the partners Dolby has already lined up in the TV manufacturing and Color Grading worlds, I wouldn't bet against them.

This is what I have done so far. Using Room EQ has always concerned me. I believe most Room EQ processing is done at 48k/24bit, which feels like a compromise if your source is 96k/24bit.
I use Dirac at 24/192.

Kal, would you be reviewing the XMC-1?
Someday. I am waiting until they implement Dirac.

I have yet to hear a Room EQ I really like, but I admit to not having tried a whole lot of them. I prefer using "separates" for my system, and I don't upgrade my preamp/processor that often, but I am considering an upgrade in the next year or so.

I fully agree! I have tried it two times at home with my Denon AVR's and at both times the result has been vary bad. The soundfield has been narrowed, both the highs and the lows have been tamed into a very dull presentation.

However I have for a couple of year used a subwoofer equalizer (DSpeaker Anti-Mode 8033) connected on the LFE cable inbetween the AVR and the subwoofer. This one makes miracle in my room and my setting - taking away the unclear and boomy base while still keeping the deep base impact I am looking for. Costed me around 400 USD - highly recommended!

However I have for a couple of year used a subwoofer equalizer (DSpeaker Anti-Mode 8033) connected on the LFE cable inbetween the AVR and the subwoofer. This one makes miracle in my room and my setting - taking away the unclear and boomy base while still keeping the deep base impact I am looking for. Costed me around 400 USD - highly recommended!

Yes, I've heard of the Anti-Mode 8033. There are lots of good reviews on it, but I've never tried it myself. Deep bass is one of the hardest things to treat your room for, so I can understand how this can make a significant difference.

I fully agree! I have tried it two times at home with my Denon AVR's and at both times the result has been vary bad. The soundfield has been narrowed, both the highs and the lows have been tamed into a very dull presentation.

I have one of these myself, not only does it work but it's so easy to use, truly a plug and play device.

Still enjoying the Oppo 105EU alot. Since a while back to a direct connection to the power amps. Loving it and keeping it this way.

looking forward the new models due at the end of this year and what they will bring in terms of DLNA playback and media streaming :)

Still enjoying the Oppo 105EU alot. Since a while back to a direct connection to the power amps. Loving it and keeping it this way.

looking forward the new models due at the end of this year and what they will bring in terms of DLNA playback and media streaming :)

Me too Robert! I keep waiting for news from Oppo about the new models...I hope they don't jack up the price too much...

My BDP-103 will sometimes not play the audio when I try to watch audio/video content, such as a Netflix show or a video from a DVD-A/V.
Anybody else experience this? Generally, turning the BDP-103 off and on again solves the problem, though sometimes I have to do it a few times.

My BDP-103 will sometimes not play the audio when I try to watch audio/video content, such as a Netflix show or a video from a DVD-A/V.
Anybody else experience this? Generally, turning the BDP-103 off and on again solves the problem, though sometimes I have to do it a few times.

Sounds like a handshake issue if you're running HDMI, EB.

My only issue has been sometimes Netflix won't play any videos. A reboot of the player will fix it.

Hmmm... I do, indeed, run HDMI. I'm now researching handshake issues and I've come across the "Dual HDMI" capability of the 103. I wonder if I should be using that?
HDMI Output 1 to my projector and Output 2 to my receiver?

I have the 103 as well, and run two HDMI cables. But there really is no need unless your receiver will not pass 3D through to the display, then it pays to run direct from the 103 to the display if you have a 3D tv. I had the cables and thought going direct to the display might lessen the chances for degradation. If you have another HDMI cable, try that in place of the one you have to see if the issue goes away. I also use contact cleaner on occasions for the cable ends and/or the connections they plug into. HDMI can be a finicky mistress ;)

Edit: if you go to two cables, don't forget there will be a setting to change in the Oppo menu to reflect that move.

I have the BDP/95, which I love
Recently, YouTube, has stopped loading
I've tried full network re-boots, etc
Everything else works great
any ideas?

Back