Oppo club

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apparently there is a process to downgrade...

If that's with the Pro Mod Kit then beyond a certain Oppo firmware version that stopped working. I know because my 95 is beyond it and I can't downgrade despite having tried. If there is another method of downgrading then please PM me.

after separate dvd-a and sacd players, switched to OPPO with a 980, then a BDP-83, never went 3D, but I do wish it would play flac.

vinylguy4

The 95 does FLAC and full multichannel at that. BUT there's no gapless playback so it inserts small gaps between tracks, making it next to useless for FLAC playback. I'll stick to my Squeezebox Duet.

The 95 does FLAC and full multichannel at that. BUT there's no gapless playback so it inserts small gaps between tracks, making it next to useless for FLAC playback. I'll stick to my Squeezebox Duet.
vinylguy.
The 93 does flac, and I know where you could probably get a nice used one. (jon)

The 103 & 105 has graduated to using *cue files for gapless playback capability. Who knows?! Maybe, their next generation of players will have complete track by track gapless playback.

My music is all ripped as individual tracks in .flac files, it makes so much more sense to do it that way. Everything can be tagged for a start. I'll just keep using my SqueezeBox run through an Arcam rDAC, sounds every bit as good as the Oppo 95 but actually gets the streaming part right. For music streaming the only advantage the Oppo has is it will do multi channel, but there are so few multi channel flacs out there it's not a big deal. Nearly all of my multi channel music is retail SACD/DVD-A plus quad conversions on DVD-A (which could be multi channel flac but that isn't how anyone does them that I've found).

I have a BDP93 and BDP105, both region free. I run both with HDMI, and 7.1 analog out of the 105. I haven't installed the latest firmware, as it might restrict avi files?

Geoff

Why would the firmware restrict avi files? Is this a EU release restriction?

Whatever this means:

3. The new decoder firmware supplied by our chip vendor tightens the validation check for the AVCHD file format.
If the files in the BDMV folder do not fully comply with the AVCHD specification,the folder will not play.
(For example, if the files are from a disc backup instead of an original AVCHD recording, the player will reject it.)

Whatever this means:

3. The new decoder firmware supplied by our chip vendor tightens the validation check for the AVCHD file format.
If the files in the BDMV folder do not fully comply with the AVCHD specification,the folder will not play.
(For example, if the files are from a disc backup instead of an original AVCHD recording, the player will reject it.)

Sounds like they are talking about BD, not .avi files.

Exactly. I can assure you that avi files still play.

OK, thanks. I'm wary of updates after the iso situation. No other issues? I know there are more bass management crossover frequencies, for example, but I used 60 Hz anyway. so I haven't upgraded.

Geoff

Cheaper from Crutchfield. Less shipping distance too (about 800 miles away) so I'll wait until they get it in.

When will the silver BDP-105 be available?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_768BDP105S/Oppo-BDP-105-Silver.html

I've got plans for this one. Like, buying one. As for the coaxial input, what can you do with that? Just stereo, or could I do something like feed it the output from my LG BH200 Region B Blu-ray player into it and get dts HD decoded out of the Oppo. Probably not, right?

Coax cannot transfer hi res audio formats. DTS core yes, DTS HD no.

But why feed the outout of one blu ray player into another one? If you have an Oppo, I can't see what use an LG blu ray player is in addition. If you need to play multiple blu ray zones, just buy a multi zone modded Oppo.

Coax cannot transfer hi res audio formats. DTS core yes, DTS HD no.

But why feed the outout of one blu ray player into another one? If you have an Oppo, I can't see what use an LG blu ray player is in addition. If you need to play multiple blu ray zones, just buy a multi zone modded Oppo.
The LG player is also useful for playing the HD DVDs that I have still.

One other thing I was wondering about, does the Oppo lack CD TEXT ability? It doesn't look like the text would fit in the display space available.

I have a 105 and it sounds great. I am a little disappointed in its 5.1 analog output sound...it's not nearly as detailed or spatial compared to the HDMI connection to my Marantz 8801 (with Audyssey turned on).

I have a 105 and it sounds great. I am a little disappointed in its 5.1 analog output sound...it's not nearly as detailed or spatial compared to the HDMI connection to my Marantz 8801 (with Audyssey turned on).

Interesting! I'm curious. How are you using the analog outputs of the 105? Are you using the Multi-Channel outputs including L&R or are you using the Dedicated Stereo output?

Back