Oppo club

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm disappointed that you're disappointed. I hope I like it. But usually I will be doing stereo anyway, with the balanced outputs.

How long does it take to break one of these in, regarding the sound? The Sony ES5400 took several months, about 6, until it started sounding really good.

Interesting! I'm curious. How are you using the analog outputs of the 105? Are you using the Multi-Channel outputs including L&R or are you using the Dedicated Stereo output?

I'm using the 5.1 multi-channel outs to the multi-channel ins on my Marantz. I use the balanced stereo outs to my headphone amp.

I'm disappointed that you're disappointed. I hope I like it. But usually I will be doing stereo anyway, with the balanced outputs.

How long does it take to break one of these in, regarding the sound? The Sony ES5400 took several months, about 6, until it started sounding really good.

I replaced a Sony 5400 with the Oppo! I don't think it took that long, but I've not had it that long, either! Maybe it will further improve. Compared to the Sony, the Oppo is just as detailed but a little less "digital" sounding.

I'm using the 5.1 multi-channel outs to the multi-channel ins on my Marantz. I use the balanced stereo outs to my headphone amp.

So you are not using the dedicated stereo outs in your multi channel set up? It may be worth a try to use the dedicated outs instead of the FL and FR outs. You do need to change the settings in the Oppo though, see page 74 in the manual. Change to Front left/Front right, and the sound from the FL and FR will be routed trough the dedicated stereo outs, using the better architecture.

So you are not using the dedicated stereo outs in your multi channel set up? It may be worth a try to use the dedicated outs instead of the FL and FR outs. You do need to change the settings in the Oppo though, see page 74 in the manual. Change to Front left/Front right, and the sound from the FL and FR will be routed trough the dedicated stereo outs, using the better architecture.

I'll have to try that and report back!

Yes, would be a nice thing to try, connecting directly to his Parasound. I have my 105 connected directly to my Atoll amps and it sound very good.

I have too many other sources, plus my amp is in an awkward position to easily make the frequent connection changes. At some point convenience becomes a consideration!

Whoa...I made the switch and now it sounds fantastic! I regained the detail/depth and maintained the warmth! Thank you so much. Who says the internet is a waste of time? :)

The LG player is also useful for playing the HD DVDs that I have still.

One other thing I was wondering about, does the Oppo lack CD TEXT ability? It doesn't look like the text would fit in the display space available.

So it's an HD DVD player now? Last time you said the LG was a Blu Ray player. It can't be both, so which is it?

Can't answer the CD Text, I rip all my CDs and play them through SqueezeBox. Plus I have an Oppo 95 which might behave differently.

Whoa...I made the switch and now it sounds fantastic! I regained the detail/depth and maintained the warmth! Thank you so much. Who says the internet is a waste of time? :)

As Robert suggested, make sure you access the Setup Menu on the player, go into Audio Processing, scroll up one notch (or down to) and change the Stereo Signal setting to Front Left/Right instead of Down-mixed Stereo.

As Robert suggested, make sure you access the Setup Menu on the player, go into Audio Processing, scroll up one notch (or down to) and change the Stereo Signal setting to Front Left/Right instead of Down-mixed Stereo.

I did!

I also have a Samsung unit that plays both formats. It can't be made region-free so it's boxed up in the basement.

Hi everyone, :)

I've been an Oppo lurker for a while. I am not handsome, young, single & rich like some of you, nor am I older, divorced & have all my income to spend on audio gear like the rest of you! So I have been a bit shy to talk about my humble little Oppo and my 7 year old HDMI-less Denon receiver.

Well, I just hooked up my newish 2012 Onkyo TX-NR717 receiver HDMI to my Oppo DV-980H and set it to LPCM for DVD-Audio and DSD for SACD and I am in heaven. I am letting my receiver's Burr Brown D/A converters do the heavy lifting and my SACDs & DVD-Audio discs never sounded so good through my Difinitive Technology BP2002 Towers.

That Oppo is a masterpiece! I can't afford even the new 103 so I was frankly shocked how future proof the Oppo DV-980H is and I can do everything I need in 5.1 lossless.

Oppo rules!

P.S. I set my $49 refurbished LG blue ray player to bitstreaming and it had no problem playing my BluRay of RUSH-2112 (The Onkyo receiver did the DTS-HD decoding).

I am currently running no analog signaling at all(except for the amp's speakers out, of course.) I love the sound of my system. It has never sounded better.
Elton John Goodbye Yellow Brick Road & ELP - Brain Salad Surgery sound fabulous!

I wish I had the $$$ to buy more impressive gear, but it is so nice the Oppo does EVERYTHING so I can do this on such a small budget!

Oppo Rules! (I think I said that already...)

Hi everyone, :)

I've been an Oppo lurker for a while. I am not handsome, young, single & rich like some of you, nor am I older, divorced & have all my income to spend on audio gear like the rest of you! So I have been a bit shy to talk about my humble little Oppo and my 7 year old HDMI-less Denon receiver.

Well, I just hooked up my newish 2012 Onkyo TX-NR717 receiver HDMI to my Oppo DV-980H and set it to LPCM for DVD-Audio and DSD for SACD and I am in heaven. I am letting my receiver's Burr Brown D/A converters do the heavy lifting and my SACDs & DVD-Audio discs never sounded so good through my Difinitive Technology BP2002 Towers.

That Oppo is a masterpiece! I can't afford even the new 103 so I was frankly shocked how future proof the Oppo DV-980H is and I can do everything I need in 5.1 lossless.

Oppo rules!

P.S. I set my $49 refurbished LG blue ray player to bitstreaming and it had no problem playing my BluRay of RUSH-2112 (The Onkyo receiver did the DTS-HD decoding).

I am currently running no analog signaling at all(except for the amp's speakers out, of course.) I love the sound of my system. It has never sounded better.
Elton John Goodbye Yellow Brick Road & ELP - Brain Salad Surgery sound fabulous!

I wish I had the $$$ to buy more impressive gear, but it is so nice the Oppo does EVERYTHING so I can do this on such a small budget!

Oppo Rules! (I think I said that already...)

DennisMoore =many many BDP-93 are available throughout the net, as owners upgrade to the 103/105. You may wish to check the AVS forums classified section, where I sold mine-or perhaps pappa Jon Urban may sell his also. And check e bay.
You are missing out on blu ray music and videos.

DennisMoore =many many BDP-93 are available throughout the net, as owners upgrade to the 103/105. You may wish to check the AVS forums classified section, where I sold mine-or perhaps pappa Jon Urban may sell his also. And check e bay.
You are missing out on blu ray music and videos.

Ok, I do tech for a living, so give it to me straight.

My TX-NR717 receiver does some ok upscaling & video processing(I think it even advertises 4K upscaling).
That reciever can decode DTS-HD & Dolby Tru. So I have my BluRay audio. I know the TX-NR717's Burr Brown D/A
isn't as good as what is in the Oppo 105 but...The Oppo 93 & 103 both have just OK Cirrus Logic D/As,
so I don't feel so bad with my Burr Brown D/A.

How much video improvement are we talking about? By the way, I have a 4 year old Sharp 1080p 46" TV...

Back