XTC Nonsuch 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was not the Nonsuch dvda, but the Insurgentes Dvda from five years back. On my then player, Onkyo, the dvd a layer would not play because of a wrong aspect ratio. Wrong in the sense that my player could not handle this. Neil got in touch with me after I contacted Burning Shed. NW suggested a firmware update but there was no official one to be found. NW even contacted a Dutch Onkyo repair firm :) talking about customer care!

Anyway, in the end he sent me a newly authored disc with the aspect ratio my player could handle. Looking back, I am glad this happened, as Neil also directed me to QQ! And the rest is history... :D

Maybe the firmware's the problem with the Blu ray not playing[last time i tried to update it the player almost got bricked so no dice]that's why i'd like to switch to the DVD[no firmware update needed afaik].

Maybe the firmware's the problem with the Blu ray not playing[last time i tried to update it the player almost got bricked so no dice]that's why i'd like to switch to the DVD[no firmware update needed afaik].
I purchased this title on Blu-ray after discovering I could not play the dvd-audio. Wouldn't it be something if the Blu-ray doesn't play either. Haven't gotten around to checking it. I've got several Blu-ray players though so chances seem good one or more will play it.

This is why I prefer SACD. Never yet had one that won't play.

At this point i'd be happy to hear Nonsuch in DTS 5.1 since the Hi res doesn't seem to work.

At this point i'd be happy to hear Nonsuch in DTS 5.1 since the Hi res doesn't seem to work.

The only option that worked on mine was 2-channel dolby digital. May as well download the MP3.

I tried the new Drums and Wires Blu ray and it plays flawlessly[In DTS HD MA 5.1] but the last time i played the Nonsuch disc it didn't.....are they both authored the same way?

I tried the new Drums and Wires Blu ray and it plays flawlessly but the last time i played the Nonsuch disc it didn't.....are they both authored the same way?

No, even though they are authored by the same guy (Neil Wilkes), he has taken a different approach to authoring Blu-Ray discs since the beginning of the year (and the release of "The Yes Album")

What is the main problem you are having with the 'Nonsuch' disc?

The disc stops after about 5 seconds.[maybe my player doesn't like the way this disc is authored even though all the other discs he did at the time that I own play fine]

The disc stops after about 5 seconds.[maybe my player doesn't like the way this disc is authored even though all the other discs he did at the time that I own play fine]

Yes I would send Neil a PM if you have not done so already, but I suspect the issue has a lot to do with your current player.
If it's a profile 1 player, it doesn't support as high of a total combined bitrate as Profile 2 players, and "Nonsuch" has a very high total combined bitrate since the LPCM 5.1, DTS-HD MA 5.1, LPCM stereo, and LPCM instrumental stereo are all in the same title.
Do you own the "Close to the Edge" Blu-Ray, and if so, do you have any issues playing that disc on your current player? It's authored pretty much the same way.

No problem with the CTTE Blu ray or the other Yes discs for that matter.[my player is 6 years old btw]......i'd been in touch with Neil off and on about this disc.

No problem with the CTTE Blu ray.[my player is 6 years old btw]......i'd been in touch with Neil off and on about this disc.

Hmmm…that is strange indeed. Don't know how I can help you any further since I'm not really an expert on these things, but it's at least good that most other Blu-Ray discs play fine for you as they are all phenomenal IMO.

What more needs to be said buy it great album more commercial than some of XTCs possibly a good starting point for those who don't know the band, though I am looking forward to some of the older albums.
How enlightened some bands are lately.

Bought this on the strength of Steven Wilson 5:1 being included, only thing I knew of them was "Nigel". So knew next to nothing about them.

Mightily impressed. As you say, good introduction. Thanks

Found this amazing cover of the song "That Wave" on YouTube:
[video=youtube;6OwmJNv4TvA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OwmJNv4TvA[/video]

:)

I'm glad that I now have a Blu ray player[Sony UBP X800]that allows me to hear this disc without any problems whatsoever.......good things come to those who wait.

Have you all heard about this one? (taken from the Andy P. & XTC FC FB page)
1687420498936.png

1687420603323.png

Back