INVOLVE SQ - IS HERE

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
..Rustyandi has both a very high cost MC cartridge and a really high tech laser based cartridge. In both instances you would expect very good separation and so he has not had noticeable problems with front to rear leakage on SQ (Rustiandi please correct me if this is a false statement).

My original table for quad was a '72 Dual 1229 with Audio Technica AT14Sa shibata stylus MM cart, rated separation 25-27 dB at 1Khz. Still have cart, with OEM replacement stylus in great shape. About 5 yrs ago, I replaced the 1229 with another Dual I owned since the early 80's, a 505. Both are now retired. Current TT for quad is a Music Hall MMF-7 with ~$500 Goldring hi output MC cart with line contact stylus that I had for 2 ch use. It plays CD4 just fine so there was no need to put the Audio Technica on it. The Goldring's rated separation is also 25 dB at 1Khz.

Last yr I bought a Rega RP6 TT & $900 Dynavector 20XL hi output MC cart with their own proprietary version of line contact stylus for the 2 ch setup.

I replaced 2 old Duals that were getting tired and quirky with modern belt driven decks. and while my cartridges are not ultra hi $ exotica, none of them were budget cartridges ;) not even the one I started out with on the 1229, the venerable Shure V15 type 3. All are or were very good for the money spent.

so I've always had 12 dB beat ;)

like Rusty, I'm strictly moving coil now, and no elliptical styli since about '74 whenever I got into CD4.

I know I'm fortunate to have had good TT's & cartridges. not ultra hi end but good values.

Overture was talking to Rustyandi this morning and it was mentioned that Rustyandi has both a very high cost MC cartridge and a really high tech laser based cartridge. In both instances you would expect very good separation and so he has not had noticeable problems with front to rear leakage on SQ (Rustiandi please correct me if this is a false statement).

A laser based cartridge? Wow!
No laser or other phono cartridges here.

I'm using the Surround Master here with matrix encoded CDs and downloads - along with some Stereo DVDs, Blu-Rays and downloads (DSD and FLAC).
All working very well.

Hi All
Personally I like the ADC ZLM- It is not moving magnet or moving coil, its a variable reluctance type where the shank of the stylus varies the reluctance of the magnetic gap. The advantage is high output but with NO WEIGHT on the shank. Its also go some weird tip profile. I say it kicks arse.

Regards

Chucky

I have never owned a tate or SQ-W, but this thing blows the Sony full logic gear out of the water like when your opponent gets two pegs in your battleship.

The Audionics & Fosgate Tates raise the bar considerably. my 1st quad receiver was a H-K with a basic 3 dB SQ decoder where you could barely hear any F/B separation at all. The Sansui's SQ mode improved that to about 12 dB, not bad but I'd bet not as good as your Sony logic steering.

The Tate takes it to a different level, being equal to or slightly better than Sansui's QS Variomatrix. I heard separation & sound motion from my Audionics Tate that I never heard with Sansui's flavor of SQ.

You probably know that in quad, the king of matrix decoders were

for QS: Sansui QSD-1 (or their limited release Japanese market only QSD1000)
for SQ: Fosgate Tate 101A (close was the Audionics version with Tate II chip upgrade)

there's good reasons for both of them having that reputation.

and I'd bet that's also why Involve Audio uses these 2 as their benchmarks for comparison.

Hi all

Yep both Tate and Sansui did amazing things for the circuitry of the 70's. During our development we did not have access to either, Rustyandi has offered me a loan of one of his Tates, think I will take him up on that.

Regards

Chucky

He is talking about the
FINIAL laser player that uses lasers to play VINYL DISC'S

Chucky!

I have no idea what you are talking about. A Cartridge? Vinyl?
hahaahha

All I want to do is plug the analog output of a stereo DAC (that gets feed from flac, AAC, and other file types from music services into your black box and get surround out..

Can I do this or what? LOL!!!

Yes, you can.

haha Thanks!! Like why didn't the guy just say that LOL!!

Does all this crap that's been going on with this thread the last few days with payers being witheld, or returned or whatever, have anything to do with the ability to play simple stereo files via a DAC?

I have totally no idea what you guys are talking about... hahaha

as long as the DAC is line level output, yes. if RCA analogs are ballpark of 2 - 2.8v, its no different than a CD player going into the preamp section of a receiver or int amp.

and no, I don't think it matters, due to it being already optimized for software scripts or plug-ins for recording and editing digital sources ;) that's what chuck said, works perfectly for scripts. if your files are natively stereo played thru a 2 ch DAC, the box is going to synthesize a surround field not decode one, the same technique as adding prologic IIx on top of 2 ch. you could have files created in software from that added matrix encoding for true 4 ch playback & the box will properly decode those.

and just like some of us old farts know about audio files, someday you might want to try dappling & learning about records ;)

LOL back ;)

as long as the DAC is line level output, yes. if RCA analogs are ballpark of 2 - 2.8v, its no different than a CD player going into the preamp section of a receiver or int amp.

Thanks!

But does all this recall stuff have anything to do with my proposed situation?

It works perfectly in this configuration with stereo files (for me : Mac Mini with Lossless/AAC files -> Dangerous Source Dac out -> surround Master in). The only "concern" was the rear speakers levels for me, louder than the front speakers, but it can easily get fixed with your ears/dBmeter and a separate volume control, to get a good balanced signal...

and just like some of us old farts know about audio files, someday you might want to try dappling & learning about records ;)

LOL back ;)
LMFAO back hahaha!!

Records? Aren't they something broken by drug taking cyclist or something? Thanks for your help with all this man... hahahahhahahaha

wappinghigh

Yep

Chucky!

I have no idea what you are talking about. A Cartridge? Vinyl?
hahaahha

All I want to do is plug the analog output of a stereo DAC (that gets feed from flac, AAC, and other file types from music services into your black box and get surround out..

Can I do this or what? LOL!!!

All good

haha Thanks!! Like why didn't the guy just say that LOL!!

Does all this crap that's been going on with this thread the last few days with payers being witheld, or returned or whatever, have anything to do with the ability to play simple stereo files via a DAC?

I have totally no idea what you guys are talking about... hahaha

Hi Yucca

Correct but if your system is balanced it will still be balanced with the Surround Master as it has a 1:1 transfer.

Regards

chucky

It works perfectly in this configuration with stereo files (for me : Mac Mini with Lossless/AAC files -> Dangerous Source Dac out -> surround Master in). The only "concern" was the rear speakers levels for me, louder than the front speakers, but it can easily get fixed with your ears/dBmeter and a separate volume control, to get a good balanced signal...

Back