INVOLVE SQ - IS HERE

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't had much input about your QSound musings because I didn't know what QSound was! I did some research today. Sounds neat! Do you think that the surroundmaster is actually moving things in the directions that the engineer intended you to hear when you listen with a normal stereo setup? Or do you think it just detects front/rear seperation and seperates sometimes in the wrong directions?

If this works, it is likely that dolby headphone tracks will also sound nice on the Surround Master.

I need to find some QSound discs.

Haven't tried Dolby Headphone encoded CDs. But the QSound CDs seem to work by providing the Surround Master with additional music cues to steer around the sound field. Very impressive - specially the albums by Roger Waters, Madonna and Sting.

I received my SQ Upgraded Surround Master a week or so ago, and have been unable to check it out...until today! :)

What a nightmare! I went to fire up my SQT-1100 Test LP and when I lowered the tone arm on it, it slid across the record! The stylus had snapped off! YIKES! Fortunately, I had another M24H on another turntable, so I made the swap. Then, it got worse!

I set the tracking and settings on the TT for the new cart, wired up to my PC via my MOTU and Vegas 12 recording software, and I had nothing coming out of the front left channel of the Surround Master. NOTHING. I checked all cables, checked the software, and there was zippo. I switched the R and L fronts, and the audio followed the cable, so the unit was at fault. Switching to QS mode, I had audio in all 4 channels, back to SQ, dead Left Front again. Powered down, powered up, still the same.

I was about to contact Chucky for another trip for the unit across the "bigger pond", when I decided to open the unit. I am an electronics guy, so I figured I'd look for anything obvious. Opening the unit was easy, but inside there was nothing loose or obviously wrong. I could see where the new chip was soldered in the middle of the board, but it all looked good. Put it back together and tried it again, NOW IT WORKED!

Go figure. I will cross my fingers and hope that it stays functional.

So, after all that, I started to run test records through it. I had the SQ Gala disc, the Columbia Labs Test Disc, Quadraphile, and a Japanese SQ Demo LP, to start with! :)

Ran the SQT1100 through and watched the recorded wave files as I listened to the channel test tones. By ear, they were clearly directional. The tones came from where they were supposed to. Watching the wave files as they were recorded did show some activity in the none active channels, some more than others. It's not totally discrete, as it probably cannot expect to be. The results from the Quadrafile SQ side were better with regard to wave data in the inactive channels. Again, the active channel was clearly defined, there was just some info in some of the other channels as well.

Enough of the tones, I moved on to music. The SQ Gala LP has some good demo tracks, most notably "Rock On" by David Essex, which is a classic quad demo tune, and of course "Money" from DSOTM. I have to say the listening experience was astonishing. "Rock On" is a technical marvel considering its age, and the SQSM playback was clear and precise. The timing of the vocals on this tune is very intricate, and the decode seemed to be perfect. Even observing the wav timings confirmed that it was an incredible playback.

Next track was "Money", one we're all familiar and a little sick of by now. The cash register sounds at the intro were clear and had pin-point location. Cannot complain about it one bit. Another track on this particular disc was "Close to You" by the Carpenters. I did not expect much from this one, and I was right. Even the sappy lyrics could not save this one. Clearly not a quad demo track, not sure why it's on this LP.

So, after some issues, and a very quick run through, I can say "AWESOME"!! I don't know if it's technically perfect or not, but it sure sounds good and does what it's supposed to do. I will test it more this weekend with other SQ LPs, and maybe my "Supersession" SQ CD that came out a few years ago.

When I do I may post some audio samples and jpg's. Again, I bought this unit, I paid for the return shipping, this was not a back room deal with Chucky or anyone. I'm speaking as a customer and a happy one at that. This thing does the job, and now it's even better!

More later...........

Jon, We all can relate to the horror that follows the naked silence after all the buttons have been pushed!...Glad it all worked out and I'm doubly glad you are enjoying this wonderful little unit. How lucky we are!
Dwight

Here's an issue I've found with the SM SQ unit in the 5.1 QS output mode - the center channel is not subtracted from L/R front and vise-versa. If you unplug the CF output, the L/R fronts still have full level dialog. To get around this I've been using a SMART Devices Circle Surround EX unit on the 4 channel front outputs to derive a center channel that also removes center from L/R front.

In the SQ mode with 5.1 hookup the CF isn't subtracted because they ran out of computing power so only the 4 channel outs decodes SQ correctly, but the 5.1 outs in the QS mode SHOULD subtract the CF - Charlie confirmed that to me in an email. So could SM SQ owners check their units in the QS mode with 5.1 hookup - disconnect the center channel and see if its being removed from L/R front.

I received my SQ Upgraded Surround Master a week or so ago, and have been unable to check it out...until today

Hey Jon.. Im interested in a comparison between the CTA Quadio and the CTA SQ disc...how about it....

Hello All and TY

My mistake to Ty, late night correspondence , I should have said:

For 5.1 channel SQ decode we suggest using the 4.1 channel L/R but using the C from the QS decoded 5.1 side. This was a better approximation.

Yes we ran out of computing power to do the proper SQ center channel so this is a band aid.

Ty, I really think we sent you a dud as we have really fully tested the center separation and it is very good in QS mode. David will liaise with you on this matter today as I am at father in laws funeral.

Regards

Chucky

This was an email reply but Charlie asked me to post it here as well.

I did a quick check on the SM I have hooked up here - the 5.1 FL and FR for me do have some of the centre content but not full level and not at the same level as the centre output.

We don't do a 100% subtraction, in order to avoid some instability - also it was decided to reduce the level of the centre compared to the 5.1 FL/FR after some feedback, so comparatively it might seem like there is a lot of content there. The 5.1 mode was included for people who liked using their 5.1 speakers, though it went against our design philosophy, we didn't aim for a fully separate centre but a blend across the front speakers.

The centre channel content is partly removed from the left/right and vice versa, however when a signal is completely left without being coded for the front left, then there will be content in the rears as well in QS mode.

We never designed the 5.1 portion of the SM to switch between QS/SQ because SQ wasn't originally part of the topography, but when we were asked to do an SQ version for the forum, the only way we could do it without completely redesigning the whole product was to have 4ch SQ mode and 4ch / 5.1ch QS mode. Otherwise, the cost increase would have been prohibitive.

I checked over the firmware - but let me know if you're getting absolutely no reduction of centre content from l / r

Hi Disclord and Robert

Thanks fro your sympathies, my father in law was more like a father to me and my son (as I did not have a father), in many ways my opposite but always a really nice guy. Death was better than the Alzheimer's in the end.

Sorry my reply was wrong on the suggestions for 5.1 SQ surround, ignore it (I think the wacky weed is got to me), here is what I should have said:

For 5.1 channel SQ decode we suggest using the 5.1 channel L/R and C from the 5.1 side. This side is fully QS but leave the rears in the "common rear outputs".

This way when it is switched to SQ mode the rears are fully SQ but the fronts are QS. This was a better approximation if you really want the center channel (wish we could all get over that delusion) - admittedly it is not "by the book" for 5.1 SQ but it is fully "buy the book" in QS mode.

Regards

Chucky

Charlie, Alzheimer's is terrible - my mom had it for years and would go through periods where she thought I was a little kid and she couldn't find me, but all the while talking to me as an adult asking where "Ty was?" My eldest sister got pancreatic cancer that had spread to her brain, lungs, intestines and colon by the time it was diagnosed - she lived for 3 months, happily with absolutely no pain. I took my mom to see her to say goodbye, not knowing if mom would recognize her, but amazingly the 'fog' cleared in mom's brain and they had a wonderful day. I helped take care of my sister in home hospice and she died one week to the day after mom's visit and mom died a week after that. So 2010 was an awful year for me, losing one of my sisters and mom a week apart - and then our 300 year old maple tree fell on our house a month later. Luckily lower branches broke the fall and it only punched holes in the outer roof.

on a more pleasant subject.... The Smart Circle Surround EX unit is doing a great job extracting a logic directed center channel from the 4 channel QS/SQ outputs of the SM, with no logic artifacts, that I'm just going to keep it running like this, although I am using the LFE out from the SM. And since the CF is from the 4 channel outs its correct for both QS and SQ.

Hi Disclord

Thanks for the observations. Believe it or not the first wedding I attended was my own and the first funeral was for my dead twins (medical negligence). Strange stuff, I still struggle with funerals - better at weddings.

Have you been able to tests the center separation of your unit in QS mode to confirm that your unit is OK?

Regards

Chucky

Hi Disclord

Thanks for the observations. Believe it or not the first wedding I attended was my own and the first funeral was for my dead twins (medical negligence). Strange stuff, I still struggle with funerals - better at weddings.

Have you been able to tests the center separation of your unit in QS mode to confirm that your unit is OK?

Regards

Chucky

I didn't go to the funeral of my sister or my mom - I had already said my goodbyes and mom hadn't been herself for so long it was like I had made my peace with it - and believe it or not, taking care of my sister was the most wonderful experience I had ever had because I was doing something for her that was the most important thing I had ever done. We said our goodbyes while she was alive so I didn't want to go to a funeral and ruin the memories. I hope that doesn't sound cold.

regarding the SM - with the 5.1 hooked up and CF disconnected I can still hear center dialog but its about, I'd guess, 5-6 db lower. I really am getting better results using the 4 channel outs with the circle surround EX unit to derive center.

id send the unit back to you just to check it out, but with my trip on the 19th and I won't be home for 3-4 weeks (I'm going to live half of each month in New Mexico to take care of my dad - it will be a lot of flying though)

Hey Jon.. Im interested in a comparison between the CTA Quadio and the CTA SQ disc...how about it....

Sorry for the delay in response here.

I don't have the LP anymore, but I do have the GH SQ LP still. I will give it a spin.
I also will post up some Q8 vs Decoded SQ samples from titles I have in both formats.

Hopefully by this weekend.

Just ordered my SM, can't wait to get it in line. Had a set up question, any insight would be much appreciated. What would be the best way to get both my SM and Oppo 93 analog outs into my Yamaha Aventage RX-A1030 single MC analog ins?

Thanks in advance,

Shnicks

I'm using my Sony SQD-2010 decoder as a switching pre-amp to feed the 4.0 outputs of my SM & Oppo to the 5.1 analog inputs on my Yamaha receiver. I use the the DISCRETE & 4CH TAPE inputs on the Sony. Both switchable from the front. Works great and the switches still work well. No static or drop-outs after all these years. Glad I kept it. I don't use the 5.1 outputs on the SM but I do with the Oppo so the C & SW are connected directly to the receiver. You may be able to use 2 stereo preamps in a similar fashion.

There is a thread on the forum about a new CD-4 demodulator developed by Lou Dorren. Unfortunately it seems this project is not active anymore. I understood that all the design work is completed. We are waiting for the prototype to be made by Lou and to be tested by Jon.
It seems to me a waste of time and effort for Lou if, for whatever reason, he is unable to complete the demodulator. Maybe he will be gratefull if someone takes over the project.
Based on your great work on the Involve SQ/QS decoder, I was wondering if it is possible that you get in contact with Lou and see if you can take over his work for the new CD-4 demodulator or assist Lou in completing the demodulator.

Thanks,
Clemens

This is a well idea and suggestion. I have done this already some weaks before and have asked the Involve man Chucky about the possibilities to help. They would make that and can work with modern automatic production plant, but of course, they must have an agreement with Lou Dorren and the technical details. I have send in October e-mails to Lou and also together with our newest quadraphonic DVD-Audio a letter about the possibilities to finsih this long awaited new demodulator. But till now no an answer. I think, after 6 years of waiting he now must say, if he is ready with the development, if this works or it is not possible to finish the development. It is not OK to make the fans hot with promises, which are after 6 years only hot air. If there are personal or technical difficultiesd, he should now also send a statement. If there are technical problems, Involve may help by an solution. Of course, the help of Involve would cost also additional money. So the demodulator would cost $ 700 instead the announced $ 500. But real CD-4 fans would pay also this price. And by manufactoring a Dorren Demodulator by Involve the fans will feeling the safety, that they must not wait again some years before they will receive the Demodulator.

Lou Dorren - we are waiting for your message - not again soon, but now!

Dietrich

Back