Jimi Hendrix Electric Ladyland the ultimate matrix quad lp

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can ELL be decoded through the scripts in Audition? If so, should I use the SQ script or the QS script? Or does it require another script? Also, what about decoding Surf's Up by the Beach Boys?

I found some more information about it.

My opinion of Jimi Hendrix’s statements and production of Electric Ladyland really need to be taken in the context of the time frame…………He made those statements in June of 1968, prior to ANY widespread discussion of “matrixing” or “quadraphonic”……..as he blended his multi-track recordings he had NO WAY to know what it would sound like reproduced through one of our high-end quad decoders like the Fosgate TATE II (which wasn’t released until 1979!) or my Sansui QSD-1000 (produced in 1982 for the Japanese home market). But, listening to this “stereo” recording through a quad decoder develops a soundfield and movement rarely surpassed by “intentional” studio produced quadraphonic recordings!

http://quadraphonicaudio.wordpress.com/2009/07/12/quad-bob-3/

Even though quad wasn't released to the public until 1970, it was certainly in development in the sixties.

I remember reading an advertisement or paper (I'm pretty sure it was from EV) stating that their first demonstration of quad was in 1968 or something. I wish I could remember where I saw this, and it was fairly recently, but I do remember thinking the date was earlier than most acknowledge as the introduction of quad.

In view of this, it is certainly possible or even probable that Hendrix was aware of quadraphonics in the late sixties.

Doug

And, let's not forget "Gypsy Eyes". That song alone would have justified the band being renamed "The Jimi Hendrix Quadraphonic Experience".

I first heard that in my brother's friend's mother's Dodge Dart in which my brother's friend had installed a quad deck.

It was one of those metallic green cars with a flowered vinyl top. Anyway, I was was flabergasted hearing that song in there!

From then on, I knew I HAD to have quad!

BTW, my version is an original Reprise. The Jacket was damaged in "The Flood of 1980" (water heater sprung a leak) but the records themselves are perfect.

Doug

One thing - not really related to Hendrix, but QuadBob's info on the origins of the SQ matrix - his info is dead wrong and nonsense. SQ was developed quite independently of Scheiber and he in NO WAY invented SQ. It's a 100% CBS and Ben Bauer invention.

How about Rainbow Bridge? I have two used Rainbow Bridge albums, but haven't tried playing them through a matrix-type decoder, yet.

And, let's not forget "Gypsy Eyes". That song alone would have justified the band being renamed "The Jimi Hendrix Quadraphonic Experience".

Try listening to "Gypsy Eyes" in mono. You may be surprised at what you hear...the phasing on the drums comes across completely different.

I am not shore if anybody is still following this thread but I`ll bring it up anyway, I have purchased this lp on ebay which stated that this Jimmy Hendrix and little Richard Lp was a QS quad recording new and unopened and it was only realest in Chile. I can’t verify that this is a quad LP I have not opened it yet and played this lp I am hoping that someone could tell me that this is a genuine quad lp, her is a photo of front and back look at the back top left.
Jimmy Hendrix.jpg
Image2.jpg

I don't know if Everest processed the recordings to make fake quad, but since the songs were originally recorded in 1964 and 1965, I would be very surprised if this were a true quad LP.

I listened to a couple of tracks from this album on YouTube, and they were mono.

J. D.

This, taken from Mark Anderson's Quad Discography:

JIMI HENDRIX & LITTLE RICHARD -
Roots Of Rock. Everest FS-296 (QS)
{The title above is from a mono recording re-channeled for quad}

I don't know if Everest processed the recordings to make fake quad, but since the songs were originally recorded in 1964 and 1965, I would be very surprised if this were a true quad LP.

I listened to a couple of tracks from this album on YouTube, and they were mono.

J. D.

There were some albums like this claiming 'QS,' but just nastily rechanneled, nothing more. Don't own this one, but it's from a time where I don't remember any stereo for this material.

ED :)

I think the writing in the top middle on the front cover says it all from the small print that you didn't blow up... I think it reads......electronically .....rechannelled to simulate stereo ................ which = crap

Hi. All
I have opened the lp in question and recorded the content, I have listened to it and I have to agree with “DennisMabry” that it is a Mono recording re-channeled for quad, what a great pity that record companies went to the trouble to do this con. I would up load a sample for curiosity sake but don't now how.
Bill.

Hi. All
I have opened the lp in question and recorded the content, I have listened to it and I have to agree with “DennisMabry” that it is a Mono recording re-channeled for quad, what a great pity that record companies went to the trouble to do this con. I would up load a sample for curiosity sake but don't now how.
Bill.

No worries, I have no desire to hear Jimmy pissed on.

Alright, Thought I would open this conversation back up.

I have been reading some conflicting quotes about which release has the original OOPS that Hendrix intended. The MCS CD says that it does... but which LP?

The TRACK release runs the most expensive on ebay, so I would think that is the one with the crazy sonics.

There are so many conflicting quotes on the net about which nation ignored Jimi's wishes to leave the phase adjusted...

So, since I cant get every LP which copy will deliver?

I would like to know too. It would be nice if a US or Canadian print might yield the originally intended sonics. It is hard enough to find an early domestic issue in acceptable shape.

Is there much differences in the US/UK pressings of the first three Hendrix LPs? Like the Beatles stereo issues for example, the UK and US are in my opinion totally different songs in many ways with the rechanneling and different takes... so im thinking (wishing) maybe a US pressing of ELL could be so wrong its turned right as Jimi intended!?:mad:@: Probably not, but me too would like to know which pressing is most fun to play through a decoder!

Back