Miles Davis in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is definitely a legitimate release. Check out this poll thread: https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?16321-Davis-Miles-Sketches-of-Spain-DTS-24-96

The disc was originally offered as a premium with Monster's Miles Davis headphones.
110907_trumpet_headphones.jpg

I own over 500 Miles discs and saw him live several times. If you like Miles or jazz at all, you NEED this!

$(KGrHqZHJD!E7z!GWBRVBPFH1YO09Q~~60_35.JPG

Tutu DVD-A 5.1 Great performance & mix. 10.
1359915443_1359911993_miles-davis-tutu-2002-dvd-audio.jpg

In a Silent Way SACD 5.1
B00005UOUK.03._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Kind of Blue SACD 5.1 & DVD-V Dual Disc Rears were created by playing original recording in same studio as recorded on and mic'ing the ambience from rear.
2988511.jpg
39763d1161779135-kind-blue-5-1-miles.jpg

Someday My Prince Will Come 3ch SACD Acoustic Sounds
mxG_bffeWIkKQywURkkCZ3A.jpg

Seven Steps to Heaven 3ch SACD Acoustic Sounds
mjoRNKxrPEimAoMXvV2YDWw.jpg

And on double Quad LP's:

Bitches Brew SQ
111012298535.jpg

Live Evil SQ
mlqpEWwNOoVK1xAq9ItpSuQ.jpg

The "In A Silent Way" SACD is incredible in surround! Tutu is a great mix and fidelity, if you're alright with the production/"sound". "Kind of Blue" is similar to the "Time Out" SACD from a surround p.o.v. - i.e. a bit pointless.

The Kind Of Blue multi-channel SACD - which some swine nicked off me - is not entirely pointless as, apart from anything else, it was during the making of this SACD that they noticed that every single CD of KOB ever pressed had the music at fractionally the wrong speed/out of tune. After decades of this, it was the SACD that finally corrected this embarrassing error. Then there's the high resolution and at least some kind of surround, though I take your point Fred..

The Kind Of Blue multi-channel SACD - which some swine nicked off me - is not entirely pointless as, apart from anything else, it was during the making of this SACD that they noticed that every single CD of KOB ever pressed had the music at fractionally the wrong speed/out of tune. After decades of this, it was the SACD that finally corrected this embarrassing error. Then there's the high resolution and at least some kind of surround, though I take your point Fred..

OH NO!! that wasn't very "Kind Of Them" to nick it!! (thieving bar-stewards!) :mad:

I read about the speed/pitch correction, I only meant it was a pointless exercise in surround with the hokey room ambience affair with the mics setup at the back of the studio (Linda went into it all on here one time I seem to recall).. it would have been better imho to have the 3-channels across the front 3, a la the Living Stereo SACDs etc. on both the Kind Of Blue & Time Out Sony M/C SACDs.. but still it is what it is. The "In A Silent Way" SACD is essential from a surround p.o.v.though - wow its good!

You are correct that all early CD & LP pressings were at the wrong speed for all the tracks on LP side 1. All pressings on various tape configurations were also incorrect.

Their speed correction actually predates SACD and dates to 1992, when the Columbia Mastersound Gold CD was first produced. The incorrect speed was due to a reel-to-reel machine recording at a slightly slow speed, which would, of course result in a slightly fast playback.

Every Gold CD is at the correct speed, as is every SACD, and every US CD after 1994. Recent LP pressings also feature the entire album at the correct speed.

Gold CD in original long box:
mBBj329SaGTSNx5Ydfy0ZPg.jpg

Gold CD in jewel box (later pressings):
Miles+Davis+-+Kind+Of+Blue+-+CD+ALBUM-475803.jpg

Standard US CD's with this back (CK 64935) are at the correct speed:
%u00255BAllCDCovers%u00255D_miles_davis_kind_of_blue_1997_retail_cd-back.jpg

You just have to hear Bitches Brew in surround it is out there.....

Tutu is probably the best surround mix, but my favourite is In A silent Way....different cover below (my version):

Silent-Way508-x-450.jpg

You just have to hear Bitches Brew in surround it is out there.....

Tutu is probably the best surround mix, but my favourite is In A silent Way....different cover below (my version):

View attachment 11268

my IASW SACD is just like yours LK, the US version. Linda must have the UK/Euro issue in card slip with white/blue dotted SACD livery running up LHS of front cover.

does yours have the regular redbook CD rear inlay? mine does!

iirc, a cock up occurred in production and the wrong rear inlay (CD version!) was used in the back of the jewel case tray! wah wah wah! :ugham:

(Disc is SS 86556, Artwork/Spine reads CK 86556 ..which totally futzes with my indexing! all the neat little Sony/Columbia SACDs lined up like soldiers with one errant seemingly CD-only Miles Davis IASW wedged in between "Kind Of Blue" and Destiny's Child..!) :mad:@:

In A Silent Way in surround is a completely awesome heady experience. Must be heard to be believed :smokin

As for the "wrong speed" of Kind of Blue, Teo Macero or Miles Davis never had an issue with the original LP stereo mix. Mark Wilder decided to correct the "issue" with the remixed CD that came out in the 90s. You can also hear the original mix on an earlier KoB CD. Personally I find absolutely nothing wrong with the original mix.

Now hearing it remixed in 3-track on the SACD is a very nice experience, but not my reference version of this album.

Sure its SS 86556, mine is CS 86556 :eek:

I'll check the rear inlay tonight...

Back