Miles Davis in 5.1

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey everyone - I just found a copy of "In A Silent Way," (SACD), but I can't find a poll thread. Can anyone help?

This is quite a wonderful listen, although I was a little alarmed when I heard the first track start over in the middle! (I now know that it's actually supposed to!)

I have the MFSL SACD of "Sketches of Spain," and it sounds wonderful.

Is there a reason to spring for the 5.1 DVD? Surround, yes, but is it worth having two versions?

I have both. First I agree with you the stereo MOFI is superb. The Monster Music release in 5.1 does what most 5.1's do, it opens and surrounds your listening area, brings out nuances that can get buried in stereo. Plus Monster Music's technical side is state of art. I would advise purchasing the surround disc as I truly believe you will enjoy it, and unlike a lot of discs it won't cost you an arm and leg.

Hey everyone - I just found a copy of "In A Silent Way," (SACD), but I can't find a poll thread. Can anyone help?

This is quite a wonderful listen, although I was a little alarmed when I heard the first track start over in the middle! (I now know that it's actually supposed to!)
Maybe best to go to the MOFI thread.

Edit: Oops you meant surround, my bad.

Just send a PM to rtbluray....there probably isn't one because nobody requested it...

Bitches Brew 4.0 is available in digits...but not officially.

The exception is the track 'Miles Runs the Voodoo Down', which is included on the 2ch/6ch hybrid SACD/CD compilation "The Collection" from Audio Fidelity.

Which I am listening to as I write this;>

https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?22041-Various-Artists-THE-COLLECTION-SACD[/QUOT

IMO, one of the best tracks on AF's The Collection disc.

Perhaps SONY Japan will release it in its entirety on one of their 7" specially packaged deluxe hybrid QUAD SACDs. (y)(y)

That is the WORST website on the planet. I purchased some titles in 2015, but I tried to purchase more titles a year later and I kept getting the message that my password was wrong, so they sent me a new password that didn't work, and then another...that didn't work...so I just tried again and the same thing....they send you passwords that don't work...not worth my time...and then sometimes when you get to checkout the title isn't available or it's $29.99....

Kind of Blue SACD 5.1 & DVD-V Dual Disc Rears were created by playing original recording in same studio as recorded on and mic'ing the ambience from rear.

Genius. :sun
Does any kind soul have a link to more info about this specific event?
I've not had any luck searching for it.
(If it's documented in the liner notes, I'm out of luck as they are in Japanese. :yikes)

I did find a note that the microphones were set up in the studio with the 3-track mix in mind, so there was little action at the console other than setting levels.
Lucky those multi-track tapes survived in the vaults.

This title was a Holy Grail for me, and I was not disappointed.
The acoustic bass and Miles' trumpet are in the center, not the phantom center. :phones
I love moving toward the rear of my listening room when I play this.
As the ambience wells up from the rear, the front sound field comes into focus and one really can imagine being a fly on the wall in the studio.

I see a new sealed copy from the US listed on eBay for $34.

In my mind both KOB and SOS are essential surround jazz titles, one small group, one orchestral.
The fourteen minutes of BB on The Collection are precious, the most significant reason to own that disc IMHO.

One note I came across said the Sony Japan KOB 5.1 released ten years ago next week.
Happy anniversary.
So fortunate these are still available to those who appreciate their value.

Sounds like a drag--if I'd had those kinds of frustrations I'd be sour on them, too. I'll just testify that I ordered myself a copy of Sketches from the site--for ten bucks, as advertised--a month or so ago and it showed up less than a week later.

That is the WORST website on the planet. I purchased some titles in 2015, but I tried to purchase more titles a year later and I kept getting the message that my password was wrong, so they sent me a new password that didn't work, and then another...that didn't work...so I just tried again and the same thing....they send you passwords that don't work...not worth my time...and then sometimes when you get to checkout the title isn't available or it's $29.99....

If you abhor the added (analog, subtle) studio ambience of KoB and would have preferred the release to just be 3.0 (as it was originally recorded)...just turn off your rear channels. Or if you're savvy with ripped .wav files, delete them.

There was/is no way to make this a 'discrete' 5.0/5.1 mix without upmixing from the 3-track tape. There are no multitracks to remix from.

Genius. :sun
Does any kind soul have a link to more info about this specific event?
I've not had any luck searching for it.
(If it's documented in the liner notes, I'm out of luck as they are in Japanese. :yikes)

I did find a note that the microphones were set up in the studio with the 3-track mix in mind, so there was little action at the console other than setting levels.
Lucky those multi-track tapes survived in the vaults.

This title was a Holy Grail for me, and I was not disappointed.
The acoustic bass and Miles' trumpet are in the center, not the phantom center. :phones
I love moving toward the rear of my listening room when I play this.
As the ambience wells up from the rear, the front sound field comes into focus and one really can imagine being a fly on the wall in the studio.

I see a new sealed copy from the US listed on eBay for $34.

In my mind both KOB and SOS are essential surround jazz titles, one small group, one orchestral.
The fourteen minutes of BB on The Collection are precious, the most significant reason to own that disc IMHO.

One note I came across said the Sony Japan KOB 5.1 released ten years ago next week.

Happy anniversary.
So fortunate these are still available to those who appreciate their value.

The DualDisc does not state how they acheived the ambient surround , fwiw.

But I would recommend it as it does present much more on the dvd than the SACD. This is one of perhaps a couple of titles I own of a fifties (59 ) recording enhanced with surround that has discernable ambience in the rear channels.

20171016_185338.jpg

Back