Quad version of Pink Floyd Meddle

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

radioheadrox

Was Pink Floyd's Meddle ever released in quad in any format anywhere?

I've heard that it was mixed for quad, but never released. However, my local record store owner (who happens to be a huge Floyd fan) insists that he has a quad version of Meddle in his personal collection.

I dunno to believe him, maybe I'll ask him to bring it to his store the next time I swing by.

I really wish that it really was released. Just imagine listening to Echoes in full quad glory. :)

Iit is my understanding that it was never released in quad. If it was it would have been SQ. If your friend does have such a recording, it is rare indeed, and it is your duty to see that it becomes less rare (grin). Get it to Tab!

The Quadfather

If it exists at all, it is solely as a test pressing. However, I seriously doubt it exists even as a test press. It would have been bootlegged by now.

I got in contact with the guy, and he says that he was sure that he had one, but he can't find it. :( He says that he can even picture the cover with the quad logo in the corner. Either he's misfiled it, or it was just wishful thinking.

He is thinking of Atom Heart Mother. This has happened quite a few times in the quad community. A guy "swears" he has a quad Meddle, and it turns out to be AHM.

Now, who has that SQ Animals LP?? :D
(We think Cai is sitting on a box of them) !!!

:-jon

I wish I could get the guy in S. Carolina who swears he has the SQ l.p. of Animals- but won't send it to any one to copy or even check! I asked the guy to send me a cdr copy of it but so far no go! He doesn't have a cdr burner to do it ! I think he full of ....! But the original owner says he sold it to this guy in S. Carolina Awhile back and that it's an import from Europe !? We went through all this before so I don't think it'll see the light of day! :(
Rob

I was in high school when the quad wave first hit, and at the time there was this New York radio station called WQIV that broadcasted in quad. On New Years Day 1975 they played the entire lp in quad of Pink Floyd Electric Moo. Whether it was some reel they got somewhere I don't know, but it was phenominal. A friend of mine at that time, who had a quad setup, also managed to get a 4 channel discrete reel of Jimi Hendrix Electric Ladyland, which had several extra minutes of effects at the end of side 3 (1983 etc.). By the way, I just got back into quad at the beginning of the year, and your various websites and online tips have been a great resource in finding the optimal setup. Thanks!

I remember WQIV ! I lived in North Jersey back then! Can't recall the frq. though 106.7and 106.1 come to mind and old WNEW 102.7was my fav. Though it wasn't Quad, To bad they sold it out!
Rob

Maybe you should askthis guy if his quad copy of "Animals" has a cow on the cover.
Like I said , we went through all this in an earlier post.
and all the possibilities and confusion with AHM and all that!

The dates for the "in studio" Quad mix are in the book in the Pink Floyd Shine On box set.

As far as the North Carolina Quad Animals album, I'd be willing to drive there and copy it from vinyl using my turntable and DAT deck. Does he even have a photo of it? I'm highly skeptical.

It seems Floyd brings out the rumor mongers in alot of people. I think the entire band has been playing a reunion show at the pyramids of Giza for quite some time now, right? ;)

Well a Chinese guy from UK did have this SQ mix of "Meddle". It came in 2 SMALL open reels, I suppose one side on each reel. He wanted 500 English pounds and that was over 15 years ago. Alas I din't have the money at the time. I think the guy used to work at the Abbey road studios

WQIV was the prior classical station WNCN which was at 105.5. Their morning man was Al Bernstein and all the other jocks from there went down fast. This progressive station wasn't on very long, never really a competitor to WNEW. I still miss the Nightbird, Alison Steele. (Sorry to be off topic)

I have the Q8 of ATM and was never impressed by it. Too bad they didn't quad Meddle.

I got in contact with the guy, and he says that he was sure that he had one, but he can't find it. :( He says that he can even picture the cover with the quad logo in the corner. Either he's misfiled it, or it was just wishful thinking.

Yes he misfiled it , he accidently put it next to his 1st run, directors cut ,completely restored to the original version, dvd promo copy only, of "The Magnificent Ambersons".

Last edited:
I just found this on the internet and was trying to find out if it was real

Title................: Meddle
Artist...............: Pink Floyd
Audio Format.........: DTS CD NRG
Channels.............: 5.1
Source...............: Original Quadraphonic Recording
(converted to DTS)

Tracks:

One of These Days
A Pillow of Winds
Fearless
San Tropez
Seamus
Echoes

WARNING:
This is a DTS encoded CD.

If you attempt to play this CD without the proper equipment(i.e.
a cd or DVD player with a digital connection and a 5.1 speaker setup)
all you will hear is static, AND you may damage your speakers and/or
your eardrums, due to the high amount of high-freqency energy above 10kHz.

Play this CD in a DVD player or other DTS compatible unit.

Source...............: Original Quadraphonic Recording

There never WAS an "Original Quadraphonic Recording" :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

If it exists at all, it is solely as a test pressing. However, I seriously doubt it exists even as a test press. It would have been bootlegged by now.

Not too sure about that Cai!
Animals was definitely mixed in Quad, but that has never surfaced yet.
I doubt that Meddle is the real deal - though I'd like to be wrong about that.

Not too sure about that Cai!
Animals was definitely mixed in Quad, but that has never surfaced yet.
I doubt that Meddle is the real deal - though I'd like to be wrong about that.
In all the Pink Floyd lore I've ever read, never has there been mention of a quad version or even mix of Meddle. Animals, as you suggest, is an entirely different story.

I could be wrong and I hope I am, but a quad version of Meddle ranks a step or two below an urban legend. The only available information seems to stem from these torrent sites (such as the "original quadraphonic recording" blurb mentioned in this thread). [extreme sarcasm] And we all know that torrent sites are a stronghold of accurate information. [/extreme sarcasm]

Oh yeah, then there's the anonymous guy who has a copy but misfiled it... :rolleyes:

Seriously, I don't think so.

Back