CD-4 to 4-Channel Tape?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlamoQuad

Did I read somewhere (on here maybe?) that playing a CD-4 LP does not output to the 4-channel tape out circuits? (And this would be playing through a Sansui QRX system.)
So, in other words, one cannot record a discrete 4-channel tape from playing a CD-4 record?
:(

You do need a demodulator. Then use those 4 outputs to feed into the tape deck.

Yeah, they were trying to prevent people from easily making four channel copies, on tape, of CD-4 records.

Doug

Back in the '70s, I made many reel compilations from my CD-4 quadradiscs. As long as the receiver had a CD-4 demodulator, the 4 channel tape outs should output the demodulated quad. It always did for me. (QRX-999)

I have lots of Quad mix tapes off CD-4 LP's, which were demodulated through my JVC 4DD-5 and/or decoded through my Marantz SQA-2B. Likewise, others were demodulated through my Panasonic SE-405 demodulator and/or decoded through my Sony SQD-2020.

I have lots of Quad mix tapes off CD-4 LP's, which were demodulated through my JVC 4DD-5 and/or decoded through my Marantz SQA-2B. Likewise, others were demodulated through my Panasonic SE-405 demodulator and/or decoded through my Sony SQD-2020.
Excellent! So glad to hear this from you and others as well.
:banana::banana::banana::banana:

Apparently, I was misinformed. Ready to give it a try now; the last piece to fit in the puzzle is to receive and install my new JICO SAS stylus. Expect it in the coming week.

OK, so I opened my big mouth without ever having made a 4 channel RTR tape but I remember hearing of people having trouble getting the 4 outputs from a receiver with an internal demodulator too.

Oh well. :eek:

:D

Doug

That's funny. I just checked my modest tape collection and found NO discrete 4-channel recordings, even though I know my QRX-9001 and Akai GX-630D-SS are capable. I guess I enjoyed the CD-4 phono playback well enough to never bother. (Or I was just too lazy.) I still have 5 sealed 7" Maxell XLII EE blank tapes (80's vintage?), so I could experiment.

OK, so I opened my big mouth without ever having made a 4 channel RTR tape but I remember hearing of people having trouble getting the 4 outputs from a receiver with an internal demodulator too.

Oh well. :eek:

:D

Doug

You gotta watch those assumptions.

boy-puts-knife-in-plugin-outlet-300x258.jpg

I would assume that one big advantage to this would be the ability to back up a cd-4 vinyl recording onto tape so that you could just play back the tape & save the vinyl from continued wear? Would love to add CD-4 demodulation to my setup. I currently have a Lafayette LR-3000 that is missing the cd-4 module. Once I get my hands on one or some other external demodulator, I will invest in a capable turntable or i will try to upgrade my current one. (Pioneer PL-15).

This one seller on ePay keeps listing, "QUAD Open Reel Blank Tape (TDK S-1800 90 minutes @ 3¾ IPS)".

I have never before seen "QUAD Open Reel Blank Tape" by any manufacturer.

What makes this blank tape "QUAD", rather than 2-track or even 4-track?!?
:banana: :banana: :banana:

The seller hasn't a clue or he's trying to bullshit the many bullshiters.

The advantage of recording your CD 4, SQ, QS and other quad vinyl formats to tape is to save and protect the vinyl from wear and tear. When you record them to tape you can adjust the four channels to your own listening pleasure. In many cases it's an improvement.

This one seller on ePay keeps listing, "QUAD Open Reel Blank Tape (TDK S-1800 90 minutes @ 3¾ IPS)".

A discrete quad tape needs to be 4 track, at least. I suppose you could encode matrix quad on a 2 track tape, but I don't know that it was ever done. I believe everybody had moved to 4 track by the time quad came out.

any blank 1/4" tape has the ability to be either stereo (2 tracks each direction) or quad (4 tracks one direction) heck even 4 track mono (certain machines) the same way 8 track tape has the ability to be stereo or quad. just depends on the cartridge shell. which is where a distinction can be made as far as selling blank quad 8 tracks, they needed the notch in the cartridge to be able to work as quad tapes. I know there were blank tapes called converta-quads where you could leave the pre cut notch in place for regular stereo recording or you could slide the notch back & use it as quad. But as far as open reel tapes go, you didn't need to buy special tapes & i would say anyone trying to do so is only trying to scam customers out of more money. Also, has anyone ever tried cutting out a notch (with a dremel, maybe) in order to get regular blank 8 track tapes to work as quad tapes?

Back