DVD/DTS Poll Magenta - The Twenty Seven Club [DTS96-24/DD DVD]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the Audio-DVD of Magenta - THE TWENTY SEVEN CLUB

• 10: Great Surround, Great Content, Great Fidelity

Votes: 4 19.0%

Votes: 12 57.1%

Votes: 4 19.0%

Votes: 1 4.8%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Content, Poor Fidelity

• Total voters
I finally got round to listening to this today (in DTS 5.1), having been waiting for a suitable time after hearing the downloads released prior to the album coming out. All I can say is WOW what an album.

Reminded me of the best of Yes in places, great musically, fantastic soaring guitars, nice mix. It made me pick up my guitar and try and play along - it just hit that spot bang on, I couldn't help it, it affected me that much.

I came across Magenta via QQ before I joined, and got hooked. This IMHO is their best yet. :banana:

Gave it a 9 (a bit mean I know!), because having heard it I think it deserves to be heard in 96kHz/24-bit 5.1 surround.

Completely agree with your comments, apart from the guitar playing part, as I cannot play guitar:) it is a very good album with great songs and a lovely mix!

MAn, this sucks! All I read is praises about the album and my copy has not arrived yet! and I preordered!!! When was the release date...I cant even remember! It has been 1 or 2 months already? Im starting to worry where my copy is...

As Neil said, drop them an email. Mine didn't show up and I finally checked and the order had slipped through the cracks. They sent it immediately at that point.

K

Drop them a line using the contact form in the shop. They're really nice people and will be only too happy to check when it shipped and help out. Let me know if you need any more assistance with getting it sorted.

I ordered on Oct.4 sent an email this Thursday night (two days ago) - got a response on Friday (yesterday) saying that the package was posted on Oct.11 - send them an email - they will respond.

It finally arrived today!!! woohoo!!! loved it, will give it another spin or two before I grade it! but it will be 9 or 10 for sure!

By the way... I got almos every 27 club member but I still dont know "Stoned" and "The Gift" (Stoned Im guessing is Kurt Cobain, but Im not sure)

I think the female vocals are weak, very cheesy, musical theatre, no real passion. Not feeling it at all.

I received my copy of this album only a few days ago and I tried hard to like it, but somehow the music doesn't "click". Maybe I was expecting too much after I read some comments here and on other sites, but I feel like the vocals are almost ruining the experience of what otherwise would be a pretty good prog rock album with top level performance of the musicians.

Even the mix is not up to what I expected. After listening to Rob Reed's Sanctuary, which I'd rate as one of the best surround mixes I've ever heard, somehow the mix lacks clarity and especially the drums sound weak. It's not a bad mix at all, but not as good as many other surround mixes I've listened to in the past.

Music 6/10 (only because of the skilled musicians)
Mix 7/10
Overall Rating: 7/10

I hope my comment is not too harsh sounding for my first post on this forum. All in all, I wouldn't buy it again.

I received my copy of this album only a few days ago and I tried hard to like it, but somehow the music doesn't "click". Maybe I was expecting too much after I read some comments here and on other sites, but I feel like the vocals are almost ruining the experience of what otherwise would be a pretty good prog rock album with top level performance of the musicians.

Even the mix is not up to what I expected. After listening to Rob Reed's Sanctuary, which I'd rate as one of the best surround mixes I've ever heard, somehow the mix lacks clarity and especially the drums sound weak. It's not a bad mix at all, but not as good as many other surround mixes I've listened to in the past.

Mix 7/10

I hope my comment is not too harsh sounding for my first post on this forum. All in all, I wouldn't buy it again.

I agree 100%! Not nice to say but the vocals are WEAK. I just listened to Magenta Chameleon; the female vocalist is a friend or wife I presume? No way they auditioned her or sought her out. Weak, uninspired vocals, not good at all.

Mix 7/10

Hi, welcome to QQ. Out of curiousity, are you listening to the DTS24/96 track or the DD?

Bought this after the reviews here. After listening a couple of times, I think 27 Club could have been an interesting theme for a work, but I just didn't get into the music. The mix also seemed rather low-fi. Then other SACDs, DVD Audios, etc arrived and it fell out of rotation. I will give this another shot later and may change my mind, but am kind of scratching my head for now.

Bought this after the reviews here. After listening a couple of times, I think 27 Club could have been an interesting theme for a work, but I just didn't get into the music. The mix also seemed rather low-fi. Then other SACDs, DVD Audios, etc arrived and it fell out of rotation. I will give this another shot later and may change my mind, but am kind of scratching my head for now.

I think the music on Magenta DVD Audios is very good; it's the vocals that ruin it for me.

I think the music on Magenta DVD Audios is very good; it's the vocals that ruin it for me.

Has Magenta released anything on DVD-Audio? Mine are all DVD-Video, with either DTS or DD.

As for the vocals, to each his/her own, I guess. I find the vocals compelling and appropriate for the music.

I vote 8 on this one. The mix is just as good as the other ones, i just didn't care for the music quite as much. Still very enjoyable.

Music Content=10 ...prog rock doesn't get any better than this; pays homage to the greats (Floyd, Yes), yet doesn't copy them. Each song takes you on a journey. Beautiful, Majestic, Rocking. And lots of moog:)
Fidelity= 10 ...Sounds perfect: crisp highs, rumbling lows, and no distortion
Surround Mix= 10 ...discrete and active; makes the album sound better than in stereo (as a good surround mix should!) Vocal harmonies are nicely spread around the room...sounds sooo good:D

This band is one of my favorite discoveries this year... unfortunately, I only have one more of their albums left to listen to (Metamorphosis)... think I'll wait a while...

Oh yeah... I vote 10

Back