No-man 2014 re-issues WITHOUT 5.1 mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert van Diggele

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
QQ Supporter
From the Burning Shed newsletter,

No-Man

Schoolyard Ghosts / Together We're Stranger / Mixtaped (cd/dvds / dvd)

Schoolyard Ghosts and Together we're Stranger, two of No-Man's strongest studio releases, will be reissued in 2014.

The remaining copies of the existing cd/dvd editions will now be available at a reduced price.

Schoolyard Ghosts, from 2008, saw the duo of Tim Bowness and Steven Wilson work with a full orchestra (on the 12 minute long tour-de-force, Truenorth), Theo Travis, Pat Mastelotto, Bruce Kaphan, Gavin Harrison and others in what is possibly the best reviewed and most sophisticated album in the band's history.

Together We're Stranger, from 2003, is seen as the band's most personal and ambitious release. Opening with a 28 minute suite of music about loss, the album is perhaps the most highly regarded by fans.

Please note, the Steven Wilson mixed 5.1 discs will not be replicated on the reissues.

Mixtaped, the live/documentary double dvd, is also available at a special price. These are the final copies.

Available now.

Not sure what the reasoning behind not including the 5.1 on the rerelease, but for those who have these titles on their woshlist, you might want to buy them now, while they are still easily available.

Hi Adam, the live dvd Mixtaped also has 5.1 DTS. Very good stuff, the band takes some of the songs to another level by adding a heavier sound to it. Mixtaped is also going OOP apparently, but there is no mention of a rerelease yet.

All three are great IMHO. I need to give Mixtaped another spin too. I also wonder what the logic is not to include the 5.1???

Such a shame. "Together We're Stranger" is one of my favourite 5.1 albums.

Totally agree Neil, this is terrible that they are dropping the 5.1's, I know we are in the minority but if anything was to be dropped it should have been the cd and keep the dvda 5.1.
I do not even touch the cd's in all these cd\dvda releases as its 5.1 all the way and those are the go to disk's.

Small update from the no-man fb page,

The tracklisting for the new 2cd edition of "Schoolyard Ghosts" will be announced soon. The double cd will be presented in a vinyl miniature format and is likely to be available in late June.

Perhaps cd2 will be the demo/alternate as found on the limited third disc of the initial batch of Schoolyard Ghosts cd/dvdaand the 7inch that came with the 2LP version.

Possible tracks:
"Truenorth" Part 1 - strings - 1:50
"Truenorth" Part 2 - alternate - 3:51
"Beautiful Songs You Should Know" - alternate - 4:06
"Pigeon Beater" - 3:04
"Song of the Surf" - alternate - 3:49
"Truenorth" Part 2 - video edit - 4:19
Another Winter (Home Demo) 2:33
The City Sounds (Home Demo) 2:44
Omnious Dancefloor (Home Demo) 4:15

Would be a nice second disc :)

The second disc turned out to be:

1. Another Winter (Demo) (2.33)
2. The City Sounds (Demo) (2.44)
3. Ominous Dancefloor (Demo) (4.15)
4. The Place Where You'd Hide (Demo) (4.15)
5. Truenorth Part 1 (Strings) (1.48)
6. Truenorth Part 2 (Alternate) (3.37)
7. Beautiful Songs You Should Know (Alternate) (4.06)
8. Pigeon Beater (3.03)
9. Lucky You Lucky Me (4.51)
10. Song Of The Surf (Duet) (3.48)
11. Counting (4.24)
12. Death Was California (3.04)

A good selection of songs to see the development of the album proper.

A little update from the SW fb page

The two most recent no-man albums, “Together We’re Stranger” (2003) and “Schoolyard Ghosts” (2008) have just been reissued by Kscope with new mastering and packaging. Both albums were out of print for a short time, so we have taken the opportunity to revamp them slightly. These new editions feature less aggressive mastering than previous editions, to make for a more natural and dynamic listening experience. The sleeves are now both miniature gatefold vinyl style. Schoolyard Ghosts is now a 2 CD set including a whole extra disc of bonus material, including demos, alternate versions, and EP tracks. Together We’re Stranger is a single CD and includes the same 2 bonus tracks that appeared on the previous CD/DVDA edition.

Available now from Headphone Dust: http://stevenwilsonhq.com/sw/headphonedust/ and The No-Man Burning Shed store: https://www.burningshed.com/store/noman/

(The 5.1 mixes are not included in these new editions, but we are looking into the possibility of compiling the surround mixes and other visual material onto a No-Man Blu-ray disc at some time in the future)

"Less aggressive mastering" sounds interesting, but I didn't think the originals were bad in any way - certainly not up in the "ear-ache" category by any means.

I don't think I'll bother with another edition of "Together We're Stranger" and will need to see the track listing for "Schoolyard Ghosts" as I bought the limited edition with extra tracks first time around.

However they're both superb albums and it's good to see that demand is such that they're getting another pressing.

(The 5.1 mixes are not included in these new editions, but we are looking into the possibility of compiling the surround mixes and other visual material onto a No-Man Blu-ray disc at some time in the future)

...... Let's hope 'in the future' is sooner rather than later as this is great news!

...... Let's hope 'in the future' is sooner rather than later as this is great news!

Now that sounds interesting

Totally agree Neil, this is terrible that they are dropping the 5.1's, I know we are in the minority but if anything was to be dropped it should have been the cd and keep the dvda 5.1.
I do not even touch the cd's in all these cd\dvda releases as its 5.1 all the way and those are the go to disk's.

I do the same 5.1 in the house, CD in the car.

Back