Universal Japan SHM-SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cupboy's not being obtuse here, Universal and JVC (the guys behind the SHM technology) have stated their original intent was not to have a MultiCh programme on their SHM-SACDs.

Not because it can't technically be done but because they felt adding any other programme to the single layer would adversely affect the quality of the disc and playback.

To me it all smacked of bullshit and snake oil voodoo garbage but that's what the people behind these discs had to say so really it's not fair to shoot the messenger, blame Universal and JVC.

I believe what he meant was that quality is their focus.

I took it to mean that he was not happy I went off topic, which happens, and in my origional post I apologized for that. You both were most likely correct in what he was getting at.

My origional post was a general question and not just aimed at the SHM discs. bmoura posted a comment about simply using the 2 channel analog masters vs. looking for the multi-track master tapes and funding a new 5.1 mix and mastering. He then said "Or even converting a 4.0 Quad mix to 5.1 Surround Sound for a new release". So I simply asked "If the quad mix doesn't suck why not release that? Don't they save the original 4.0 mix as a master? Not specifically CDTE but in general. Converting a perfectly fine quad mix to 5.1 is no doubt expensive and much more difficult obviously. Sorry this is off topic for shm stuff... " A fair question I think, that I don't know the answer to.

The July SHM-SACDs are now shipping. Deceptive Bends by 10cc is really good on a Single Layer, Stereo SHM-SACD.
Definitely worth considering if you like their music. This one includes the hit single "The Things We Do for Love".
Recommended.

Deceptive Bends - 320.jpg
Deceptive Bends - 10cc (Single Layer Stereo SHM-SACD, Mercury/Universal Japan UIGY-9567)

The July SHM-SACDs are now shipping. Deceptive Bends by 10cc is really good on a Single Layer, Stereo SHM-SACD.
Definitely worth considering if you like their music. This one includes the hit single "The Things We Do for Love".
Recommended.

View attachment 15235
Deceptive Bends - 10cc (Single Layer Stereo SHM-SACD, Mercury/Universal Japan UIGY-9567)

The Origional Soundtrack is good also.

An update from CD Japan. The next Steely Dan SHM-SACD has been delayed by a month:

We have just received an update from the distributor.
The release date of the following item(s) has been changed from 2014/08/27 to 2014/09/24.
=============================================
UIGY-9568
Steely Dan / Pretzel Logic [Cardboard Sleeve (mini LP)]
CDA 4286yen Released : 2014/09/24
=============================================
Details are available on the following page.
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=UIGY-9568

Linda; The Deluxe Edition of Who's Next is phenomenal; dynamic range, clarity, & tonal balance are superb; try it, you'll agree!

Steely Dan's Countdown to Ecstasy on SHM-SACD is being called the best version yet issued of material by the band by several Steely Dan fans & collectors. Listening to it via headphones, I'd have to say it's really, really good.
Fans of the band should grab this one while it's still in print!

Countdown to Ecstasy - SHM-SACD - 300.jpg
Steely Dan - Countdown to Ecstasy (Single Layer Stereo SHM-SACD, Geffen/Universal Japan UIGY-9566)

Steely Dan's Countdown to Ecstasy on SHM-SACD is being called the best SACD yet issued of material by the band by several Steely Dan fans & collectors. Listening to it via headphones, I'd have to say it's really, really good.

View attachment 15458
Steely Dan - Countdown to Ecstasy (Single Layer Stereo SHM-SACD, Geffen/Universal Japan UIGY-9566)

A well done 5.1 mix would me buying it at once.
The quad mix is not overwhelming...

Steely Dan's Countdown to Ecstasy on SHM-SACD is being called the best version yet issued of material by the band by several Steely Dan fans & collectors. Listening to it via headphones, I'd have to say it's really, really good.

View attachment 15458

I can't wait for this one to arrive! It's rare for a release to get such universal praise. Hopefully the forthcoming 'Pretzel Logic' will be in the same league.

I'm keen to hear U.K. - U.K..... I've got it on order...

It'll be interesting to hear what thats like... Anyone got any info on the release?

Another winner from Universal Japan - Steely Dan's Pretzel Logic on SHM-SACD, Single Layer SACD (no Stereo CD layer, not playable on CD players without SACD).
Rikki Don't Lose That Number and the balance of the album have never sounded better.

SHM-SACD Credits: DSD flat transferred from U.S. Original Analog Master Tapes. Edited in DSD by Manabu Matsumura at Universal Music Studios, Tokyo, Japan in 2014.
CD Credits: SHM-CD and Platnum SHM editions of Pretzel Logic were transferred from the DSD at 176kHz/24bit by Yumetoki Suzuki at Universal Music Studios, Tokyo, Japan in 2014.

Pretzel Logic SHM-SACD - No OBI - 400w.jpg
Pretzel Logic - Steely Dan (Single Layer SHM-SACD Stereo Disc, Geffen/Universal Japan UIGY-9568)
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UIGY-9568

Why do SHM discs need 10 plays?

Well..the science is a little "muddy" on that aspect...some say there is a coating on the disc itself that needs to be burned off with repeated plays...but I do know from my experience with them that they do sound better after extended playing time..I just chose the number of plays at 10 for a ballpark figure...no science there either...so what we have determined is that there is little to no science in this post:cool:

In my experience, any quality music sounds better after multiple plays as your brain becomes more familiar with the nuances of the performance. I think it has less to do with the format and more to do with the listening (also no science behind this opinion.) :)

Well..the science is a little "muddy" on that aspect...some say there is a coating on the disc itself that needs to be burned off with repeated plays...but I do know from my experience with them that they do sound better after extended playing time..I just chose the number of plays at 10 for a ballpark figure...no science there either...so what we have determined is that there is little to no science in this post:cool:

I think that comes more from a disc player or DAC "breaking in" than the disc. At least that is my experience.

Back