Universal Japan SHM-SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems Breakfast In America SHM SACD is a bit hard to get now. Even says "deleted" on HMV. Anyone here get one?

Seems Breakfast In America SHM SACD is a bit hard to get now. Even says "deleted" on HMV. Anyone here get one?

I picked up my copy of the Breakfast In America SHM-SACD from Amazon.Co.Uk. It was getting pretty tough to find at the time. Wouldn't be surprised to hear that is continuing - especially now that the remaining Supertramp SACD release has been postponed.

However, Elusive Disc is showing the Breakfast in America SHM-SACD as being available on May 30, 2014. We'll see.....
http://www.elusivedisc.com/Supertra...anese-Import-SHM-SACD/productinfo/UNISAI9536/

Some more interesting SHM-SACD releases arriving on July 30th according to CD Japan....

Countdown to Ecstasy - Steely Dan
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UIGY-9566

Deceptive Bends - 10cc
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/UIGY-9567

WOW! If these sound as good as the Supertramp/Breakfast In America Platinum SHM-CD I just got, which uses the same 2013 DSD mastering as the SHM-SACD and sounds absolutely terrific, we're in for a treat! These are two of my all-time favourite albums!

Thank you for the cool scoop hot news once again Mr.M (y) Brilliant!

WOW! If these sound as good as the Supertramp/Breakfast In America Platinum SHM-CD I just got, which uses the same 2013 DSD mastering as the SHM-SACD and sounds absolutely terrific, we're in for a treat! These are two of my all-time favourite albums!

Some of the early SHM-SACD releases were hit and miss in terms of being a sonic upgrade. But lately Universal Japan seems to have found the formula with their SHM-SACD releases.
The recent Supertramp and Carpenters SHM-SACDs, among others, are really good. Looking forward to 10cc and Steely Dan!

Hey Fredblue, How does it compare to the BD?

I picked up my copy of the Breakfast In America SHM-SACD from Amazon.Co.Uk. It was getting pretty tough to find at the time. Wouldn't be surprised to hear that is continuing - especially now that the remaining Supertramp SACD release has been postponed.

However, Elusive Disc is showing the Breakfast in America SHM-SACD as being available on May 30, 2014. We'll see.....
http://www.elusivedisc.com/Supertra...anese-Import-SHM-SACD/productinfo/UNISAI9536/
They've deleted that text now.

Hey Fredblue, How does it compare to the BD?

Hi PK, I have to say I prefer the new 2013 Platinum SHM (qualifying the "Platinum" bit not due to the material used but because there's another 'non-platinum' SHM CD which has the deluxe edition remaster on it instead).

The new SHM is more crankable, smoother yet more detailed and bass is fuller and richer. The BD is pretty good and the old A&M Master Series CD was great in lots of ways but the Platinum SHM 2013 DSD is in a different league altogether, it's superb. Cymbal crashes don't have the splashyness of the BD and the occasional murky feel of the A&M CD is gone too.

It's funny I've read over the years people saying they feel it isn't a very well recorded album in the first place but really if this new (Platinum from 2013 DSD transfer!) SHM is the sound of the tapes then those people have never really heard it before, I'll say that for me it sounds better than any other version I've heard (I must be at half a dozen different ways now across various formats).

Hi PK, I have to say I prefer the new 2013 Platinum SHM (qualifying the "Platinum" bit not due to the material used but because there's another 'non-platinum' SHM CD which has the deluxe edition remaster on it instead).

The new SHM is more crankable, smoother yet more detailed and bass is fuller and richer. The BD is pretty good and the old A&M Master Series CD was great in lots of ways but the Platinum SHM 2013 DSD is in a different league altogether, it's superb. Cymbal crashes don't have the splashyness of the BD and the occasional murky feel of the A&M CD is gone too.

It's funny I've read over the years people saying they feel it isn't a very well recorded album in the first place but really if this new (Platinum from 2013 DSD transfer!) SHM is the sound of the tapes then those people have never really heard it before, I'll say that for me it sounds better than any other version I've heard (I must be at half a dozen different ways now across various formats).

Thanks fredblue...one last question: have you compared it to the SHM SACD?

Thanks fredblue...one last question: have you compared it to the SHM SACD?

Sadly not, I held off on the SACD and by the time I wanted to get it... well you know the score, it's now pricey/hard to find :(

Might be worth mentioning, the info on the Platinum SHM says it uses the same 2013 DSD mastering used on the SHM-SACD, so I guess its as good an indication as any of what the SACD sounds like :)

Sadly not, I held off on the SACD and by the time I wanted to get it... well you know the score, it's now pricey/hard to find :(

Might be worth mentioning, the info on the Platinum SHM says it uses the same 2013 DSD mastering used on the SHM-SACD, so I guess its as good an indication as any of what the SACD sounds like :)

Cool, thanks for the info :)

Looks like both of the Queen Greatest Hits SHM SACDs are out of print. I've got 'em both fortunately.

Queen/Queen is coming soon on SHM SACD.

Hi bmoura, can you list your recommendations? Thanks :)

Sure. I'd suggest these SHM-SACDs as among the best:
  1. Jimmy Smith - The Cat
  2. Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms
  3. The Carpenters - Singles: 1969-1973
  4. Supertramp - Breakfast In America
  5. Styx - Paradise Theater
  6. Steely Dan - Gaucho
  7. Elton John - Elton John
  8. Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
  9. Olivia Newton John - Come On Over
  10. Dire Straits - Dire Straits

Looks like both of the Queen Greatest Hits SHM SACDs are out of print. I've got 'em both fortunately.

Queen/Queen is coming soon on SHM SACD.

a DSD flat transfer from the original Stereo tapes of all the 70's Queen albums and I'd be all over that.. though I suspect the reason why the Ludwig 2011 remasters are being used on the Queen SHM-SACDs is because the original tapes are in poor condition and so the restored remasters are the best source despite the DR compressed new masterings.

Sure. I'd suggest these SHM-SACDs as among the best:
  1. Jimmy Smith - The Cat
  2. Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms
  3. The Carpenters - Singles: 1969-1973
  4. Supertramp - Breakfast In America
  5. Styx - Paradise Theater
  6. Steely Dan - Gaucho
  7. Elton John - Elton John
  8. Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
  9. Olivia Newton John - Come On Over
  10. Dire Straits - Dire Straits

Thanks for the list! (y)

5 out of 10 of those are available in Hi-Res Surround with excellent 5.1 mixes, so that wipes out those for most people on QQ (me included, save for the Elton's).. then on a personal level, I won't be buying an ONJ album anytime soon (!).. I have the 2013 SHM CD Supertramp already (which sounds amazing) and the 2 EJ SHM-SACD's too (GYBR is very good but not worth the £50 I had to shell out for it late in the game imho!) so I'm left with Jimmy Smith, Styx & Dire Straits' Self-titled, which I'll probably check all 3 out and buy if they're not already über-expensive!

a DSD flat transfer from the original Stereo tapes of all the 70's Queen albums and I'd be all over that.. though I suspect the reason why the Ludwig 2011 remasters are being used on the Queen SHM-SACDs is because the original tapes are in poor condition and so the restored remasters are the best source despite the DR compressed new masterings.

Or it could be that the band or record label prefers the Ludwig 2011 remasters to putting out a flat transfer from the '70s. Hard to say.

Or it could be that the band or record label prefers the Ludwig 2011 remasters to putting out a flat transfer from the '70s. Hard to say.

Good point! Are these SHM's band approved? They seem to be label driven but who knows!

On the strength of the Supertramp (it really does sound wonderful) I've just bought a clutch of Platinum SHM's (including Stevie Wonder-Talking Book, Stevie W. - Innervisions, Steely Dan-Aja.. all at £19 a pop) and the Songs In The Key Of Life SHM-SACD (@£27.. thought that was a decent price at this stage of the game?).

My current rationale is.. if it's a double album or spreads across 2 CDs, I'm getting the SACD to keep it all on one disc.. whereas if its a 1-disc wonder I'm going for the Platinum's (without the white boxes that add about £10 to the price and about 2 inches of shelf bulk!) if I love the Platinum's then I'll keep my beady eye out for the SACDs down the line.

Back