Universal Japan SHM-SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
analogue mixdown (is that technically a dub in this situation?) used to cut the LP by the sounds of it? I imagine early digital recordings like The Nightfly went through a similar "fate" (process) when mastered for LP back in the day (an analogue copy used to cut the LP was anecdotally used for the first CD release iirc?) before digitally mastered vinyl truly kicked in?

It's not usually called a mix down. But it would be the two channel tape used to create the LP, CD, etc. So the value to the consumer is you would be getting the version used in the original commercial release vs. a later version. Much as some of the new DSD Downloads on NativeDSD.Com and Super HiRez are using the DSD Edit Master Tape vs. audio from the SACD.

analogue mixdown (is that technically a dub in this situation?) used to cut the LP by the sounds of it? I imagine early digital recordings like The Nightfly went through a similar "fate" (process) when mastered for LP back in the day (an analogue copy used to cut the LP was anecdotally used for the first CD release iirc?) before digitally mastered vinyl truly kicked in?
Even the first CD release had the long versions, so the tape was used for the LP only.

so this is like a fancy-shmancy needledrop without the risk of any snap, crackle or pop! Or like an 80's CD taken from an LP cutting master rather than the original master tape! :D

Interested to know how the Arc Of A Diver SHM-SACD sounds, silvahalo007..? The old Island CD sounds wonderful imho.

Agreed. That CD is sounds really nice. I still listen to it. Not sure if I'd buy the SACD (unless it was multi-channel) :)

Interested to know how the Arc Of A Diver SHM-SACD sounds, silvahalo007..? The old Island CD sounds wonderful imho.

I don't have the original Island CD which is kinda surprising considering I seem to have Arc in every other format/issue!

I compared the SHM-SACD to the recent 2012, 2CD, deluxe edition (http://www.discogs.com/Steve-Winwood-Arc-Of-A-Diver/release/5264063) and the 2007 Japanese remaster found in the SW Island Years box set (http://www.discogs.com/Steve-Winwood-The-Island-Years-1977-1986/release/5299497). This version was also packaged separately in a mini-LP sleeve and later in a budget edition, jewel case.

According to CDJapan the SHM-SACD uses a 2014 DSD master from the original UK analog tape. The clarity of the music is great but it comes up a little bass-shy on my system. Have to crank the sub more.

Both CDs have more loudness to them but not in a tinny or compressed way. I think I found the 2007 Japanese version the most pleasant to listen to. It has the right balance of treble and a nice bass punch. Night Train sounds awesome! It's on repeat. Such a funky bassline and it's a synth!

Does anyone else find that they have to crank their subs on a lot of the SHM-SACDs? Perhaps it's just me.

so this is like a fancy-shmancy needledrop without the risk of any snap, crackle or pop! Or like an 80's CD taken from an LP cutting master rather than the original master tape! :D

No, it's actually one step from the original master tape.

I don't have the original Island CD which is kinda surprising considering I seem to have Arc in every other format/issue!

I compared the SHM-SACD to the recent 2012, 2CD, deluxe edition (http://www.discogs.com/Steve-Winwood-Arc-Of-A-Diver/release/5264063) and the 2007 Japanese remaster found in the SW Island Years box set (http://www.discogs.com/Steve-Winwood-The-Island-Years-1977-1986/release/5299497). This version was also packaged separately in a mini-LP sleeve and later in a budget edition, jewel case.

According to CDJapan the SHM-SACD uses a 2014 DSD master from the original UK analog tape. The clarity of the music is great but it comes up a little bass-shy on my system. Have to crank the sub more.

Both CDs have more loudness to them but not in a tinny or compressed way. I think I found the 2007 Japanese version the most pleasant to listen to. It has the right balance of treble and a nice bass punch. Night Train sounds awesome! It's on repeat. Such a funky bassline and it's a synth!

Does anyone else find that they have to crank their subs on a lot of the SHM-SACDs? Perhaps it's just me.

For anyone who loves the Arc Of A Diver album and hasn't got the old CD already you have to get that first CD release, it sounds staggeringly good.

I don't know about bass, I set my fronts to Large for Music-only playback and there's very rarely a noticeable problem but I have been fairly underwhelmed by the SHM-SACDs I've heard.. but still lots of people seem to love them, so I'm probably overlooking their plus points. The Stones' SHM's go down particularly well it would seem. I've got the Elton John SHM-SACD (self-titled 2nd LP) on its way in the mail from Japan (SHF members raving about it prompted me to cave in & get it at last.. but if its anything like the Yellow Brick Road SHM, I'm unlikely to be totally wowed by it..).

tapes used way back when to make the old LPs of these albums are not the original master tapes..
I was thinking it might be fun to play the short version in the car so I may order this on a platinum SHM CD. Same packaging, and I really like the packaging. I'd make a CD-R copy for the car.

Supertramp's classic album Breakfast in America on Single Layer SHM-SACD from A&M/Universal Japan.
The SHM-SACD sounds good and has a surprising amount of low end on the disc.

This one has the new packaging and was released in late 2013. Even so, it's already getting hard to find.
(Another reminder to grab these limited edition SACDs when they first come out if you're interested.)

The SHM-SACD edition indicates it was created with:
"DSD flat transferred from U.S. Original Analogue Master Tapes by Warren Sokol at Universal Mastering Studios, Hollywood, CA in 2013.
Edited in DSD by Manabu Matsumura at Universal Mastering Studios in Japan."

Breakfast In America - 325w.jpg
Breakfast In America - Supertramp (A&M Records/Universal Japan, Single Layer Stereo SHM-SACD, UIGY-9536)

Supertramp's classic album Breakfast in America on Single Layer SHM-SACD from A&M/Universal Japan.
The SHM-SACD sounds good and has a surprising amount of low end on the disc.

This one has the new packaging and was released in late 2013. Even so, it's already getting hard to find.
(Another reminder to grab these limited edition SACDs when they first come out if you're interested.)

The SHM-SACD edition indicates it was created with:

View attachment 14104
Breakfast In America - Supertramp (A&M Records/Universal Japan, Single Layer Stereo SHM-SACD, UIGY-9536)

I just bought the new Supertramp/BIA SHM-CD (which apparently uses the same DSD flat transfer as the SACD) for £19. Even an "SACD bigot" like me is going to settle for that :)

I was thinking it might be fun to play the short version in the car so I may order this on a platinum SHM CD. Same packaging, and I really like the packaging. I'd make a CD-R copy for the car.

short version for short journeys but don't forget to pack your long version for a long one! :smokin

Here's my long version. This is a real gold disk. You can't see through it like those cheap AF and MFSL ones.
short version for short journeys but don't forget to pack your long version for a long one! :smokin

Attachments

• money_for_nothing_cd_video.jpg
    money_for_nothing_cd_video.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
aww.. CDVideo! so cute! do they even play in DVD or BDP's? Last time I would've played my EJ CDV's would've been on my LDP! :eek:
The video won't play on anything other than a LD player but the audio tracks play on anything that plays CDs.

The long-awaited SHM-SACD edition of The Singles: 1969-1973 by the Carpenters is now available.

Unlike the Multichannel SACD, this one sounds like a straight transfer from the 2 Channel Master Tape (no overdubs and re-playing here).
Definitely worth it for fans of The Carpenters music.

The liner notes credit a February 2014 remastering by Richard Carpenter & Bernie Grundman as the source of the DSD here.

A&M/Universal Japan already has plans to release the second "Singles" album on SHM-SACD this summer.
It makes me wonder if more of the Carpenters catalog will be getting the SHM-SACD treatment soon. Hopefully so!

The Singles 1969-1973 - 325w.jpg
The Singles: 1969-1973 - The Carpenters (A&M Records/Universal Japan, Single Layer Stereo SHM-SACD, UIGY-9542)

As Brian mentioned, coming this summer to SHM-SACD Japan:
unisai9563.jpg

1. Sweet Sweet Smile
2. Jambalaya (On The Bayou)
3. Cant Smile Without You
4. I Wont Last A Day Without You
5. All You Get From Love Is A Love Song
6. Only Yesterday
7. Solitaire
8. Please Mr Posman
9. I Need To Be In Love
10. Happy
11. Theres A Kind Of Hush
12. Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft

As Brian mentioned, coming this summer to SHM-SACD Japan:
View attachment 14114

1. Sweet Sweet Smile
2. Jambalaya (On The Bayou)
3. Cant Smile Without You
4. I Wont Last A Day Without You
5. All You Get From Love Is A Love Song
6. Only Yesterday
7. Solitaire
8. Please Mr Posman
9. I Need To Be In Love
10. Happy
11. Theres A Kind Of Hush
12. Calling Occupants Of Interplanetary Craft

The Singles SHM-SACD is new enough that it is in stock in Japan as well as through several of the US sellers at the moment.

Even so, the excellent sonics on this release is encouraging a number of fans to pre-order the next Carpenters SHM-SACD, just to be sure they don't miss it.
A very interesting development!

Back