Universal Japan SHM-SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have nothing to contribute then try to refrain from posting please. Thank you.

cupboy's not being obtuse here, Universal and JVC (the guys behind the SHM technology) have stated their original intent was not to have a MultiCh programme on their SHM-SACDs.

Not because it can't technically be done but because they felt adding any other programme to the single layer would adversely affect the quality of the disc and playback.

To me it all smacked of bullshit and snake oil voodoo garbage but that's what the people behind these discs had to say so really it's not fair to shoot the messenger, blame Universal and JVC.

There is one other factor that shouldn't be overlooked - traditionally surround music has been a hard sell to the Japanese.

It's one of the reasons the old Sony Single layer MultiCh SACDs from Japan released 10+ years ago are more readily available than their USA & European counterparts which are much harder to source nowadays.

All sorts of reasons have been postulated but one consideration is the Japanese largely live in more modest dwellings than Americans etc.. and accommodating a room full of speakers necessary for MultiChannel music isn't as easy an option as it is for people in other countries where living space isn't at such a premium as it is in densely populated Japan.

Its probably as much a commercial decision based on the demographic (these SHM SACDs are Japanese releases intended for their domestic market as much as anywhere in the world) plus of course there's the added overhead to Universal adding 5.1 mixes and so on.

There is one other factor that shouldn't be overlooked - traditionally surround music has been a hard sell to the Japanese.

An interesting notion. But it doesn't explain the Japanese record companies that have issued - and in some cases continue to issue - Multichannel SACDs. In some cases just for the Japanese market.
Ditto for the Quad era where there were additional 4.0 Surround albums that were not released in the U.S. market along with the Quad albums from RCA, Columbia, etc that were.

It's one of the reasons the old Sony Single layer MultiCh SACDs from Japan released 10+ years ago are more readily available than their USA & European counterparts which are much harder to source nowadays.

All sorts of reasons have been postulated but one consideration is the Japanese largely live in more modest dwellings than Americans etc.. and accommodating a room full of speakers necessary for MultiChannel music isn't as easy an option as it is for people in other countries where living space isn't at such a premium as it is in densely populated Japan.

Its probably as much a commercial decision based on the demographic (these SHM SACDs are Japanese releases intended for their domestic market as much as anywhere in the world) plus of course there's the added overhead to Universal adding 5.1 mixes and so on.

I'm curious, is Hoffman a Japanese name?

An interesting notion. But it doesn't explain the Japanese record companies that have issued - and in some cases continue to issue - Multichannel SACDs. In some cases just for the Japanese market.

Yes but how does the existence of a few Japanese surround releases disprove that idea?

To be honest I don't really care either way (its not my personal opinion, it's all just anecdotal stuff I've seen discussed by various people at different times as a contributing factor to the lack of uptake in surround music over there) as I gave up years ago on any chance of surround music ever becoming anything but a teeny niche market at the best of times and just try to make the best of a less than ideal situation.

Ditto for the Quad era where there were additional Multichannel albums that were not released in the U.S.

Such as..? The few Motown CD-4's (if that's the kind of thing you're referring to?) were the exception rather than the norm imho.. a handful of old Japanese Quads hardly amounts to anything worth mentioning.

To be honest I don't really care either way (its not my personal opinion, it's all just anecdotal stuff I've seen discussed by various people at different times as a contributing factor to the lack of uptake in surround music over there)

That's the thing about anecdotal comments. Sometimes they are not true... :)

His wife is oriental I believe.

Well, his wife is Karla Hoffman. Here's a photo of her from Twitter.

Karla_3-2010.jpg

Are you sure that's not his daughter? She looks quite a bit younger than him.

Back