Universal Japan SHM-SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Like many remasters, it always depends on the source used and the mastering. The Who - The Singles is very good on SHM-SACD along with Steely Dan's Aja and the Stevie Wonder albums, among others.
Interestingly, I've been told that some recording artists actually got involved in providing better master sources for later releases in the SHM-SACD series. So the Japanese audiophiles must be very vocal about what they expect from such a premium reissue series !

Believe it or not, but the 2 Sex Pistols ones are worth grabbing too.
NMTB is a different master to the one used for the Universal Blu-Ray Audio release - do not ask me why but they do not sound the same to me. The BDA has more power in the low end and the SACD sounds a little harsh in the upper mids and some of the effect delays are different too (most noticeable on the echo repeat in "Bodies" being lower in the mix), and a lot of other differences lead me to think they are different masters.
Moving on to "Swindle", we can tell right away that it's gone back to the original UK release (initial copies had a different running order, slightly different sleeve art & "The God Save the Queen Symphony" did not have Malcolm McLaren rasping away all over it telling everyone what a clever chap he was) and this has not been heard since the 70's, and has never had a digital release before so well, well worth grabbing whilst you can.

I was expecting to receive GFRR Shinin On today but looks like it spent too much time in customs, so maybe Monday.

update: Spoke too soon. USPS just dropped it off.

Amazing packaging. The mini-LP inside has those 2 stars cut out with blue and red transparent material attached to the back. Maybe the original vinyl release was like that too. Don't know.

Attachments

• shinin_on.jpg
    shinin_on.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 226
That's $50 vs. $20 so which you buy depends on how important this album is to you.

I like these boxes the new SHM SACDs (and platinum SHM CDs) come in. They look sort of like reel to reel tapes on the shelf. 5" reel size.

That's $50 vs. $20 so which you buy depends on how important this album is to you.

I like these boxes the new SHM SACDs (and platinum SHM CDs) come in. They look sort of like reel to reel tapes on the shelf. 5" reel size.

New boxes for the SHM-SACDs? Are these a change from the digipaks the SHM-SACDs used to come in ?

New boxes for the SHM-SACDs? Are these a change from the digipaks the SHM-SACDs used to come in ?
Yes. See the picture.. comparing a 5" reel box and SHM SACD box. They are the same thickness but the SHM SACD box is a bit taller.

Attachments

• reel_vs_shmsacd.jpg
    reel_vs_shmsacd.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 230
Yes. See the picture.. comparing a 5" reel box and SHM SACD box. They are the same thickness but the SHM SACD box is a bit taller.

Interesting. Can't say that any of my SHM-SACDs are in a box like that!

Just picked up "the other Gaucho SACD", the Single Layer SHM-SACD edition from Universal Japan.

This edition features "DSD transferred from analog master tapes by Manabu Matsumura at Universal Mastering Studios" in Japan
rather than the Stereo transfers by Elliot Scheiner on the original Gaucho Stereo SACD from Universal Music in the U.S.

Gaucho SHM SACD - II - 325.jpg
Gaucho - Steely Dan (Universal Japan, Single Layer Stereo SACD, UIGY-9039)

Have you a/b'ed the SACD 2ch layer to the SHM-SACD, Brian?

I did. I was curious about the reviews over on sa-cd.net saying the SHM-SACD edition was the preferred way to listen to the album in SACD Stereo.
And after comparing the two, I agree - the SHM SACD does indeed have some added detail when compared to the original SACD's Stereo Tracks on my system.

I also have Gaucho as a Stereo DSD Download from Super HiRez. So I'll have to do some comparing there as well.
Hmm, I'm becoming a Gaucho collector now...!

A classic Eric Clapton SACD, this time on Single Layer SHM-SACD from Universal Japan.

The SHM-SACD edition features "DSD Transferred from Analogue Master Tapes by
Hitoshi Takiguchi at Universal Mastering Studios in Japan.

It's Out of Print in Japan, but copies are still available through Acoustic Sounds, Elusive Disc and several sellers on Amazon.
http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/70783/Eric_Clapton-461_Ocean_Boulevard-SHM_Single_Layer_SACDs

461 Ocean Blvd - SHM SACD - 325.jpg
461 Ocean Boulevard - Eric Clapton (Universal Japan, Single Layer Stereo SACD, UIGY-9024)

Saw an interesting comment regarding the SHM SACD Dire Straits Brothers In Arms (which I had ordered but later cancelled):
" Track 4 is missing over a minute of music. How this got past anyone I don't know. For Shame! Stick a fork in me, I'm done! "

Then later I saw this: http://sa-cd.net/showthread/118790//y?page=first

So, what are the track times on this?

Saw an interesting comment regarding the SHM SACD Dire Straits Brothers In Arms (which I had ordered but later cancelled):
" Track 4 is missing over a minute of music. How this got past anyone I don't know. For Shame! Stick a fork in me, I'm done! "

If the goal of the SHM-SACD version is to give the listener the original 2 track analog master sound, I suppose there may be trade-offs vs. later versions of the album.
It will be interesting to compare.

I heard the SHM-SACD uses the analogue master used to cut the LP (hence the edits)?

I heard the SHM-SACD uses the analogue master used to cut the LP (hence the edits)?

From SA-CD.net..

Post by Espen R Yesterday 01:57 pm (2 of 5)
reply | reply with quote | report
Ubermensch said:

"Just a note: The SHM-SACD does not contain the CD length version of the album, but contains the shortened song versions that appeared on the LP. Why this decision was made (?) not sure...
The shortened version….because they used the 30ips 1/2" analog tape that was made and used for cutting the original Lp. For first time used on CD/SACD, to my knowledge.
Transfered to DSD by FX Copyroom in London, 2014.

Anyone listened to the new SHM-SACD?"

Just picked up Steve Winwood's Arc of a Diver. At first I wasn't sure I was going to like the new SHM packaging. The box makes it a bit bulkier but then I realized they are going for the mini-LP sleeves which I happen to like. The OBI is a nice touch too. There is also an option to stick the disc on a hub inside the box. An option that I probably won't take.

image.jpg
image-1.jpg
image-2.jpg

This must be a new trend in Japan. The 40th Anniversary Blow by Blow Hybrid Multichannel SACD by Jeff Beck also has an LP style box.

From SA-CD.net..

Post by Espen R Yesterday 01:57 pm (2 of 5)
reply | reply with quote | report
Ubermensch said:

"Just a note: The SHM-SACD does not contain the CD length version of the album, but contains the shortened song versions that appeared on the LP. Why this decision was made (?) not sure...
The shortened version….because they used the 30ips 1/2" analog tape that was made and used for cutting the original Lp. For first time used on CD/SACD, to my knowledge.
Transfered to DSD by FX Copyroom in London, 2014.

Anyone listened to the new SHM-SACD?"

Wasn't "Brother In Arms" recorded on a digital multi-track?

Wasn't "Brother In Arms" recorded on a digital multi-track?

analogue mixdown (is that technically a dub in this situation?) used to cut the LP by the sounds of it? I imagine early digital recordings like The Nightfly went through a similar "fate" (process) when mastered for LP back in the day (an analogue copy used to cut the LP was anecdotally used for the first CD release iirc?) before digitally mastered vinyl truly kicked in?

Back