Universal Japan SHM-SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next on my SHM hit list.. Who's Next and Marvin's What's Going On.. Just gotta decide if I can stretch to £30-odd a piece for the SACDs or under £20 for the white box-less Platinum CDs.. hmm..

Next on my SHM hit list.. Who's Next and Marvin's What's Going On.. Just gotta decide if I can stretch to £30-odd a piece for the SACDs or under £20 for the white box-less Platinum CDs.. hmm..
I require my platinum SHM CDs to come in white boxes. I've got two so far. Paradise Theater and Blind Faith. Also have the SHM SACD of Blind Faith and compared them. The SACD lost the contest immediately. It was a different mastering though.

エクスタシー [SHM-SACD] [初回限定生産] / スティーリー・ダン
天才ドナルド・フェイゲンがリード・ヴォーカルとなってリリースされたセカンド・アルバム。ジャズとロックの接点をより広げた名盤。 (1973年発表) ●米国オリジナル・アナログ・テープを基にした2014年DSDマスターよりHRカッティング ●米国初回盤LPをミニチュア再現した紙ジャケット ●日本初回盤LPをミニチュア化した巻き帯 ●解説付

How about the old Quad mix, or a new 5.1 mix? Bronfman kids makin' profits for themselves, you know they don't give a f%&k about anybody else.

200718571237.jpg
mb2sA2EOgqSMyK1AUFzjhCg.jpg
mD-5Ca1lfYNyEYJ5B_jEBOQ.jpg
Count me in for Countdown To Ecstasy.

How about the old Quad mix, or a new 5.1 mix?

I'm sure it will be easier to find the original stereo analog master tapes on classic albums like these vs. looking for the multi-track master tapes and funding a new 5.1 mix and mastering.
Or even converting a 4.0 Quad mix to 5.1 Surround Sound for a new release.

The best bet for 5.1 releases will be new albums that can be mixed in 5.1 and stereo during production, now out of print 5.1 releases (DVD-A, SACD) and mining the vaults for 5.1 mixes
that have gone unreleased until now.

Not expecting any of this in the SHM-SACD series from Universal Japan. It's not their focus.

I'm sure it will be easier to find the original stereo analog master tapes on classic albums like these vs. looking for the multi-track master tapes and funding a new 5.1 mix and mastering.

The best bet for 5.1 releases will be new albums that can be mixed in 5.1 and stereo during production, now out of print 5.1 releases (DVD-A, SACD) and mining the vaults for 5.1 mixes

Not expecting any of this in the SHM-SACD series from Universal Japan. It's not their focus.

Elliot Scheiner found the multi's for Countdown To Ecstasy, Katy Lied, Can't Buy A Thrill & Pretzel Logic 10 years ago..

エクスタシー [SHM-SACD] [初回限定生産] / スティーリー・ダン
天才ドナルド・フェイゲンがリード・ヴォーカルとなってリリースされたセカンド・アルバム。ジャズとロックの接点をより広げた名盤。 (1973年発表) ●米国オリジナル・アナログ・テープを基にした2014年DSDマスターよりHRカッティング ●米国初回盤LPをミニチュア再現した紙ジャケット ●日本初回盤LPをミニチュア化した巻き帯 ●解説付

How about the old Quad mix, or a new 5.1 mix? Bronfman kids makin' profits for themselves, you know they don't give a f%&k about anybody else.

View attachment 14209
View attachment 14208
View attachment 14210

Oh yes Linda! I'd much rather have ES' 5.1 mix of "CTE", of course.. but.. this is one of the SD classics where no CD sounds that wonderful ("My Old School", which I love, is either too recessed & tame on the old 80's CD or a bit brittle and loud on the various remasters). I'm hoping this new DSD transfer can extract the absolute last drop of goodness out of whatever tapes they're using!

Funny, the SHM-SACD of "The Royal Scam" got cancelled and that's one of the sets of SD multi's ES was never said to have found... maybe no stereo or multi master tapes for that album are held in the archives and all that's in the Universal vaults is Roger Nicholls' transfers to digital he did in the early 80's, which Universal Japan deemed unfit for a DSD transfer for "TRS"..? Hmm..

There's an interesting thread on the SHM-SACDs over on the Steve Hoffman forum that ranks the discs by sound quality compared to other format editions of the albums.
Worth a look when shopping. The top ones there (full list is shown in message #328) are:

• Black Sabbath - Master of Reality
  • Carpenters - The Singles 1969-73
  • Dire Straits - Dire Straits *
  • Bill Evans - Explorations
  • Bill Evans - Moon Beams
  • Gentle Giant - Octopus
  • Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells
  • Mike Oldfield - Ommadawn
  • Jimmy Smith - The Cat
  • Traffic - John Barleycorn Must Die
  • Wishbone Ash - Argus
  • The Who - Quadrophenia
  • The Who - Who's Next (SH's MCA is very close)

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/the-best-shm-sacds-part3.319827/page-14#post-10594016

4 new shm-sacds coming from Japan.....3 from U.K. and Eddie Jobson with Zinc...

I dig the interplay between Buford-Holdsworth and the flitting of Jobson's electric violin.....it ain't no Asia...

Could this be U.K. 1st, Danger Money & Night After Night? And Eddie Jobson/Zinc - The Green Album (1983)? I'll go broke buying these!

From QQ deep space

I'm curious about the Brothers In Arms SHM version. I have the multi channel 20th anniversary SACD and I like it. Do you think the SHM version is better even though it's only stereo?

Some DNR numbers HERE

The Stereo SHM-SACD sonics are better than the Stereo SACD and Stereo CD audio from the Multichannel SACD. Multichannel Dire Straits fans will want both.

If the quad mix doesn't suck why not release that? Don't they save the original 4.0 mix as a master? Not specifically CDTE but in general. Converting a perfectly fine quad mix to 5.1 is no doubt expensive and much more difficult obviously. Sorry this is off topic for shm stuff...

If the quad mix doesn't suck why not release that? Don't they save the original 4.0 mix as a master? Not specifically CDTE but in general. Converting a perfectly fine quad mix to 5.1 is no doubt expensive and much more difficult obviously. Sorry this is off topic for shm stuff...

SHM SACDs aren't about surround sound at all.

Back