MUSIC ONLY! What's Your Latest Blu-Ray or Blu-Ray-A, Concert or Music-Related?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tami Show & The Big TNT Show - Blu-Ray Video

Tami lineup:
Jan & Dean
Geriatric & the Pacemakers
Chuck Berry
Smokey Robinson & Miracles
Marvin Gaye
Lesley Gore
Beach Boys
Billy J. Kramer
Supremes
Barbarians
James Brown
Rolling Stones

Big TNT Show lineup:
Ray Charles
Petula Clark
Bo Diddley
Joan Baez
Phil Spector
Ronettes
Roger Miller
Byrds
Donovan
Ike & Tina Turner

Doors Singles - Blu-Ray-A & 2 CD

Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers Live at the Fonda theatre 2015 - BD
Not excellent but very enjoyable surround on this one
Very good played with better separation on the instruments than on many other of their previous live material

David Gilmour - Live at the Pompeii - BD
I saw this in a movie theatre so i knew the surround was excellent on this one, at least in the Floyd numbers

Gentle Giant - Three Piece Suite - BD-A
Haven´t listened to this yet.
I guess Steven Wilson has done a great job again

Last edited:
Just received 9 BD~As [PCM 192/24/; PCM 96/24] from CD Japan from the Universal Label......Japan ONLY releases with the obi strip:

Vladimir Ashkenazy: Concerto for Piano & Orchestra #2 In C Minor, Op. 18 & Concerto for Piano/Orchestra No. 3 in D minor, op. 30 Moscow Philharmonic Orchestra conducted by Kiril Kondrashin/LSO conducted by Anatole Fistoulari
Kyung~Wha Chung: Tchaikovsky/Sibelius Violin Concertos with the LSO conducted by André Previn
Sonny Clark: Cool Struttin'
John Coltrane: Blue Trane
Bud Powell: The Scene Changes
Art Blakey & the Jazz Messengers: Moanin'
Sonny Rollins: Saxophone Colossus
Bill Evans: Portrait in Jazz
Art Pepper: Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section

Purchased during ImportCD's sale a week or so ago:

Pixies, Doolittle. I wouldn't have thought post-punk was all that well-suited to 5.1, necessarily--and I'm still not sure this album needs it. But it sounds good! Really clean and distinct. (In spite of the occasional screamed vocal and/or distorted guitar.)

Serge Gainsbourg, Histoire de Melody Nelson. I've had a bootleg of the DVDA for a while, and I love it. Surround sound really flatters a spare, well recorded production. I don't know that DTS-MAHD makes for that much of a sonic improvement over 48/24 in this instance. But I'm glad to have a legit copy, even if Universal has given up on BDA and Charlotte Gainsbourg doesn't need the money.

4adba90505.jpg
986672345_image1._histoire-de-melody-nelson-blu-ray-audio-cd.jpg

I just realized that I've been posting my blu-ray additions to the wrong thread. :yikes

Anywho my latest addition is The Doors - The Singles (Deluxe 2 CD's + 1 Blu-Ray)

IMG_0378.jpg

I purchased about an hour ago but somehow got derailed and now listening to the stereo HFPA BD-A of Miles Davis Take Off Blue Note Albums in DTS HD Master.

I purchased about an hour ago but somehow got derailed and now listening to the stereo HFPA BD-A of Miles Davis Take Off Blue Note Albums in DTS HD Master.

For roughly 9 bucks apiece, I just purchased 7 Japan ONLY Classic Jazz BD~As [with the obi strips] of classic Blue Note/Riverside Jazz in 192/24 resolution and IMO they sound better than the SACDs produced by Acoustic Sounds AND MoFi. NO SHIT SHERLOCK!:yikes

The Who- Tommy Live at the Royal Albert hall -BD
who tommy RAH.jpg
Like many others i felt it was not another Tommy release i wanted from the Who but i couldn´t resist buying it.
I don´t regret it as this is an really good performance of the rock opera.
The surround is sounding better than the stereo track which sadly isn´t always the case

Jeff Beck - Live at the Hollywood bowl - BD
jeff beck hollywood bowl.jpg
An really good performance with lots of special guests.
The surround is better than the stereo track on this one too

• XTC, Skylarking. (Never really knew this band back in the day; a friend finally turned me on to them a couple of weeks ago. Smart and irresistibly hook-y songwriting. I've already pre-ordered Black Sea.)
  • Jethro Tull, Aqualung. (The super-deluxe edition. Donno where I'm gonna store this thing, but thanks to whoever alerted us to the huge sale at Deep Discount a few weeks back, just the same!)

David Gilmour-Live At Pompeii[2 cd/2 Blu ray set]

I recently got this as well and have really enjoyed it, if anything the shorter selections of concerts on bluray #2 are very good as well, wonder what happened to the rest of the songs from those 2 concerts, couldn't they have included them as well?

I'm happy for audiophiles & historians that these are available, Chambers is a legend and this is a classic release.
But I question the benefit of the Hi Res upgrade to all but the most golden-eared.
It's in mono, plus they really rolled off the bottom end back in the 50s, so the needle wouldn't jump out of the groove.

I bought it this year as part of a 8 LP on 4 CD box set for $12.
The SHM-SACD costs triple that.
If a Chambers fan grabs a copy, I'd be curious if it the SHM-SACD is a quantum improvement on the budget box.

I've picked up half a dozen or so similar sets at similar prices for some of the jazz legends:
Mingus (5), Ray Brown (7), Bill Evans (10), Coltrane (5)...
A $55 20-CD Miles Davis on Columbia box.

A substantial budget CD jazz library for the price a few audiophile imports.
We're fortunate we live in the golden age of CD reissue and Euro union to have so many desirable options.

The casual fan fixed-income budget option, 289 minutes, 8 LPs on 4 RBCD.

View attachment 31067

I agree, a well mastered RBCD should be able, in most cases, to capture the fidelity contained on those early jazz recordings as doubtful they exceeded 15,000 hertz and the bass was rolled off when transferred to LP. My recent 'extravagant' purchase of 7 classic Riverside/Blue Note titles on 192/24 BD~As from CDJapan (most were $9~11 each] were surprisingly robust with decent bass but charging upward of $36 for those SHM~SACDs is a bit pricey.

The shame is, those Japan only BD~As probably didn't sell well and that's why CDJapan 'blew them out' for a fraction of their intended list price.....and even had an [uncustomary] free worldwide shipping promo as a further inducement.

BTW, exceptional deal on those 'classic' Paul Chambers RBCDs. I'm sure they sound excellent.

Look at what Acoustic Sounds is charging for the upcoming SHM~SACD of Paul Chambers' Whims of Chambers: http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/129950/Paul_Chambers-Whims_Of_Chambers-SHM_Single_Layer_SACDs :yikes:yikes

Maybe including the rest of the tracks on Blu ray 2 of the Live at Pompeii set would've made it more expensive and they decided to leave it as is.

Back