Universal Japan SHM-SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
or....I could just put The Last Waltz blu ray in and listen to it in surround!..like I'm doing right now..hehe...this way I get all the songs I want AND some of my favorite artists...like Van The Man Morrison...

Mr Eastwood,
As I am a lover of classic rock, I see a chance to pickup The Last Waltz at a very reasonable price on Amazon. Can you tell me what is in the rear channels on this blu ray? Is it mainly just the ambience of the crowd or are there instruments/vocals there also? I like a fairly aggressive mix so was wondering before I purchase.

Mr Eastwood,
As I am a lover of classic rock, I see a chance to pickup The Last Waltz at a very reasonable price on Amazon. Can you tell me what is in the rear channels on this blu ray? Is it mainly just the ambience of the crowd or are there instruments/vocals there also? I like a fairly aggressive mix so was wondering before I purchase.

The only time you hear crowd noise is at the conclusion of songs...you get instruments and vocals in the rears..I wouldn't call it aggressive...it's not like a Queen multi channel hi rez disc...most concerts aren't...

Here is what I can tell you...you buy it from amazon and if you don't like it I will buy the disc back from you...including shipping costs to me...fair enough...it's a classic..a chance to see some of the icons of Rock in their early years...just make sure to get the blu ray version..

The only time you hear crowd noise is at the conclusion of songs...you get instruments and vocals in the rears..I wouldn't call it aggressive...it's not like a Queen multi channel hi rez disc...most concerts aren't...

Here is what I can tell you...you buy it from amazon and if you don't like it I will buy the disc back from you...including shipping costs to me...fair enough...it's a classic..a chance to see some of the icons of Rock in their early years...just make sure to get the blu ray version..

As Clint said...not like a Queen...but I think it sounds pretty excellent.

After the set of Roxy Music SHM SACDs, the next set will be by Van der Graaf Generator (whoever that is!).

Is anyone here buying the Roxy Music SHM SACDs? Other than Avalon which of their albums are the best?

Is anyone here buying the Roxy Music SHM SACDs? Other than Avalon which of their albums are the best?

Comes down to personal taste of course... My take is that the first four albums are clearly superiour to the latter ones though there is no real dud in there. My two favorites are Stranded and Country Life. Avalon is good (and GOOD sounding on the SACD) but as a whole album? I don't know - I usually pick songs rather than play the full album through. Avalon the song though - it does not get any better...

I will not buy any of the SHM SACD's though. I am very happy with the Complete Studio Recording box set for now but will of course by the upcoming two first albums remixed by Steven Wilson.

Some prefer the Eno'esque first two albums, to me their sound jelled with albums 3-5...Stranded, Country Life, Siren, and they got progressively better production also. The live album "Viva" is also great and of the period. What followed was "Manifesto"....seemingly a much different track that I like, and then the disco era "Flesh and Blood", which I despise. Just one long time fans opinions. You can't go wrong with numbers 3 to 5. If you don't care for those, you probably won't like any others.

I put in an order for Country Life. I've always liked the album cover on that one. I had a bunch of points to use on CD Japan. Should have it in about a week or so.

I've got Siren on the way. CD Japan giving out bonus points 300 + the usual points.

Attachments

• points.jpg
    points.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 183
Just seen The Nice albums, Five Bridges, Elegy, & Autumn 67, Spring 68, are appearing as 2.0 SHM-SACD. I haven't listened to the old vinyl Five Bridges in years, I'll have to give it a spin.

image.jpg

A fantastic early 70s Prog Rock album.

This SHM-SACD not only offers excellent sound but also 5 bonus tracks which bring the playing time to 66 minutes.

View attachment 18885

A fantastic early 70s Prog Rock album.

This SHM-SACD not only offers excellent sound but also 5 bonus tracks which bring the playing time to 66 minutes.
Good choice. I'd recommend the SHM SACD of The Least We Can Do Is Wave to Each Other if you don't already have it.

Good choice. I'd recommend the SHM SACD of The Least We Can Do Is Wave to Each Other if you don't already have it.

Good stuff - although not for the faint of heart! I notice my favorite, Still Life, is part of the series. Any reviews on the sound?

Good stuff - although not for the faint of heart! I notice my favorite, Still Life, is part of the series. Any reviews on the sound?

image.jpg

Still Life sounds great IMHO. What an album! There has been some discussion on SACD.net about the source used for this release. All of the SACD booklets in this series state "DSD flat transferred from UK original analogue master tapes." and "Edited in DSD by Manabu Matsumura at Universal Music Studios, Tokyo, in 2015."

Still Life has one bonus track "Gog". It's a live recording from 1970. The SQ of this track isn't as good due to the poor quality of the original recording. The performance is impressive, though.

Actually, it's been a while since I've listened to these albums. But, I have good memories of the music, so I went ahead and bought all of these SHM-SACDs. So far, I (and others) have been impressed with the sound quality of these SHM-SACDs. I'd warmly recommend getting at least one of your favorite albums.

Rumored to be coming on November 27th, 2013:

Cream – Disraeli Gears
Rod Stewart – Every Picture Tells A Story
Supertramp – Breakfast in America
The Sex Pistols – Never Mind the Bollocks
The Police – Regatta de Blanc

All stereo of course.

-B

That Cream title is a bit hard to come by now, not to mention the Supertramp.

Back