Universal Japan SHM-SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's quite a bit cheaper on the .ca site. Canada seems to have a good supply still. Don't know why that is.

After converting to US dollars it's only about $10 more than what Acoustic Sounds (and the other two sites) would want for it (if they still had it).

Last edited:
View attachment 18897

Still Life sounds great IMHO. What an album! There has been some discussion on SACD.net about the source used for this release. All of the SACD booklets in this series state "DSD flat transferred from UK original analogue master tapes." and "Edited in DSD by Manabu Matsumura at Universal Music Studios, Tokyo, in 2015."

Still Life has one bonus track "Gog". It's a live recording from 1970. The SQ of this track isn't as good due to the poor quality of the original recording. The performance is impressive, though.

Actually, it's been a while since I've listened to these albums. But, I have good memories of the music, so I went ahead and bought all of these SHM-SACDs. So far, I (and others) have been impressed with the sound quality of these SHM-SACDs. I'd warmly recommend getting at least one of your favorite albums.

I've been very interested in this music - can you describe in more detail, the sound quality? You know, soundstage, brightness, bass content, warmness, etc... :)

Beach Boys - Surfer Girl

I simply cannot get enough of this STEREO SACD. The sound is simply outstanding......if you guys don't have this...you're missing out big time. I listen in PL II and it blows me away...

Hey GOS!

I am not ignoring you about the Van Der Graaf SHM-SACD. Please give me a little time to get back with you on it. I'm working on it. OK? Thanks!

Just arrived today from cdJapan...took 11 days...Ritchie Blackmoore's Rainbow-SHM-SACD 002.JPG

What type of shipping took 11 days? I choose air mail for about 7 US dollars and they always show up in 3-4 days.

Dude...that's 7,300 miles to my place...of course it's airmail...I have no idea where Madtown is located...is it close to Fantasy Island...you usually are telling us how something didn't reach you...now this...I can't figure you out with these shipping episodes...

I've been very interested in this music - can you describe in more detail, the sound quality? You know, soundstage, brightness, bass content, warmness, etc... :)

Hi GOS!

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. I've been listening to this SHM-SACD of Van Der Graaf - Still Life this week to get more familiar with it. And, I was comparing it to a 2005 RBCD version.

The SQ of this SHM-SACD is very good even for a 40 year old recording. It has aged well. There is plenty of bass. It's not overly bright or tinny at all. It has a nice analogue warmth as many SHM-SACDs do. There is also a good, three dimensional separation of the vocals and instruments. The music naturally flows out of the speakers. The vocals and also quiet passages in particular seem to float on air.

The SQ of the 2005 RBCD is not bad, but the SHM-SACD offers a noticeable improvement. First of all, the RBCD is slightly louder. I have to turn up the SHM-SACD to get to the same level. The detail and clarity of the SHM-SACD is also missing on the RBCD, which sounds veiled in comparison. This reduces the natural presence of the recording. The vocals and instruments have a more finished, well rounded image on the SHM-SACD. Background sounds also stand out more on the SHM-SACD. The only thing I like better about the RBCD version is the CD booklet. It has some good photos.

A minor complaint about this SACD is that it is only 2-ch stereo. The music is so good and IMHO would be even better in 4.0 or 5.1. I feel many 2-ch recordings sound cramped and congested in louder passages...even one as nice as this one. It's just a limitation of stereo. Perhaps one day Steven Wilson (or someone) will have the opportunity to give this incredible music that surround treatment it deserves. I sometimes play these Van Der Graaf SACDs in DPLII and the music really opens up.

But in the meantime, these SHM-SACDs sound great and are doing fine by me.

Warmly recommended!

Last edited:
Hi GOS!

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. I've been listening to this SHM-SACD of Van Der Graaf - Still Life this week to get more familiar with it. And, I was comparing it to a 2005 RBCD version.

The SQ of this SHM-SACD is very good even for a 40 year old recording. It has aged well. There is plenty of bass. It's not overly bright or tinny at all. It has a nice analogue warmth as many SHM-SACDs do. There is also a good, three dimensional separation of the vocals and instruments. The music naturally flows out of the speakers. The vocals and also quiet passages in particular seem to float on air.

The SQ of the 2005 RBCD is not bad, but the SHM-SACD offers a noticeable improvement. First of all, the RBCD is slightly louder. I have to turn up the SHM-SACD to get to the same level. The detail and clarity of the SHM-SACD is also missing on the RBCD, which sounds veiled in comparison. This reduces the natural presence of the recording. The vocals and instruments have a more finished, well rounded image on the SHM-SACD. Background sounds also stand out more on the SHM-SACD. The only thing I like better about the RBCD version is the CD booklet. It has some good photos and info in English.

A minor complaint about this SACD is that it is only 2-ch stereo. The music is so good and IMHO would be even better in 4.0 or 5.1. I feel many 2-ch recordings sound cramped and congested in louder passages...even one as nice as this one. It's just a limitation of stereo. Perhaps one day Steven Wilson (or someone) will have the opportunity to give this incredible music that surround treatment it deserves. I sometimes play these Van Der Graaf SACDs in DPLII and the music really opens up.

But in the meantime, these SHM-SACDs sound great and are doing fine by me.

Warmly recommended!

Thanks Lute - a much more detailed impression that I expected, I appreciate the effort. This helps. :)

Still Life sounds great IMHO. What an album! There has been some discussion on SACD.net about the source used for this release. All of the SACD booklets in this series state "DSD flat transferred from UK original analogue master tapes." and "Edited in DSD by Manabu Matsumura at Universal Music Studios, Tokyo, in 2015."

Thanks for the info and review, Lute! This bodes well. Matsumura also handled the Gentle Giant Octopus SHM-SACD and it is far and away the best version I've heard.

(on a separate note; I found out that Queen's SHM SACD Japanese editions of their First LP up to "Flash Gordon"-Including "The Game" ARE REAL HI REZ , but alas, they are Stereo)

wow.. thanks Kap! (y) so the Queen SACDs are true Hi-Rez! I've read so many negative things (mainly on the SHF) about them because of their EQ and DRC.. put me right off.. guess I'll have to check them out after all.

Amazon.ca cut the price of the Cream Disraeli Gears by $15, and look how fast the eBay seller(s) snagged what was left of them. Of course, I paid the higher price, but someone had to. "Temporarily out of stock"? I don't think so. I should be receiving mine tomorrow according to the UPS tracking. Hope it's undamaged since no replacements would be possible.

Attachments

• cream_pricechange_resize80.jpg
    cream_pricechange_resize80.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 202
This showed up today from amazon.ca -- had to go pick it up over at UPS

Stereo and Mono versions plus bonus tracks (28 tracks total!)

Attachments

• cream_disrael2i.jpg
    cream_disrael2i.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 324
Van Der Graaf Generator - Still Life SHM-SACD (Japan)

Thanks, Lute, for bringing this to my attention. It does sound very good. Interestingly it is quite similar tonally and dynamically to the ’92 Caroline CD which leads me to believe that both were very sensitively mastered with little (if any) tweaking of the master tape. The SACD, however, would appear to benefit from a more modern transfer and higher resolution. It sounds a bit fuller and warmer than the CD.

UIGY-9681.jpg

Van Der Graaf Generator - Still Life SHM-SACD (Japan)

Thanks, Lute, for bringing this to my attention. It does sound very good. Interestingly it is quite similar tonally and dynamically to the ’92 Caroline CD which leads me to believe that both were very sensitively mastered with little (if any) tweaking of the master tape. The SACD, however, would appear to benefit from a more modern transfer and higher resolution. It sounds a bit fuller and warmer than the CD.

Yes, the RBCD isn't bad. A few weeks ago I was listening to my RBCD in the car and was surprised by how good it was sounding on the car stereo. I thought wait a minute. Is it really as good as the SHM-SACD? On my home system...it had plenty of clarity, but lacked the depth, warmth and 3 dimensional aspect of the SHM-SACD. It's interesting how good low Rez can sound on an ordinary audio system. One's ears can get used to a particular sound quite easily.

This stunner arrived today from Acoustic Sounds. Got the free shipping by Fedex Ground. Couldn't import one from Japan... all sold out. Organ + SHM SACD is a pretty good combination.

Attachments

• saint_saens_SHMSACD.jpg
    saint_saens_SHMSACD.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 174
These two finally showed up from the local post office that misplaced my parcel once again. Funny how they couldn't find it when I was there yesterday and all of a sudden it shows up today.

The classical SHM SACDs still come in the heavy fold-out cardboard packaging.

Attachments

• SHM_SACD_showedupfinally.jpg
    SHM_SACD_showedupfinally.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 163
Back