Universal Japan SHM-SACDs

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder if the Supertramp features the same mastering. If so, that will make the price of the first pressing drop.

Universal Japan is probably making more copies of the original SHM-SACD release.
Good news for fans of the out of print SHM-SACDs by Supertramp and The Carpenters. Both are must have SACDs.

I have to ask as I'm not too privy on these Japanese releases. Does Universal Japan release Multichannel content like Sony Japan has done recently?

This could be a good time to sell your originals if you have them, before this news becomes widespread.

Already a hot item! Click on the picture to see all of the titles.

Last edited:
I did own the Breakfast in America SACD and it is a sweet sounding release. The one mistake that most people do concerning this title is to expect the same level of fidelity as Crime of the Century. These albums were recorded by different people in different studios using different gear. It has been widely discussed that the sound console used for Breakfast was somewhat problematic and this can be perceived by the lack of fidelity when compared to Crime. But if you compare this SACD to previously released digital versions of Breakfast, then you get to appreciate what it brings on the table. If you have hesitated in the past, you can now rectify this sad state of affairs by placing your order. Operators are standing by... ;)

Based on the SHM SACD re-issue releases from November, 2014, regular jewel case with OBI (cost cuts to packaging reflected in lower re-issue price point). :)

I actually like the regular jewel cases. Of course I like those white boxes too, they are the same size as 5" reel to reel tapes. Of all of these re-releases only Wheels Of Fire wasn't in a white box.

Universal Japan is re~releasing a spate of former SHM~SACDs as hybrid Stereo SACDs including Steely Dan's Pretzel Logic/Countdown to Ecstasy, Supertramp's Breakfast in America, the Carpenters' Singles, Tears for Fear's Songs From The Big Chair, etc.

Some examples: http://www.importcds.com/pretzel-logic/4988031161807

http://www.importcds.com/regatta-de-blanc/4988031161838

Release dates: 9/02/16.

Ugh...if only they would do multi-channel. I wonder why they don't???

Ugh...if only they would do multi-channel. I wonder why they don't???

I felt the EXACT same way, Gos. Seems they keep releasing the same old, SAME OLD, albums in stereo without adding any new titles. ALL have been released before and some in multichannel.

BORING!

I felt the EXACT same way, Gos. Seems they keep releasing the same old, SAME OLD, albums in stereo without adding any new titles. ALL have been released before and some in multichannel.

BORING!

These are merely re-issues...you must have missed this Ralphie...it was discussed several weeks ago on here...they do that sometimes and it's a good deal if you missed the initial offering..only difference is the packaging...second time around is usually in a jewel box case...but still a good deal..

These are merely re-issues...you must have missed this Ralphie...it was discussed several weeks ago on here...they do that sometimes and it's a good deal if you missed the initial offering..only difference is the packaging...second time around is usually in a jewel box case...but still a good deal..

Clint, they're reissues of reissues. Initially a lot of them were SHM~SACDs selling for $60 each and then later at the $30 nice price point as SHM~SACDs in CD cases. This is the third time around only they're hybrids. Hell, Universal is sitting on top of the VAST Capitol Records catalog and except for a Grand Funk Railroad SHM~SACD reissue and some John Lennon titles........they keep releasing the SAME titles OVER and OVER inducing vertigo in this VERY frustrated consumer.

Has Universal ever heard the term DIVERSITY?

Clint, they're reissues of reissues. Initially a lot of them were SHM~SACDs selling for $60 each and then later at the $30 nice price point as SHM~SACDs in CD cases. This is the third time around only they're hybrids. Hell, Universal is sitting on top of the VAST Capitol Records catalog and except for a Grand Funk Railroad SHM~SACD reissue and some John Lennon titles........they keep releasing the SAME titles OVER and OVER inducing vertigo in this VERY frustrated consumer.

Has Universal ever heard the term DIVERSITY?

These titles weren't included in a previous round of reissues...

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing as playing an SHM SACD 5 to 6 times before getting improved sound out of it? Sounds a bit weird. Here is the link and a quote from the link just below it:

http://www.hraudio.net/showmusic.php?title=9329#reviews

"...As a forward, and after my first listen of this SHM SACD in its entirety, the initial impression was a noticeable lackluster quality to the audio. I responded by repeatedly playing "Long Distance Voyager" (5-6 times) with the volume off. Then I listened with the volume turned back on and immediately noticed a significant improvement in the the audio as the dynamics 'opened up'. I have a large number of SHM SACDs in my collection and previously encountered this audio result with a few discs, notably The Who: Who's Next and Steve Winwood: Arc of a Diver. What is the reason for such a change? Is it related to the plastic coating applied to SHM discs? Perhaps but it would be just a guess on my part. If anything is to be learned, it is do not make quick judgements based on your first impressions of audio quality. Nevertheless, and it is important to point out, my review is based solely on the outcome of listening to "Long Distance Voyager" for any benefits in high resolution audio..... it is not about perceived issues with the quality of sound from some SHM SACD discs..."

Back