Dolby Surround CD's - What's Your Latest?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snowflakes Are Dancing - Tomita

image.jpg

That's a favorite here. Good music and sound effects in Surround. A winner with the Surround Master!

Just gave it (and the 2 x Tomita Surround CDs I just got) a play through in DPLII and no slouch either! (y) (the Debussy/Snowflakes Tomita Surround CD struck me as particularly impressive).

Time to get a Surround Master from Involve Audio.... :)
http://involveaudio.com/surround-master/

A VERY tempting suggestion, Brian, but upon reading the Surround Master suggestion that you plug the source player [device] directly into the SM is out of reach for me since I am running 5 separate players [devices]* directly into my Meridian pre/pro (with the HDMI from my OPPO BDP~105 going into the Meridian 861 HDMI processor which is connected to the Meridian 861.v6 pre/pro).

This would involve adding another switching device which I don't feel comfortable utilizing.

ANY suggestions?

[* Meridian 800 DVD~A player, Meridian 808 RBCD/DVD~A STEREO Player, Oppo BDP 105, Marantz SA11S3 SACD Stereo Player and the Meridian SooLoos]

Three albums by Schiller:

- Sehnsucht (box set with 2CDs /1 DVD), both CD's encoded with Dolby Surround
- Plus (box set with 2CDs /1 DVD), both albums - Zeitgeist and Weltreise, encoded with Dolby Surround
- Leben (Hybrid multichannel SACD), with the CD layer encoded with Dolby Surround. This edition is unique as it has different versions of some songs in the stereo SACD layer compared to the multichannel layer.

If you're into chill out electronic music, these are must have! :phones

Attachments

• IMG_0202.jpg
    IMG_0202.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_0204.jpg
    IMG_0204.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 265
I guess I'll join this small club. I just acquired my third Dolby Surround CD (after Kurt Weill's Lady in the Dark on Jay and a DTS-CD transfer of Michael Nesmith's Tropical Campfires--a great album): Peter Schickele, The Short-Tempered Clavier and other dysfunctional works for keyboard. One of two P.D.Q. Bach albums, as far as I can tell--the other being The Ill-Conceived P.D.Q. Bach Anthology--in virtual surround (this one using "Spatializer" technology) on Telarc. Sounds great through the Dolby Surround filter on my Marantz 1607. Christopher O'Riley (!) performs the title work.

R-5802337-1408329436-2929.jpeg.jpg

And here's the companion to the disc above: The Ill-Conceived P.D.Q. Bach Anthology--a sort of "Best of the Telarc Years." Some tracks show off the Dolby Surround ("enhanced by Pro-Spatializer® and RSP Circle Surround®"!) to better advantage than others, but all in all it's a good compilation. I acquired this from an Amazon Marketplace seller, but it's amazing to see that back in the day, all of the Telarc discs were being offered through the BMG Music Club.

The_Ill-Conceived_P.D.Q._Bach_Anthology.jpg

And here's the companion to the disc above: The Ill-Conceived P.D.Q. Bach Anthology--a sort of "Best of the Telarc Years." Some tracks show off the Dolby Surround ("enhanced by Pro-Spatializer® and RSP Circle Surround®"!) to better advantage than others, but all in all it's a good compilation. I acquired this from an Amazon Marketplace seller, but it's amazing to see that back in the day, all of the Telarc discs were being offered through the BMG Music Club.

The_Ill-Conceived_P.D.Q._Bach_Anthology.jpg

Wow, PDQ Bach? I had no idea these were in Dolby Surround. I have most of the Schickele/PDQ discography and and I've seen his shows 6-7 times. Pity I think he's pretty much retired now.

Although not indicated as Dolby Surround Encoded , ELP'S -In The Hot Seat bonus track of Pictures At An Exhibition , reissued ( this year -2017) may or may not be Encoded .

The original indicated this bonus track as dolby surround encoded.

Does anyone have this 2017 reissue edition .....and can confirm it's encoded ? Or not.

I think that only The Short-Tempered Clavier and The Ill-Conceived were surround-encoded. AFAIK, the rest were plain-vanilla stereo.

Wow, PDQ Bach? I had no idea these were in Dolby Surround. I have most of the Schickele/PDQ discography and and I've seen his shows 6-7 times. Pity I think he's pretty much retired now.

Emerson, Lake and Palmer: The Return of the Manticore box set

From wikipedia:

"The Return of the Manticore is a 4-disc retrospective on the career of the band Emerson, Lake & Palmer. It was released in 1993, and features several new recordings of previously released songs, most notably a studio recording of "Pictures at an Exhibition," presented in Dolby Surround Sound. "

But Dolby Surround coding isn't detected by my Pioneer SC LX85.

R-1742943-1240498771.jpeg.jpg

Emerson, Lake and Palmer: The Return of the Manticore box set

I've owned this for 25 years, got it from the old BMG CD mail-order club.
I'm sure you'll enjoy it, it has several rare tracks unavailable elsewhere.
The "new" recordings of Pictures, 21st Century Schizoid Man, and Fire are awesome.
The 1993 "I Believe In Father Christmas" is a quite different production from the 70s single or album cut.

But Dolby Surround coding isn't detected by my Pioneer SC LX85.
Not sure what this means.
They're standard redbook CDs.
Only Disc One, first six tracks, are Dolby matrix encoded.

I certainly believe I hear an enhanced mix when I listen to them with my AVR set to Dolby or Neo surround processing.
Not super discrete, but more active than the vintage stereo tracks using the same decoding.
Your mileage may vary.

I'm no expert, maybe other folks can comment.
This is the only "Dolby Surround CD" I've found in my library.

Back