Dolby Surround CD's - What's Your Latest?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now this I just had to get in Surround..!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 268
Some Stokowski (there's rather a lot of Classical he conducted on Dolby Surround CD, I've found a few now all for £1-£2) anyhoo, here's today's acquisition, Bach w/The LSO:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 267

Haha! FWIW, it STINKS!!! the most authentic thing about it is the front cover photo!

these are not the original recordings (I doubt they're even the original artistes "singing" them!) and there's nothing happening in surround thru PLII.

easily one of the worst surround-related things I've ever bought! still it was about £1 and I wasn't expecting much.. though its even worse than I imagined! :D

Haha! FWIW, it STINKS!!! the most authentic thing about it is the front cover photo!

these are not the original recordings (I doubt they're even the original artistes "singing" them!) and there's nothing happening in surround thru PLII.

easily one of the worst surround-related things I've ever bought! still it was about £1 and I wasn't expecting much.. though its even worse than I imagined! :D

Another frisbee? Or something you can stand upon when you try to change a light bulb!
:)

I'll have to order me a copy. I just got back from Albuquerque, NM, visiting my dad and am flying back out on the 14th to have Thanksgiving there. I'll be home most of December then back to Abq for 2 weeks in Jan -- I'm gonna be spending half my months in NM - my dad is 84, lives alone and this way I can be there at least half the time.

Did you visit Krazy Kat records, Ty?

I'll have to order me a copy. I just got back from Albuquerque, NM, visiting my dad and am flying back out on the 14th to have Thanksgiving there. I'll be home most of December then back to Abq for 2 weeks in Jan -- I'm gonna be spending half my months in NM - my dad is 84, lives alone and this way I can be there at least half the time.

A Dolby Surround (logo) marked CD that did _not_ use a Dolby Surround Encoder:

DELOS DE 3196 (1812 Overture)

From the enclosed booklet:
"Delos' Dolby Surround recordings are encoded naturally during the
basic recording session through the use of microphone techniques
that randomize stereo pickup of ambient and reverberant cues in
the recording space."

Kirk Bayne

A Dolby Surround (logo) marked CD that did _not_ use a Dolby Surround Encoder:

DELOS DE 3196 (1812 Overture)

From the enclosed booklet:
"Delos' Dolby Surround recordings are encoded naturally during the
basic recording session through the use of microphone techniques
that randomize stereo pickup of ambient and reverberant cues in
the recording space."

Kirk Bayne

But they were monitored with a professional Dolby Stereo Decoder to make sure the out of phase cues were appearing correctly in the surrounds and not overpowering the front channels. Dolby MP Matrix is a simple encoding system so natural encoding via mic setups can work quite well. That kind of natural encoding can't be done with PL-II, Circle Surround or any of the more complex matrix formats.

Did you visit Krazy Kat records, Ty?

No, not this time - I spent all my time with my dad doing what he wanted to do. But, since I'm going to be there a little longer when I go back out on the 14th, I plan on visiting Krazy Kat as well as the wonderful U-Fix It Corral that Goodwill has - I've found lots of quad there as well as MCA DiscoVision LaserDiscs and players. I got my Layfette SQ-W from the U-Fix It Corral for $2.50, still in the box w/instructions.

I have the highest admiration for you, it's not a whole barrel of laughs caring for one's relatives as they get older, especially after everything you've been through and it's harder still when it's our parents. I'll say a wee prayer for you & your Dad when I go to Mass on Sunday that you have good times hanging out together while you're there.

I have the highest admiration for you, it's not a whole barrel of laughs caring for one's relatives as they get older, especially after everything you've been through and it's harder still when it's our parents. I'll say a wee prayer for you & your Dad when I go to Mass on Sunday that you have good times hanging out together while you're there.

Wow, thank you. Your post really touched me. While flying back and forth can be tiring, at least the flight is only 90 minutes and dad loves having me out there - I probably will be moving out there in the spring since Tony and I are broken up - I'd move sooner but need to save money to have movers do everything and its also difficult contemplating the dissolution of an 18 year relationship - and kinda depressing because I highly doubt I'll ever find anyone to share my life with again. I have odd hobbies and am not the best looking person in the world, not to mention my own health problems. So, I think alone is how I'll spend the rest of my life - I'm not complaining, its just how things are. I've let Tony handle finances and everything for so long that Im totally frightened of doing it all on my own - like those women who have only always been housewifes and get divorced and now have no idea how everything works - that's me.

As for taking care of dad - its a privilege - he's done so much for me that I can never repay him and so he deserves the best care I can give and if his health declines (its fine now) he'll spend his time at home and not in some nursing home. I took care of my sister in home hospice when she got pancreatic cancer and so she got to die at home with all her family around her. she was happy.

Sorry to post such an off-topic and kinda depressing reply, but I just thought I'd lay out my situation, which isn't all bad. I still have my hobbies and my cats and, keeping my fingers crossed, a job that I think I would be perfect at doing - I can't say what it is right now since I've signed an NDA. I just hope the owners of the company want me because I have massive enthusiasm for their product and lots of ideas for it.

Some Of My Best Friends Are Singers - Ray Brown & Special Guests incl. Diana Krall, Kevin Mahogany, Etta Jones (TELARC Surround Sound CD).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 436
Telarc Surround Sounds

V/A Sampler plus numerous test tones and spatial cues (which I'm looking forward to playing and experimenting with to see just how well PLII steers these "Spatializer" surround sound CDs)..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 403
Back