Angel Quad Reel (SQ)?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boojidad

Found this on ebay today (http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEVERLY-SILLS-ANDRE-KOSTELANETZ-MUSIC-OF-VICTOR-HERBERT-REEL-TO-REEL-TAPE-7-/400518705285?pt=Music_Other_Formats&hash=item5d40c67085). Quad is not indicated anywhere on the label. Angel release, manufactured by Columbia. But it does have the circle Angel logo, and was released in SQ on vinyl. It is presumed that the 8-track and cassette releases have SQ encoding, although the consensus is that getting a good quad sound out of it is difficult at best (azimuth, etc). But if we presume for the 8-track & cassette, is it safe to presume for the reel as well?

Attachments

• Angel 1R1 6500 - small.jpg
    Angel 1R1 6500 - small.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 164
Yes. that double circle will tell you. Try it and see. Hope you like Opera!!

Angel has disgusting mess with marking their releases.
i have lots of LPs. some marked as SQ, some not but when passed through decoder, appear to be SQ encoded as well.
there was rumours that many of their recordings was encoded into quad "on the fly" during recording, thus seems like is
being single inventory quad stream only, with no stereo version at all.
also i heard that von Karajan in 70th performing for EMI recordings only on condition it would be quadraphonic. don't know
how true it is but giving his obsession with innovations in music world, i would rather believe that this pretty much true.

In this instance, you do have a true SQ quad recording. Most of the Angel/Seraphim quads were genuine, some were mislabeled quad when they were in fact stereo, and I've no doubt there are a handful that do not indicate quad but actually are. But since this is classical music, any separation is probably limited anyway, meaning that hearing it in quad is more an enhancement of stereo than anything discretely mixed in the way pop studio recordings are. But since the encoding was done on single-inventory titles, any tape configuration would also be quad, your needing only a good decoder to enjoy that sound.

ED :)

Back