Eric Clapton - new boxset with 74/74 quad mixes & Scheiner 461 Ocean Blvd. 5.1 mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sure it'll show up on Amazon UK soon enough - the US listing doesn't have product art or a description. The contents list comes from a leaked source on SH.tv and hasn't been confirmed by the record company yet. I suspect the price will come down a bit too once the contents are confirmed.

I've definitely never heard of a quad mix of EC Was Here before. I have a feeling that there are probably a lot of unreleased quad mixes from the dying years of quad (1975-1977) that we don't even know about. Obviously there's Mark Anderson's wonderful list of titles announced but never released, which holds a bunch of goodies. When Bob Vosgien, the guy who mastered the CTA Quadio release was posting here, he revealed a whole bunch of unreleased quad mixes that were in the Warner vaults, including:

Allman Brothers Band - Brothers and Sisters
Gentle Giant – Time To Kill
James Taylor - Sweet Baby James
Jethro Tull – MU Best Of
Jethro Tull – Minstrel In The Gallery
Yes - Close To The Edge

Maybe wishful thinking on my part, but I have a feeling that's just the tip of the iceberg too. Here's hoping that more of them find their way out, one way or another.

Can you imagine "Jessica" in Quad..?!? Actually all those you list steelydave are real desert island numbers for me! *sigh*

Its going to be an expensive few months!

and if only........Brothers & Sisters in surround would be great...

Naturally I pre-ordered! :eek:

Have to say, I am extreeeeeeeeeeemely excited about this one!! I already love the Guzauski mixed SACD of 461 OB, can you imagine an Elliot Scheiner mix!? WOW!! Plus prev. unreleased EC was Here in Quad!? Double WOW! PLUS 461 OB Quad (hopefully in a better transfer or better source than the DTS!?) PLUS Hi-Rez of one of my all-time favourite Quads (TOIEC)..!! ---and that's just the blu-ray..!!!

:51banana:

Never cared for the Guzauski mix at all, it seemed very conservative and a bit like a Guthrie-esque 'wide stereo', especially compared to the quad mix, which has some amazing moments like one drummer in the front speakers and one in the rear speakers on the double-drummer songs. I'm sure the Scheiner mix will be light years better.

It's a bit of a shame they aren't putting the stereo material on the Blu-Ray in high-res, but I guess you can't have everything.

The Amazon UK link you provided is for the import version, so it's very possible the price will go down when the UK domestic version is announced.

each to their own :) fidelity is the ultimate deal-breaker for me - the Quad 461 OB sounds horrible, whether the LP or on DTS - the SACD Surround mix sounds incredible, plus everything is "in there"
whereas stuff is dialled-down in the Quad mix or missing altogether.. oh and EC's vocals in the centre channel on the SACD = goosebump inducing, Scheiner's won't have that but it will be more playful and discrete in the rears. Cannot WAIT!!

ah yes, I missed that it's an import, well all will be revealed If/when there's any update on Amazon UK, I'm sure some helpful soul will report back here ;)

Considering it includes:
4 mixes including:
A unreleased Elliot mix (461) :banana:

Unreleased quad mix :banana:

Hi-rez of There's One in Every Crowd :banana:

I think I'll order it...

Thank you - you've put this in perspective for me.

I shouldn't think of this as one disc for $80 - it's 4 albums for $80. Would I be happy to pay $20 each for a DVD-A or SACD of these albums? You bet. Just paid roughly AUD25 to order Close To The Edge.

The Amazon.de deal works out best for me, so the order is in.

Shame with all the amazing stuff on the upcoming CD+Blu-ray of Close to the Edge that they couldn't do a flat transfer of the quad tape, wonder if they know it exists and whether or not they tried to include it?

I drooled on the 1975 Schwann record & tape catalog that included Yes - CTTE Q8. Was the existence of such a quad master confirmed somewhere?

Steelydave posted this in this thread just back up there <<

When Bob Vosgien, the guy who mastered the CTA Quadio release was posting here, he revealed a whole bunch of unreleased quad mixes that were in the Warner vaults, including:

Allman Brothers Band - Brothers and Sisters
Gentle Giant – Time To Kill
James Taylor - Sweet Baby James
Jethro Tull – MU Best Of
Jethro Tull – Minstrel In The Gallery
Yes - Close To The Edge

Maybe wishful thinking on my part, but I have a feeling that's just the tip of the iceberg too. Here's hoping that more of them find their way out, one way or another.

Shame with all the amazing stuff on the upcoming CD+Blu-ray of Close to the Edge that they couldn't do a flat transfer of the quad tape, wonder if they know it exists and whether or not they tried to include it?

totally agree (y) I think if Neil Wilkes was aware of the Quad mixes' existence he'd have included it or suggested inclusion in the set, though I could be wrong! I guess you'd have to ask him or hope he pops by here in a bit :eek:

Back