Eric Clapton - new boxset with 74/74 quad mixes & Scheiner 461 Ocean Blvd. 5.1 mix

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been waiting since March for a reply to my email (to not one but two different email accounts given on one of Universal's "News" sites in an article announcing their own new blu-ray audio format) regarding the possibility of 5.1 mixes on their upcoming "High Fidelity Pure Audio" Blu-ray discs.

in a way I've come to be thankful for tender mercies (such as the Elliot Scheiner "Layla" surround mix making it out of the vaults at all..!) in spite of Universal's general "ways".. 10 years is a long time to wait for "Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player" in surround sound but I haven't been holding my breath waiting, it's forced me to be more resourceful and seek out tons of new music & artists in surround, so in a bizarre way I'm almost thankful for their crashing ineptitude because there's been a heap of great surround stuff I've discovered in the absence of any/any more surround music by my favourite artists! :mad:@:

from Amazon:
The 5-CD/1 Blu-RayTM disc box set Eric Clapton - Give Me Strength: The 1974/1975 Recordings is beautifully housed in a 60-page book and captures a full year's worth of recordings, from April 1974 to June 1975. Featured are 88 remastered, remixed, rare unreleased and live recordings, including session outtakes, from his landmark studio albums 461 Ocean Boulevard and There's One In Every Crowd, and his legendary live album E.C. Was Here. Also included is a new 5.1 Surround Sound mix of 461 Ocean Boulevard and original quadrophonic mixes of two milestone releases. 461 Ocean Boulevard and There's One In Every Crowd.

Give Me Strength: The 1974/1975 Recordings features a wealth of unreleased recordings and material including:

A 60-page hardbound book with extensive liner notes and packed with rare photos and behind-the-scene images.
Rare, unreleased outtakes from 461 Ocean Boulevard and There's One In Every Crowd.
E.C. Was Here remixed and expanded features live tracks from Long Beach Arena (including unreleased versions of Crossroads, I Shot The Sheriff, Layla and Little Wing), the Hammersmith Odeon, Nassau Coliseum and Providence Civic Center.
The Freddie King Criteria Studio Sessions featuring the previously unreleased versions of 'Boogie Funk' and the full unreleased 22 minute version of 'Gambling Woman Blues.'
A Blu-Ray disc featuring a new 5.1 Surround Sound mix of 461 Ocean Boulevard and original quadrophonic mixes of 461 Ocean Boulevard and There's One In Every Crowd
Extensive Liner Notes by John Lynskey

From Second Disc
Disc 6: Blu-ray

• 461 Ocean Boulevard - 5.1 Surround Mix by Elliott Scheiner *
  • Ain’t That Lovin’ You- 5.1 Surround Mix by Elliott Scheiner *
  • Meet Me (Down At the Bottom)- 5.1 Surround Mix by Elliott Scheiner *
  • Lonesome Blues (Walkin’ Down the Road)- 5.1 Surround Mix by Elliott Scheiner *
  • 461 Ocean Boulevard - Quadraphonic Mix (released as RSO Records QD 4801, 1974)
  • There’s One in Every Crowd - Quadraphonic Mix (released as RSO Records QD 4806, 1975)

so definitively no EC Was Here Quad in this boxset.. :( it just got a little less interesting, though I'm still eagerly awaiting the Scheiner 461 5.1.

if there is a previously unreleased Quad mix of EC and it was planned to be in this set, what the hell are Universal playing at by not including it?!?

I suspect it was confusion over the new EC Was Here remix but anything is possible.

Did anyone have an inkling that EC Was Here may have been mixed in quad before being announced here? Maybe that was just a mistake rather than misinformation? Bloody annoying whatever the reason!

Did anyone have an inkling that EC Was Here may have been mixed in quad before being announced here? Maybe that was just a mistake rather than misinformation? Bloody annoying whatever the reason!

never heard of it before, it's probably a balls up on Universals' part. v.annoying though. I'll go digging with UMG when I get home.

To answer your first question, I don't think anyone had any idea that a quad EC was in existence.

This may not be over yet, there is so much conflicting info out there at this stage.

So the Blu Ray WILL include the 3 bonus tracks originally included on the SACD - in 5.1 by ES as well! Nice!

That's what kept me from buying. Cos I hate having many different versions of albums with different contents. But now that I know the bonus tracks will be there too, I think I'm getting that set.

I just had an e-mail newsletter from SpinCDs and the link to the box set. http://www.spincds.com/give-me-strength-the-74-75-recordings-5cd-1blu-ray-box

Track Listing posted is:

Disc 6: Blu-ray
461 Ocean Boulevard*- 5.1 Surround Mix by Elliott Scheiner *
Ain’t That Lovin’ You*- 5.1 Surround Mix by Elliott Scheiner *
Meet Me (Down At the Bottom)*- 5.1 Surround Mix by Elliott Scheiner *
Lonesome Blues (Walkin’ Down the Road)*- 5.1 Surround Mix by Elliott Scheiner *
461 Ocean Boulevard*- Quadraphonic Mix (released as RSO Records QD 4801, 1974)
There’s One in Every Crowd*- Quadraphonic Mix (released as RSO Records QD 4806, 1975)

So sadly it doesn't look like "E.C was here" made it. :howl

That tracklist looks very odd - disc 1 seems to have far too much on it.
Still keeping the order on though - worth it for the Scheiner 461.

Can this REALLY be the track listing for the Blu-ray in this set??

..if it is then its going to be one phenomenal disc for Quaddies..

WOW!!!! :yikes

DISC 6
01 Motherless Children (5.1 Surround Mix) 4:55
02 Give Me Strength (5.1 Surround Mix) 2:51
03 Willie And The Hand Jive (5.1 Surround Mix) 3:29
04 Get Ready (5.1 Surround Mix) 3:47
05 I Shot The Sheriff (5.1 Surround Mix) 4:24
06 I Can't Hold Out (5.1 Surround Mix) 4:11
07 Please Be With Me (5.1 Surround Mix) 3:26
08 Let It Grow (5.1 Surround Mix) 4:56
09 Steady Rollin' Man (5.1 Surround Mix) 3:11
10 Mainline Florida (5.1 Surround Mix) 4:04
11 Ain't That Lovin You (5.1 Surround Mix) 5:26
12 Meet Me (Down At The Bottom) (5.1 Surround Mix) 7:04
13 Lonesone Road Blues (Walkin’ Down The Road) (Studio Outtake / 5.1 Surround Mix) 5:15
14 Getting Acquainted (5.1 Surround Mix) 6:27
15 Getting Acquainted 2 (Too Late) (5.1 Surround Mix) 4:19
16 Eric After Hours Blues (5.1 Surround Mix) 4:20
17 Please Be With Me (Acoustic / 5.1 Surround Mix) 3:25
18 Give Me Strength (Dobro 1) (5.1 Surround Mix) 3:29
19 Motherless Children (Original Quadrophonic Mix) 4:55
20 Give Me Strength (Original Quadrophonic Mix) 2:51
21 Willie And The Hand Jive (Original Quadrophonic Mix) 3:29
22 Get Ready (Original Quadrophonic Mix) 3:47
23 I Shot The Sheriff (Original Quadrophonic Mix) 4:24
24 I Can't Hold Out (Original Quadrophonic Mix) 4:11
25 Please Be With Me (Original Quadrophonic Mix) 3:26
26 Let It Grow (Original Quadrophonic Mix) 0:56
27 Steady Rollin' Man (Original Quadrophonic Mix) 3:11
28 Mainline Florida (Original Quadrophonic Mix) 4:04
29 Ain't That Lovin You (Original Quadrophonic Mix) 5:26
30 Meet Me (Down At The Bottom) (Original Quadrophonic Mix) 7:04
31 Lonesone Road Blues (Studio Outtake / Original Quadrophonic Mix) 5:15
32 Getting Acquainted (Original Quadrophonic Mix) 6:27
33 Getting Acquainted 2 (Too Late) (Original Quadrophonic Mix) 4:19
34 Eric After Hours Blues (Original Quadrophonic Mix) 4:20
35 Please Be With Me (Acoustic / Original Quadrophonic Mix) 3:25
36 Give Me Strength (Dobro 1) (Original Quadrophonic Mix) 3:29
37 We've Been Told (Jesus Is Coming Soon) (Original Quadrophonic Mix) 4:25
38 Swing Low Sweet Chariot (Original Quadrophonic Mix) 3:30
39 Little Rachel (Original Quadrophonic Mix) 4:05
40 Don't Blame Me (Original Quadrophonic Mix) 3:34
41 The Sky Is Crying (Original Quadrophonic Mix) 3:58
42 Singin' The Blues (Original Quadrophonic Mix) 3:16
43 Better Make It Through Today (Original Quadrophonic Mix) 4:07
44 Pretty Blue Eyes (Original Quadrophonic Mix) 4:45
45 High (Original Quadrophonic Mix) 3:24
46 Opposites (Original Quadrophonic Mix) 4:45
47 Burial (Original Quadrophonic Mix) 4:02
48 Whatcha Gonna Do (Original Quadrophonic Mix) 2:44
49 I Found A Love (Original Quadrophonic Mix) 3:38
50 (When Things Go Wrong) It Hurts Me Too (Original Quadrophonic Mix) 5:34
51 Fools Like Me (Original Quadrophonic Mix) 5:09
52 Knockin' On Heaven's Door (Original Quadrophonic Mix) 4:23
53 Someone Like You (Original Quadrophonic Mix) 4:30
54 Smile (Live At Long Beach Arena, California / 1974 / Original Quadrophonic Mix) 3:35
55 Have You Ever Loved A Woman (Live At Long Beach Arena, California / 1974 / Original Quadrophonic Mix) 7:41
56 Presence Of The Lord (Live At Long Beach Arena, California / 1974 / Original Quadrophonic Mix) 8:48
57 Crossroads (Live At Long Beach Arena, California / 1974 / Original Quadrophonic Mix) 4:39
58 I Shot The Sheriff (Live At Long Beach Arena, California / 1974 / Original Quadrophonic Mix) 7:35
59 Layla (Live At Long Beach Arena, California / 1974 / Original Quadrophonic Mix) 6:00
60 Little Wing (Live At Long Beach Arena, California / 1974 / Original Quadrophonic Mix) 8:57
61 Can't Find My Way Home (Live At Long Beach Arena, California / 1974 / Original Quadrophonic Mix) 5:19
62 Driftin' Blues / Ramblin' On My Mind (Live At Long Beach Arena, California / 1974 / Original Quadrophonic Mix) 11:36
63 Ramblin' On My Mind / Have You Ever Loved A WomanUpdate (Live At Hammersmith Odeon, London / 1974 / Original Quadrophonic Mix) 8:15
64 Willie And The Hand Jive / Get Ready (Live At Long Beach Arena, California / 1974 / Original Quadrophonic Mix) 11:42
65 The Sky Is Crying / Have You Ever Loved A Woman / Rambling On My Mind (Live At Hammersmith Odeon, London / 1974 / Original Quadrophonic Mix) 7:23
66 Badge (Live At Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, New York / 1975 / Original Quadrophonic Mix) 10:43
67 Driftin' Blues (Live At Providence Civic Center, Providence, Rhode Island / 1975 / Original Quadrophonic Mix) 6:55
68 Eyesight To The Blind / Why Does Love Got To Be So SadUpdate (Live At Providence Civic Center, Providence, Rhode Island / 1975 / Original Quadrophonic Mix) 23:47
69 Further On Up The Road (Live At Nassau Coliseum, Uniondale, New York / 1975 / Original Quadrophonic Mix) 7:35

If so, this will be my reaction:

Jizz-in-my-pants.gif

It seems unlikely there'd be quad mixes of the outtakes.

highly unlikely, yes.. but what a strange thing for Universal to put on their own site.. plus the tracklist is not a straight carbon copy of all the other tracks on every one of the other 5 discs, it omits the Freddie King sessions from the blu-ray for example.

Back