HiRez Poll Dream Theater - DREAM THEATER [DVD-A]

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rate the DVD-A of Dream Theater - DREAM THEATER

• 5:

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4:

• 3:

• 2:

• 1: Poor Surround, Poor Fidelity, Poor Content

• Total voters
Wow - what an incredible mix this is! Seems extra special as it came pretty much out of the blue for me. Because of the playback issues I had to rip it to 24/96 flac but it streams perfectly and is, imho absolutely jaw dropping. Superb audio quality and the mix is fully discrete and superbly well done. The drums in particular are very well recorded and positioned with loads of dynamics - like the best of Gavin Harrison on the top Porcs mixes, but even more powerful. Have to agree with other posts - it's how Rush should have been mixed.

exactly how i feel about this disc! i love it start to finish...and love it more each time i listen. jaw dropping and powerful are perfect words here...

thanks all for the mention on Systematic Chaos...good to know i can cross that off my list.

exactly how i feel about this disc! i love it start to finish...and love it more each time i listen. jaw dropping and powerful are perfect words here...

In my dreams they would go back and re-mix "Black Clouds and Silver Linings" like this. Just imagine what "The Count of Tuscany" could sound like :yikes

I really like this one (gave it a 9) but felt that the kickdrum drowned a bit in the mix, so when I read about the inverted channels on the Opeth disc I tried if inverting the lfe channel would improve things and it works for me, it's a 10 now.

It's hard to believe that this was mixed by the same person who mixed the Rush DVD-A surround mixes; this is so far superior and totally enjoyable! This is the kind of prog rock I love... it instantly grabbed me on the first listen, no "getting used to it" or forcing another listen to see if it gets better... just great rock begging me to listen again... and again. I'm sure Rush has influenced every Prog rock band to come after them, and there's ample evidence here. I love the sound of the recording, too... especially the drums, which are really prominent (and reminding me a lot of Neil!). The surround channels are used extensively, often just to fill the room, but there is plenty of discrete sound coming out, too, and many flourishes of active movement around the room as well... some really cool and exciting moments! This is an outstanding disc and I've been going back and forth between 9 & 10... so far I've listened to this album 5 times today, twice in stereo to and from work, and three times in surround... and I STILL want to hear it again, so 10!

Damn skherbeck, you made me re-listen to this today and I almost want to give it a 10 because of the great deep bass, but it is a bit loud and while the surround is pretty decent, it isn't quite mind-meltingly good. I do think this has some of the best metal-to-surround music ever though. Wonder why there's not much hard-core metal available in really good surround?

Damn skherbeck, you made me re-listen to this today and I almost want to give it a 10 because of the great deep bass, but it is a bit loud and while the surround is pretty decent, it isn't quite mind-meltingly good. I do think this has some of the best metal-to-surround music ever though. Wonder why there's not much hard-core metal available in really good surround?

Pure speculation, but my guess is that metal, as a general rule, doesn't play to the general "surround-listening" demographic, who tend toward bands from the 60s, 70s, and 80s. And while certain metal bands such as Katatonia do have a strong reputation here, they don't garner near as much discussion or poll activity as the pop, prog, rock groups from those aforementioned years.

Also, despite the recent and relatively large growth of vinyl, most people still prefer the convenience of spotify and streaming; which surround is far from convenient. It tends to be quite expensive. I'd imagine the general "metal-head" demographic also probably doesn't a.) know about surround, b.) care to engage in it once they see the price of a decent home setup.

I will say, Between the Buried and Me have a very good under-the-radar 5.1 mix, still available quite cheap. Also, Refused Shape of Punk to Come. Both very underrated on this forum.

I think there is a thread on QQ about metal surround albums.
Off the top of my head there is: Iron Maiden, Bruce Dickinson, Mudvayne, Motorhead, Metallica and Megadeth. Of those, I'd say Metallica and Mudvayne are mixed the best. Plus "Tears of the Dragon" is worth the price of admission on the Dickinson album.

There are also two metal tracks on my album Disturbing the Universe - alternate versions of the song "Bleed," one with screaming and one without. (In the bonus tracks section).
Mixing metal is tough, particularly if it is drums, bass, guitar and vocal only. That is why I made sure to arrange plenty of keys on Bleed and spread the drums around.

A hard rocking, deep bass spectacular in surround!!

Er..who mixed this?

Mr R. Chycki that's who.

A vast improvement on his recent effort, I wonder where and why, it went so wrong for him?

This is good folks
My head is nodding along (always a good sign)
Strange how it leaps straight into play me mode.

A well deserved 9

I finally acquired this “grail” for me disc and I’m going 9 all the way, only took off 1 point because there is no menu which could have been authored into this easily enough. Otherwise fantastic sonics, quality and overall mix really opens up with discrete instruments in all speakers and good solid bass. Rich Chycki did a tremendous job with this.

Back