DTS-CD's. What's your latest?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ohio Players-Fire

001.JPG

The Walls Came Down - Collin Raye (DTS CD).

Grabbing a free minute, quickly popped this one on.. hmm.. there seem to be occasional little discrete things in the rear (tambourine, the odd BV.. electric guitar crunches on the title track) but for the most part it's big stereo and not too immersive at that as the rears are lower in level and fairly reverb-heavy.

5.1 by Kevin Beamish, who apparently did the DTS cd of Reba McEntire, I don't recall that mix being as tame as this one..

it's a nice enough album, I'd describe as contemporary country with a religious bent.. pleasant enough voice though nothing remarkable about it.. usual 'modern' country sound quality = i.e. a bit bright and clinical, there's not a lot of low-to-mid warmth..

I'd long wondered about how this one sounded in surround, though I could never find any feedback on it, so I just thought sod it I'll be the guinea pig.. I guess the truth of the matter is some of these surround things from back in the early days of 5.1 music (this came out in '98) are under the radar not just because relatively few people are probably aware of them in the first place but because the few that did try them thought it kinder to say nothing when they turned out to be pretty poor... Oh well, at least I won't die wondering! :D

My brother just gave me WSS/Dave Grusin, for my new Acura TLX/Tech
Excellent 5.1 mix, & interesting covers; good choice!

good, not great; MC SACD is light year's better overall dynamic range, etc.
The DTS CD is good for my Acura ELS, because the MC SACD's play in 2 ch faux surround

Back