DTS-CD's. What's your latest?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just picked up this little lot for no more than £5 each!

Mavericks - Trampoline
View attachment 11523

Ohio Players - Honey and Fire
View attachment 11524

Studio Voodoo - Club Voodoo
View attachment 11525

Brian Wilson - Imagination
View attachment 11526

Been a long time since I played some of these but from memory the two Ohio Players are great ol' Quad mixes with superb fidelity and the Mavericks has a nice enough 5.1 mix but a bit of a "meh" album.. the Studio Voodoo's I only got very recently have pretty cool mixes of absolutely terrible 3rd rate (and that's being kind) examples of the genre.. I never bought the Brian Wilson (no idea why it slipped through the cracks) but recent feedback and reappraisal's on here haven't encouraged me to finally hunker down the cash to get it at last.. :eek:

thinking about it, pretty much all the Quad to DTS HDS discs are worth getting Rob if you don't have them already, my personal faves are Poco's "Crazy Eyes", Stephen Stills' "Stills", Clapton's "TOIEC" & Edgar Winter's "Jasmine Nightdreams".. the latter of which is gobsmackingly good I'm surprised it doesn't get talked about more on here.

oh and the Mystic Moods Orchestra DTS HDS discs are fun too, with great sound quality and nice surround mixes, even if they are a bit of an acquired taste (and very much "of their time").. of the half dozen or so that made it out back in the day my faves are "Bright Side Of The Moon", "Cosmic Force" and "Erogenous".

Been a long time since I played some of these but from memory the two Ohio Players are great ol' Quad mixes with superb fidelity and the Mavericks has a nice enough 5.1 mix but a bit of a "meh" album.. the Studio Voodoo's I only got very recently have pretty cool mixes of absolutely terrible 3rd rate (and that's being kind) examples of the genre.. I never bought the Brian Wilson (no idea why it slipped through the cracks) but recent feedback and reappraisal's on here haven't encouraged me to finally hunker down the cash to get it at last.. :eek: pretty much all the Quad to DTS HDS discs are worth getting Rob if you don't have them already, my personal faves are Poco's "Crazy Eyes", Stephen Stills' "Stills", Clapton's "TOIEC" & Edgar Winter "Jasmine Nightdreams".. the latter of which is gobsmackingly good I'm surprised it doesn't get talked about more on here.

Yeah, Studio Voodoo is a bit... different ;) The Mavericks was a freebie for me, but glad to be able to give it a try. The Ohio Players albums are very good indeed. As for Brian Wilson, I just couldn't get excited about it at all, both from a content and mix point of view. Get it if you like his stuff, and if you can find it cheap. But don't expend too much energy on it ;)

I'm still looking out for DTS-CD bargains so thanks for the heads up :)

I just got the BT Monster soundtrack - I got it from Amazon UK for 1 pound 50 with 3 pounds shipping. Its a great DTS CD and DVD set - and the surround is awesome.

Glad you got hold of a copy and that you enjoyed it as much as I did :) Technically not a DTS-CD as the CD is regular Red Book and the DVD has the DTS 5.1 mix on it, but hey, who's countin' ;)

I really liked the "Brian Wilson" album (with "Love and Mercy" on it) but I'll probably end up getting the "Imagination" disc just to have it.. a bit mad but it's perpetually cheap so.. :eek:

I can't have many more than about half a dozen non-Classical DTS CDs to get now before I have the lot.. though I'm really not fussed to own the two Olivia Newton-John DTS titles (different albums by her maybe), one of the Vince Gill's I have on DVD-A (High Lonesome Sounds excellent btw) and the Xmas album of Vince G's I can live without in any form, DTS or otherwise.. then there's the 2 Azur Y Sol's (or whatever they're called), at this point Alan Parsons' "On Air" is the only DTS CD I regret not getting back when these things could hardly be given away (which wasn't that long ago for many of the DTS titles).

More DTS CDs (some out there at bargain prices) I'd recommend..

Sol To Soul - Freddie Ravel,
Joshua Judges Ruth - Lyle Lovett,
Growing Pains - Billie Myers,
It's Not About Me - Jon Mykal,
II - Boyz II Men,
If You See Him - Reba McEntire,
American Landscape - David Benoit,
Two For The Road - Dave Grusin,
Passion Dance - Herb Alpert,
The End Of Innocence - Don Henley,
Capricornia - Midnight Oil,
The 3 Sting albums (Nothing Like The Sun, Brand New Day, Ten Summoner's Tales),
Where Your Road Leads - Trisha Yearwood.

I don't want to come across as a pedantic PITA moany bitch and it's hardly a life and death thing (though I have raised it elsewhere on QQ in the past with no response.. so maybe I should just let it go!) I don't know how some members can say they have 100+ DTS CDs? I didn't think there were that many titles ever made in the first place!?

Well I have over 100 (111 actually) albeit 30 are Pete Namlook CD/DTS-CD combo's.

nice one! (y) :) that's including Classical titles right?

I'm aware of the Namlook's (RIP) though I don't have any (yet).. I think you may be the exception that does actually have 100+ (and in turn just about everything ever produced on the format to date).. but for others I'm not so sure, I mean one guy on here said he had 152.. that can't be right, can it?

I can't compete here, only 20, but I will claim to have one of the largest collections of CD+Graphics titles (Warner, non-karaoke) which stands 48. I know of one other person that can compete. These were released around 1989 and could be played on a Philips CD player, the ill fated CD-Interactive players and a Sega game machine. I've cataloged all the info I can find on them at www.cdplusg.com.

My coolest finds on that quest were some that existed in a university library that I was able to get a student to check out so I could get a look at them (yes, I did return them!), and one (that my friend got, not I) that popped up on eBay in a shrink-wrapped long box after 20 years of us not being able to actually confirm it had been released other than some references in a magazine article.

Sorry, not related to surround, but to the topic of biggest collections of rare CD thingies.

I just got the BT Monster soundtrack - I got it from Amazon UK for 1 pound 50 with 3 pounds shipping. Its a great DTS CD and DVD set - and the surround is awesome.

Thanks for letting me know that existed!

Been a long time since I played some of these but from memory the two Ohio Players are great ol' Quad mixes with superb fidelity and the Mavericks has a nice enough 5.1 mix but a bit of a "meh" album.. the Studio Voodoo's I only got very recently have pretty cool mixes of absolutely terrible 3rd rate (and that's being kind) examples of the genre.. I never bought the Brian Wilson (no idea why it slipped through the cracks) but recent feedback and reappraisal's on here haven't encouraged me to finally hunker down the cash to get it at last.. :eek:

thinking about it, pretty much all the Quad to DTS HDS discs are worth getting Rob if you don't have them already, my personal faves are Poco's "Crazy Eyes", Stephen Stills' "Stills", Clapton's "TOIEC" & Edgar Winter's "Jasmine Nightdreams".. the latter of which is gobsmackingly good I'm surprised it doesn't get talked about more on here.

The Ohio playes DTS disc are sublime. EXCELLENT mastering. Great sounding mixes. Shows how drums should be mixed in surround!

Thanks for letting me know that existed!

Check eBay for keenly priced, new and sealed copies for single figures.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-Music-...?pt=UK_CDsDVDs_CDs_CDs_GL&hash=item564aff58a8

The Ohio playes DTS disc are sublime. EXCELLENT mastering. Great sounding mixes. Shows how drums should be mixed in surround!

They are incredibly good, that's for sure. I only have 'Fire' and 'Honey'. Were there any others produced in DTS-CD format, I wonder?

Back