DTS-CD's. What's your latest?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't compete here, only 20, but I will claim to have one of the largest collections of CD+Graphics titles (Warner, non-karaoke) which stands 48. I know of one other person that can compete. These were released around 1989 and could be played on a Philips CD player, the ill fated CD-Interactive players and a Sega game machine. I've cataloged all the info I can find on them at www.cdplusg.com.

My coolest finds on that quest were some that existed in a university library that I was able to get a student to check out so I could get a look at them (yes, I did return them!), and one (that my friend got, not I) that popped up on eBay in a shrink-wrapped long box after 20 years of us not being able to actually confirm it had been released other than some references in a magazine article.

Sorry, not related to surround, but to the topic of biggest collections of rare CD thingies.

That's very impressive! They're pretty obscure and I reckon a lot of folks don't even know they've got them or what to do with them!

I certainly can't compete with your CD+G collecting! I only have one! Anita Baker's Rapture.., and I'm not even sure it is the right pressing as I've never tried it in my karaoke player and I believe the German Warner reissue has the CD+G label on the disc but doesn't actually have the graphics, it just re-used the old silk screen of the first CD pressing!? but I'm sure you know more about it than I do! :eek:

Check eBay for keenly priced, new and sealed copies for single figures.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT-Music-...?pt=UK_CDsDVDs_CDs_CDs_GL&hash=item564aff58a8

They are incredibly good, that's for sure. I only have 'Fire' and 'Honey'. Were there any others produced in DTS-CD format, I wonder?

there've been persistent rumours of Quad mixes of other Ohio Players albums (including the amazing "Skin Tight"!) but it seems they're only that - rumours - as the Q8 carts never appeared back in the day and Mercury/Westbound never released Quad vinyl, so vapourware that they be! :p

I actually have a couple copies of the Rapture CD+G, one is botched, the graphics are truncated or don't line up with the song just right and one I think like you said that is labeled but doesn't have the graphics, but I did finally find a good one. It was a lot of fun getting the collection together, but I'm sure I annoyed the heck out of a bunch of eBay and Amazon.com sellers asking them to check hub markings, etc.

It is very frustrating knowing that some of the really rare ones are likely sitting around on someones shelf and they have no idea that they have them. I actually accidentally gave away a CD+G Talking Heads Naked when I got the brick box set (for all the 5.1 mixes) and was tossing duplicate CDs. Forgot it was the CD+G version. But, I tracked one down in a used CD shop last weekend, some aren't that rare.

The weirdest thing in the whole CD+G world to me is the 3" Prince Batman promo disc that has the graphics for Alphaville's The Breathtaking Blue running behind part of one of the tracks. The fact that someone found that, let alone that it happened is incredible.

Good point. Forgot about those. Have 22 classical titles. Some French DTS International. So that's 133 in total. 152 wouldn't be out of the question. Would like to get my hands on those Azul Negro's. Did not know Pete Namlook died. RIP in an ambient universe. Thanks for your anal :eek: investigations and interest Freddie.
nice one! (y) :) that's including Classical titles right?

I'm aware of the Namlook's (RIP) though I don't have any (yet).. I think you may be the exception that does actually have 100+ (and in turn just about everything ever produced on the format to date).. but for others I'm not so sure, I mean one guy on here said he had 152.. that can't be right, can it?

Last edited:
They're fun! Do you have the last Dark Side? I've heard it was quite good but is quite unobtainable now.
If you mean "Dark Side of the Moog XI", yes. Only missing one of the early ones Namlook XII Move D - Space & Time PK 08/176 and maybe 5 of the latest ones.
Some of these have serious deep bass and sound pretty active especially using DTS+NEO6 (7.1 Denon) . I prefer my ambient lower res surround stuff ie: DTS/Dolby thru NEO6 or EX on a 6 or 7.1 ch system. Great separation between sides and rears on some tracks and while not ambient in style, the Paul Mac Venus & Mars/ BotR. Rockshow (worst ) and most others decode so-so but there lies some excellent vocal isolation between the rears and sides with these two albums not to mention the fronts on 4 or 5 tracks. From memory "Mamunia" is spooky good. They really are the best examples for discrete 5.1 + matrixed rears listening. Better effects (rear as opposed to side action) than any other fully discrete 7.1 Blu-ray or DTS-ES DVD disc I have heard yet. Derived 7/6.1 can be the ultimate surround experience when the planets align.:smokin Admittedly there ain't many.

Last edited:
Nakai, Fourth World..DTS surround. New Age Native American Flute with full orchestral accompaniment. outstanding. Great use of surround..Lots of base ...But I do admit that I really like this music...It may not be for everyone but I guarantee you it's worth a listen. Anyone else have this DTS?
Earlier this month I picked up Wind and wuthering Genesis and it is really good too.
Cheers

Hell Freezes Over - The Eagles (DTS CD 71021-51006-2-3),
Candyman - Steve Lukather (DTS CD 69286-01093-2-2).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 331
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 326
I finally found my copy of the DTS CD of Holst The Planets, the early 70’s version and also the double disc DTS of AIDA, which is thankfully the full version and not the "excerpts" version that was also released as an SQ LP. Both discs got lost when I rearranged my home theater. I'm so glad to have them back!

One thing I'd like to know - on these late Angel/EMi DTS CD's, what kind of remixng was done? I don't have the SQ LP's to compare - are they the Brad Miller type 5.1 or really remixed for 5.1?

Hell Freezes Over - The Eagles (DTS CD 71021-51006-2-3),
Candyman - Steve Lukather (DTS CD 69286-01093-2-2).

Does any DTS Release have more remixes than Hell Freezes Over? There's the DTS CD mix, the DTS DVD sampler mix, the DTS LaserDisc mix and the DTS DVD mix - plus the 2 channel PCM DVD mix and the 2 channel FM analog LaserDisc mix. All are different in various ways - mostly very minor, but good god, why?

Does any DTS Release have more remixes than Hell Freezes Over? There's the DTS CD mix, the DTS DVD sampler mix, the DTS LaserDisc mix and the DTS DVD mix - plus the 2 channel PCM DVD mix and the 2 channel FM analog LaserDisc mix. All are different in various ways - mostly very minor, but good god, why?

Elliot Scheiner had to do something since Universal wouldn't let him remix all those Steely Dan records into 5.1.. ;) :mad:@:

I finally found my copy of the DTS CD of Holst The Planets, the early 70’s version and also the double disc DTS of AIDA, which is thankfully the full version and not the "excerpts" version that was also released as an SQ LP. Both discs got lost when I rearranged my home theater. I'm so glad to have them back!

One thing I'd like to know - on these late Angel/EMi DTS CD's, what kind of remixng was done? I don't have the SQ LP's to compare - are they the Brad Miller type 5.1 or really remixed for 5.1?

Is Aida not 3 discs? (with a 100-page libretto no less!) just going on how 5.1 Marketing describe it :eek:

I don't own either of them but (from memory) a DTS rip I have/had of the Holst DTS disc, I'm pretty sure that its Quad/4.0 + faked centre and LFE. I'll have a rummage and check.

Is Aida not 3 discs? (with a 100-page libretto no less!) just going on how 5.1 Marketing describe it :eek:

I don't own either of them but (from memory) a DTS rip I have/had of the Holst DTS disc, I'm pretty sure that its Quad/4.0 + faked centre and LFE. I'll have a rummage and check.

You are correct, its 3 discs - I don't know why I wrote 2 discs.... I'm an idiot.

You are correct, its 3 discs - I don't know why I wrote 2 discs.... I'm an idiot.

You're not an idiot! You're wonderful! I've loved reading your many amazing posts over the years on here! Your knowledge is exceptional! -- and you're a hardcore laserdisc man without compare! What's not to love about all that!? :)

Four Seasons Of Love: Summer Passion - London Symphony Orchestra/London Philharmonic (DTS CD 000000)

Catalogue Number 000000..?? Does that make it the first DTS CD? Or the last! :eek:

Its got a (C)1999 date on it so it can't be.. what a curious thing!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 300
Four Seasons Of Love: Summer Passion - London Symphony Orchestra/London Philharmonic (DTS CD 000000)

Catalogue Number 000000..?? Does that make it the first DTS CD? Or the last! :eek:

Its got a (C)1999 date on it so it can't be.. what a curious thing!

Regardless of catalog number, probably Band On The Run was the first retail DTS CD - it was certainly demoed enough in the year or so before the public release. I also have an Ambisonic G-Format DTS CD by Jeff Silberman that was made as a demo in 1996, but as far as I know it never had a retail release. I got my DTS CD's in batches of 5-10 at a time from DTS, since I was working for them then, so I don't know the actual release order.

Back