DTS-CD's. What's your latest?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regardless of catalog number, probably Band On The Run was the first retail DTS CD - it was certainly demoed enough in the year or so before the public release. I also have an Ambisonic G-Format DTS CD by Jeff Silberman that was made as a demo in 1996, but as far as I know it never had a retail release. I got my DTS CD's in batches of 5-10 at a time from DTS, since I was working for them then, so I don't know the actual release order.

You must have all the DTS CDs ever made! Did you stay with DTS til the end of their DTS/DVD-A releases, or beyond that?

You must have all the DTS CDs ever made! Did you stay with DTS til the end of their DTS/DVD-A releases, or beyond that?

No, I left in 1997 but kept in touch with Karen Hultgren (my boss on the cinema side) and she kept sending me discs and DVD demo's, like the first DTS DVD demo that was encoded on the PCM tracks. Brad Miller also kept sending me CD's until he went to his reward and his wife sent me Abraxis. Brad also sent me the Millennium 2.4.5. DTS decoder and later the PIC IC upgrade to make it decode DTS DVD's. MSB made the Millennium for Brad and Mark S. Brasfield told me he put some of his best work into it. He also designed and built the Runco LD players and came up with the AC-3 output for LaserDisc players and its coding under contract to Pioneer and Dolby - through him is how I ended up with one of the 3 prototype AC-3 players made - he left the company he founded in 1997 and MSB is now a super expensive product mod company that sells nonsense technology for outrageous prices - like their $27,000 version of the Oppo BD/DVD-A player.

Anyway, I probably have 50 DTS CD's, but not all of them - I don't even know how many were released - and some, like the Titanic soundtrack, should never have been released since its surround mix is so poor. Oh, in 2003 or so, Karen did send me the DVD-Audio version of Vince Gill's wonderful High Lonesome Sound, which I already had on DTS CD, and I was also sent the original, awful mix of Queen ANATO and then a bit later the brilliant Brian May version. Oh, I was also sent the fixed version of Band On The Run.

one album DTS-E was trying to get the rights to for a DTS CD surround release was the soundtrack to Evita, but it never happened. I still have all the catalogs and brochures as well as Brad Millers original press releases - those might make a nice addition to my LaserVision Landmarks website since CD's are a direct outgrowth of LaserDisc. I wish I could find the original DTS demo LaserDisc that had excerpts of Casper, Jurassic Park and Apollo 13 plus the Bill Neighbors intro film. I've never known anyone who owns it or seen it on eBay.

wow, I tend to forget where/when I got all my DTS CD's and such. I just wish I had some of the BD and HD-DVD demo's - I don't have any. Roger Dressler, when he was with Dolby, sent me their Demo DVD's, which are cool, but again, I have none of dolby's BD or HD-DVD demo's.

Four Seasons Of Love: Summer Passion - London Symphony Orchestra/London Philharmonic (DTS CD 000000)

Catalogue Number 000000..?? Does that make it the first DTS CD? Or the last! :eek:

Its got a (C)1999 date on it so it can't be.. what a curious thing!

Obviously the 1st! The last would be a number. 0 is nothing.

image.jpgOn Air - Alan Parsons (HDS 710215-4414-2-9)

I just got Wings Venus and Mars in the DVD-Audio case - for some reason I missed being sent that album by DTS so I only ever had a rip of it, but a seller on Amazon in the Used section had a still sealed copy for $15.99 which I think was a good price for that disc - and I was thrilled to get the faux DVD-A edition. I really like the DVD-A jewel boxes.

and Fredblue, that Alan Parsons On air album is just wonderful - great mix and sound and wonderful music. Although DTS packaging is a bit misleading calling it 20 bit when it is nowhere near 20-bit - it was recorded digitally in 16-bit/44.1kHz - Parsons did a 4 channel mix and like other HDS releases, DTS demanded a 5.1 release, but I've never been quite clear if DTS added the CF and Sub themselves, or if Parsons complied and remixed it to 5.1 or cooperated a bit with DTS to make it 5.1. I seem to recall an email from Roger Dressler that you could turn off the CF and LFE to have the full quad mix like the early quad stuff Brad miller released.

i wish HDCD had been used on DTS CD's like Pacific Microsonics and DTS had planned to do - most DTS and HCDC equipped receivers can decode both at the same time. Although not marked as such, the UV22 process was used on the multichannel digital surround master used to make the DTS CD of the Titanic soundtrack. Its just a shame the surround mix is so bad. Does anyone know if the SACD surround mix is the same as the DTS CD release?

I just got Wings Venus and Mars in the DVD-Audio case - for some reason I missed being sent that album by DTS so I only ever had a rip of it, but a seller on Amazon in the Used section had a still sealed copy for $15.99 which I think was a good price for that disc - and I was thrilled to get the faux DVD-A edition. I really like the DVD-A jewel boxes.

and Fredblue, that Alan Parsons On air album is just wonderful - great mix and sound and wonderful music. Although DTS packaging is a bit misleading calling it 20 bit when it is nowhere near 20-bit - it was recorded digitally in 16-bit/44.1kHz - Parsons did a 4 channel mix and like other HDS releases, DTS demanded a 5.1 release, but I've never been quite clear if DTS added the CF and Sub themselves, or if Parsons complied and remixed it to 5.1 or cooperated a bit with DTS to make it 5.1. I seem to recall an email from Roger Dressler that you could turn off the CF and LFE to have the full quad mix like the early quad stuff Brad miller released.

i wish HDCD had been used on DTS CD's like Pacific Microsonics and DTS had planned to do - most DTS and HCDC equipped receivers can decode both at the same time. Although not marked as such, the UV22 process was used on the multichannel digital surround master used to make the DTS CD of the Titanic soundtrack. Its just a shame the surround mix is so bad. Does anyone know if the SACD surround mix is the same as the DTS CD release?

I've got such a soft spot for Venus & Mars.. the DTS CD is not great though is it (I believe Kap'n QQ has said it pales in comparison to the old Q8?) ..in the mix and fidelity departments its kinda goofy!

I put off getting the On Air DTS for years (it was pretty easy to get for ok money and I wasn't too fussed about the album itself I'd much rather have had any APP stuff in surround instead!) but by the time I "wanted" it, it had become pricier (blah blah same old story!) anyhoo, finally got it new/sealed for a good price the other week, so its good to own it at last. fascinating to hear about the background behind the scenes info, thank you Ty!

I don't know about the DTS Titanic but the SACD is pretty bad!

Tchaikovsky's 6th Symphony in B Minor, Op.74 (DTS CD 71021-51034-2-6)

OOOOHHHH..!!!! The force is strong with this one!!!!

I don't think I've ever heard (or felt) quite so much BASS from a vintage Quad, no matter the genre/repertoire..!!!!! Crikey!!!

After one listen through to this DTS disc, it sounds absolutely wonderful (I mean seriously good!) and a bit more aggressive in the rears than the Pentatone RQR's I was listening to the other day.

Edgar Winter - Jasmine Nightdreams
very discreet mix; thanks again for pointing me in this direction, fredblue!

I didn't know this came out in DTS CD. I picked up the DVDA version of this Gill classic recently and really like it. Nice variety of tunes and excellent musicianship. Pretty good overall surround mix

I didn't know this came out in DTS CD. I picked up the DVDA version of this Gill classic recently and really like it. Nice variety of tunes and excellent musicianship. Pretty good overall surround mix

yeah its one of those Universal label surround mixes that first came out on
DTS CD, then SACD, then DVD-A.

(BD-A to follow soon for some of them, I bet!)

off the top of my head, these all came out on DTS, SACD & DVD-A:

Gaucho - Steely Dan,
Forever Yours/Marvin Gaye Collection - Marvin Gaye,
Brand New Day - Sting,
Love Scenes - Diana Krall,
The Globe Sessions - Sheryl Crow

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 327
Back