DTS-CD's. What's your latest?

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very cool. Thanks for the update. Come to think of it I did have previous DTS version of Marvin Gaye, Sting, and Crow. Fun to hear the changes is sound moving from lossy to lossless!

Funny, I just picked up the Brand New Day (DVD-Audio) as I had the dts and SACD already.

Weird things going on with The End of the Game.

The normal CD and SACD have a 20 second track "Prelude to the End of the Game" as the 7th track and do not include the full version.
The dts CD has the full version of End of the Game as track 7.
The DVD-Audio has the 20 second track has track 7 and the full version of End of the Game as a hidden track. On the DVD-Audio "layer" it is a combined track with track 10 Brand New Day. On the DVD-Video layer (dolby digital), the track listing only shows 10 tracks, but there is a separate track marker so if you start at 10 Brand New Day and skip a chapter forward, it does play End of the Game as a separate track.
The DVD-Audio also has a music video for After the Rain Has Fallen.

Did I get it all? What a mess.

Very cool. Thanks for the update. Come to think of it I did have previous DTS version of Marvin Gaye, Sting, and Crow. Fun to hear the changes is sound moving from lossy to lossless!

It is fun! The DVD-A's are the winners for me! I stopped short of getting all the SACDs of the Universal mixes where there were also DVD-A's as I prefer the sound of the DVD-A's on my setup.. but I'm a bit reluctant to open that particular can of worms here...! :eek:

Funny, I just picked up the Brand New Day (DVD-Audio) as I had the dts and SACD already.

The normal CD and SACD have a 20 second track "Prelude to the End of the Game" as the 7th track and do not include the full version.
The DVD-Audio has the 20 second track has track 7 and the full version of End of the Game as a hidden track. On the DVD-Audio "layer" it is a combined track with track 10 Brand New Day. On the DVD-Video layer (dolby digital), the track listing only shows 10 tracks, but there is a separate track marker so if you start at 10 Brand New Day and skip a chapter forward, it does play End of the Game as a separate track.

Oy vey! What a to-do indeed! That's why I like the Universal DVD-A's best! They got it all going onnnnnnn...!! :D

I've got the DTS version, I didn't know it was available as DVD-Audio. So out of curiosity I had a look on amazon.co.uk, which has 2 used £100.66 & £120.29, plus delivery!

Tunisia - Two False Idols
Really good in my opinion. Rock genre. Nice songs and each are different so pacing of listening to the entire DTS-CD is enjoyable.
good use of surround.
This came out in 2006 and I missed it. Still available on cd-baby, it is a CD + DTS 5.1 2 disc set.

vinylguy4

I can't compete here, only 20, but I will claim to have one of the largest collections of CD+Graphics titles (Warner, non-karaoke) which stands 48. I know of one other person that can compete. These were released around 1989 and could be played on a Philips CD player, the ill fated CD-Interactive players and a Sega game machine. I've cataloged all the info I can find on them at www.cdplusg.com.

My coolest finds on that quest were some that existed in a university library that I was able to get a student to check out so I could get a look at them (yes, I did return them!), and one (that my friend got, not I) that popped up on eBay in a shrink-wrapped long box after 20 years of us not being able to actually confirm it had been released other than some references in a magazine article.

Sorry, not related to surround, but to the topic of biggest collections of rare CD thingies.

I have several myself as I used to have that same player. I bought it for the kids games for educational purposes....it was so short lived and expensive, I regretted ever owning it. I don't even remember what I did with it upon my moving out. I loved some of the stuff, but most was unimpressive, at best. I had a cool miniature golf game and still have a great Jimi Hendrix cd+g, but never tried to play it on other devices. Gonna break it out and check now that it is on my mind.

I am now listening to Black Sabbath Paranoid. They took the quad mix and made it 5.1. It has great surround, but the quality is not great You can hear the album hiss when it is quiet. Fortunately, that is not often. Other than that, it sounds very good. Not too many available like this, I say get it!

Got a CD single, 3 songs in stereo and one song in dts 5.1. Band is Scooter - Title is Weekend.
Also has the Weekend video.
My opinion, save your money. On dts track, vocals sound silly and processed, uninteresting dance music.

vinylguy4

I won Hell Freezes Over by the Eagles. Popped it in and it played great for the first couple of songs sounded great. Around track 4, I started hearing clicks and the sound went in and out. I ejected the disc and looked it over and didn't notice any smudges or scratches. So I start it back and the next couple of songs are fine. Then it starts with the clicks and weird sound around track 13. I thought maybe it was the DTS signal going in and out so I tried my blu-ray player and got the same errors. Both players showed DTS decoding coming through my Onkyo receiver. Any ideas or is this a known problem with this disc? I haven't tried in the DVD-audio player in my car that also has DTS.

I won Hell Freezes Over by the Eagles. Popped it in and it played great for the first couple of songs sounded great. Around track 4, I started hearing clicks and the sound went in and out. I ejected the disc and looked it over and didn't notice any smudges or scratches. So I start it back and the next couple of songs are fine. Then it starts with the clicks and weird sound around track 13. I thought maybe it was the DTS signal going in and out so I tried my blu-ray player and got the same errors. Both players showed DTS decoding coming through my Onkyo receiver. Any ideas or is this a known problem with this disc? I haven't tried in the DVD-audio player in my car that also has DTS.

Try making a CD-R copy via Imgburn or Exact Audio Copy and see how that plays...

I may try that. I ran through the songs that weren't playing well on my home players through my car stereo and had no issues in the car. Showed DTS and sounded clear and nice. I wonder if the problem is more with my setup on the home players. The universal Onkyo player I have is only connected via the mulitchannel analog connections. The Pioneer blu-ray player is only connected via HDMI. I wonder if both have issues passing DTS over those cables?

I may try that. I ran through the songs that weren't playing well on my home players through my car stereo and had no issues in the car. Showed DTS and sounded clear and nice. I wonder if the problem is more with my setup on the home players. The universal Onkyo player I have is only connected via the mulitchannel analog connections. The Pioneer blu-ray player is only connected via HDMI. I wonder if both have issues passing DTS over those cables?

I'd say its more likely that your car player is more "tolerant" than your other players.

415C4WR9HTL._SX300_.jpg

Got this one a while back. Good disc, great mix. (fredblue must be getting a kickback!) ;)

I've been purchasing a lot of older CDs and it isn't uncommon for a disc that looks perfectly fine to have problems on some players and not others. I think there are forms of degradation (bronzing perhaps?) over time that some players are more sensitive than to others (colors changing slightly, etc.). I've had a few discs that look absolutely perfect and the first track or two rip perfectly, but then EAC goes into fits slowly to the point it can't read anything near the end. I've ended up with a collection of CD drives to try for troublesome discs sometimes I get lucky and one will read it, sometimes not.

I've been purchasing a lot of older CDs and it isn't uncommon for a disc that looks perfectly fine to have problems on some players and not others. I think there are forms of degradation (bronzing perhaps?) over time that some players are more sensitive than to others (colors changing slightly, etc.). I've had a few discs that look absolutely perfect and the first track or two rip perfectly, but then EAC goes into fits slowly to the point it can't read anything near the end. I've ended up with a collection of CD drives to try for troublesome discs sometimes I get lucky and one will read it, sometimes not.

FWIW, Apple's "SuperDrive" (external DVD burner) has huge problems with a lot of Warner WEA Europe CDs, I've no idea why but that's been my experience with it.. the same discs play flawlessly on other kit.

Back