DSD Download News from Acoustic Sounds' Super Hi Rez

QuadraphonicQuad

Help Support QuadraphonicQuad:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmoura

2K Club - QQ Super Nova
Since 2002/2003
At this weekend's Rocky Mountain Audio Fest (RMAF), Acoustic Sounds owner Chad Kassem provided an update on the company's Super Hi Rez downloads site at http://store.acousticsounds.com/superhirez and hosted demos of the music from the site using Sony's upcoming HAP-Z1ES Stereo Hi Resolution Audio streamer (due out in November) which includes a server and a tablet based remote control. Some highlights:

1. Rolling Stones - ABKCO Records has approached Super Hi Rez about offering the Rolling Stones Remastered Series albums on the site. ABKCO owns the early Stones catalog and issued these albums as Stereo SACDs several years ago from direct Analog Master Tape transfers. The SACDs are now out of print and run for major prices on the Internet when found.

2. Creedence Clearwater - Analogue Productions issued the Creedence Clearwater albums as a Remastered SACD series from the Analog Master Tapes several years ago. These SACDs are also out of print today. Super Hi Rez is working on bringing these albums back as DSD Downloads in the near future.

3. Unreleased Sony Titles - Towards the end of Sony's release of major artists on SACD, several albums were mastered for release as Stereo and Surround Sound SACDs but did not get released. Super Hi Rez is working with Sony to add these albums to their downloads site.

4. Reference Recordings - Fans of FLAC and ALAC recordings will be happy to hear that on Friday, Super Hi Rez added albums from the Reference Recordings catalog to the Super Hi Rez web site as FLAC and ALAC stereo downloads.

5. Elvis Presley - Super Hi Rez has prepared and is waiting for final sign off on posting the 3 Elvis Remastered SACDs as DSD Downloads in the very near future. A track from one of these albums "Peace in the Valley" is being demoed at RMAF to show what is coming to the site.

6. 500 Downloads - Super Hi Rez currently hosts over 160 DSD and FLAC/ALAC downloads on their site. With the upcoming influx of titles from Sony, Universal Music, ABKCO and other record labels and independent artists, they are projecting a total of 500 download titles by year's end.

7. Annual Blue Heaven Blues Festival - Chad Kassem hosts an Annual Blues Festival in Salina, Kansas each year with legends from the blues world. Over 10 years of these concerts have been recorded in DSD Stereo and Surround Sound by Gus Skinas at the Super Audio Center in Boulder. Recordings from this series will be added to the Super Hi Rez downloads site later this year in both DSD Stereo and DSD Surround Sound. Several selections from these recordings were played at RMAF including a track from Singer/Songwriter Tony Joe White performing his song "Willie and Laura Mae Jones".

8. 3 Channel Stereo - Analogue Productions has issued a number of classic 3 Channel Stereo recordings from the 1950s and 1960s on SACD Multichannel discs. These albums, mastered from the original Analog Master Tapes to DSD, including titles from The Weavers, Nat King Cole and others are coming to Super Hi Rez as DSD Downloads. This category will also include DSD Remasters from the RCA Living Stereo 2 Channel and 3 Channel titles in the near future.

9. Surround Sound DSD Downloads - Super Hi Rez plans to expand its current Mono and Stereo only DSD Download catalog to first 3 Channel Stereo and then to 5.1 Surround Sound DSD Downloads in the near future. Actual availability dates will depend on clearances.

10. The Doors - Super Hi Rez is also planning to host the recent SACD Remasters from The Doors as DSD Downloads in both Stereo and Surround Sound.

All in all, the team at Super Hi Rez and Acoustic Sounds has been very busy. They are very excited about the initial growth of the site (from 35 downloads at launch to over 160 downloads today) and tell everyone that they are very anxious for music fans to have access to the many albums they have and are continuing to prepare for download in the very near future. I'm definitely looking forward to this, as are many who attended the Super Hi Rez update this weekend!

Attachments

• Super Hi Rez.jpg
    Super Hi Rez.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 255
Any info on the n.3?

They weren't much more specific than what I posted. But they noted that we are talking about both Stereo DSD - and Surround Sound DSD releases from the Sony Music major artist catalog. A pretty intriguing teaser!

Well I guess item no. 3 explains why they didn't bother to put the surround version of Couldn't Stand The Weather on the upcoming SACD. Just what I figured. And no, I won't be downloading any of this stuff. If they think this is going to catch on, I'll remind them of Circuit City's DIVX idea.

Well I guess item no. 3 explains why they didn't bother to put the surround version of Couldn't Stand The Weather on the upcoming SACD. Just what I figured. And no, I won't be downloading any of this stuff. If they think this is going to catch on, I'll remind them of Circuit City's DIVX idea.

Hey,

A reminder that the new site is not limited to DSD content. There are several PCM flavors to choose from, so the important point is that there should soon be new mch content available for purchase.

I have spent the last two days at the RMAF reminding anyone who would listen that downloading is the perfect way to provide content to a niche market. With multiple formats to choose from, this should not exclude anyone from being able to participate technologically.

Therefore I would encourage you all to vote with your wallet when new multichannel content does come on-line, so as to encourage them (whoever they may be) to release more. That is our side of the equation. To prove that there is demand for surround content. Particularly now as they test the waters.

Ken

It's already a success. That explains why more DSD Download sites are coming.

Hey,

A reminder that the new site is not limited to DSD content. There are several PCM flavors to choose from, so the important point is that there should soon be new mch content available for purchase.

I have spent the last two days at the RMAF reminding anyone who would listen that downloading is the perfect way to provide content to a niche market. With multiple formats to choose from, this should not exclude anyone from being able to participate technologically.

Therefore I would encourage you all to vote with your wallet when new multichannel content does come on-line, so as to encourage them (whoever they may be) to release more. That is our side of the equation. To prove that there is demand for surround content. Particularly now as they test the waters.

Ken

Ken is right. If FLAC and ALAC are your favorites, that is available too.

And thanks to Ken for adding his voice to the requests for Surround. They know that I want Surround already! :)

Make fun of me all you want, but I have to admit I am totally baffled by the DSD and HiRez download stuff. How do you play it? And can you burn it to a DVD or make an AVCHD for a BD player? I have a 5 disc SACD player that I have never used because I have no more inputs for it that would allow the Audyssey in my Denon receiver to process it. So I'd need some other way to play the downloads. Please, so,some help this dummy (me) understand it all.

Make fun of me all you want, but I have to admit I am totally baffled by the DSD and HiRez download stuff. How do you play it? And can you burn it to a DVD or make an AVCHD for a BD player? I have a 5 disc SACD player that I have never used because I have no more inputs for it that would allow the Audyssey in my Denon receiver to process it. So I'd need some other way to play the downloads. Please, so,some help this dummy (me) understand it all.

You have a number of choices to play the files, once downloaded. If you own an Oppo 103/105 Blu-Ray Disc player, simply copy the music files to a USB Jump Drive or Hard Disk, connect to an Oppo USB port and it plays back in native DSD or PCM. That's certainly one of the more reasonably priced options for Surround or Stereo Download playback today. (And many people are doing just that.)

A second approach is to buy a Digital to Analog Converter (DAC). Many of the DACs available today handle both PCM and DSD files in Stereo. It's a little harder to find ones that also playback Surround Sound - but they exist as well. See these articles:

Mytek Video on You Tube: Multichannel Playback at Home
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...Mytek-Video-Multichannel-DSD-Playback-at-Home

Mytek "3 Stack" Offers Multichannel Playback (by Ted_B)
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-DSD-playback-solution-with-Mytek-and-J-RIver!

exaSound e28 Multichannel DAC Review (by Ted_B)
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/539-exasound-e28-multichannel-usb-dac-review/

A third approach are products that combine DAC features with other feature like a headphone amp. So you end up with a DAC + Headphone Amp in one box/product.

What Sony Electronics is offering is a Stereo "music streamer" that combines the DAC, storage for the music files and a tablet that acts as a remote control to play and switch between the songs. It also has a dial on the front to keep the operation of the product very simple for the novice. It will be out next month and be sold through regular consumer electronics dealers as well as places like Acoustic Sounds.

Acoustic Sounds also offers some on-line guides to using Hi Resolution Audio files written by David Robinson of Positive Feedback Magazine. Very well done. Check out:

High Resolution Audio Downloads: You Can Do It
http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=page&PID=598

The Download Lowdown
http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=page&PID=602

Recommended Equipment to Play Downloads
http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=page&PID=601

Software to Play Music Downloads
http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=page&PID=599

The Super Hi Rez Story
http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=page&PID=597

These articles should give you a running start. I'd also mention that you can all Acoustic Sounds and their staff will be happy to talk on the phone with music fans that have downloaded music from Super Hi Rez - or are considering jumping into the market.

what amazes me, that all of these "generous" offers and promises to supply DSD in any possible configurations (i.e. mono, stereo, surround) pretty much tied with necessity to spend big bucks on hardware, able to handle these downloads. perhaps that will be major point for if not downfall of this initiative, then at least to remain it just one more small niche within one, we have already.please don't tell me "OPPO is affordable option". it is affordable to ones, who has quality sound among priorities. don't know statistic, but my guess it is less than 1% of purchasers of musical content.all in all it seems like behind all this are vendors, who's in someway involved in manufacturing/sales of hardware means. other way, if there was genuine interest/intention to bring quality sound into masses, they could offer more simple and really affordable solution such like software playback over wireless or wired home network from computers/gadgets.

From what I've heard from the Download sites, the Oppo Blu-Ray players are one of the top ways that people are playing back the Music Downloads. So certainly there are a number of people with Oppo Blu-Ray players out there! Right up there with low cost, stereo DACs.

You have a number of choices to play the files, once downloaded. If you own an Oppo 103/105 Blu-Ray Disc player, simply copy the music files to a USB Jump Drive or Hard Disk, connect to an Oppo USB port and it plays back in native DSD or PCM. That's certainly one of the more reasonably priced options for Surround or Stereo Download playback today. (And many people are doing just that.)

A second approach is to buy a Digital to Analog Converter (DAC). Many of the DACs available today handle both PCM and DSD files in Stereo. It's a little harder to find ones that also playback Surround Sound - but they exist as well. See these articles:

Mytek Video on You Tube: Multichannel Playback at Home
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...Mytek-Video-Multichannel-DSD-Playback-at-Home

Mytek "3 Stack" Offers Multichannel Playback (by Ted_B)
https://www.quadraphonicquad.com/fo...-DSD-playback-solution-with-Mytek-and-J-RIver!

exaSound e28 Multichannel DAC Review (by Ted_B)
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/539-exasound-e28-multichannel-usb-dac-review/

A third approach are products that combine DAC features with other feature like a headphone amp. So you end up with a DAC + Headphone Amp in one box/product.

What Sony Electronics is offering is a Stereo "music streamer" that combines the DAC, storage for the music files and a tablet that acts as a remote control to play and switch between the songs. It also has a dial on the front to keep the operation of the product very simple for the novice. It will be out next month and be sold through regular consumer electronics dealers as well as places like Acoustic Sounds.

Acoustic Sounds also offers some on-line guides to using Hi Resolution Audio files written by David Robinson of Positive Feedback Magazine. Very well done. Check out:

High Resolution Audio Downloads: You Can Do It
http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=page&PID=598

The Download Lowdown
http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=page&PID=602

Recommended Equipment to Play Downloads
http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=page&PID=601

Software to Play Music Downloads
http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=page&PID=599

The Super Hi Rez Story
http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=page&PID=597

These articles should give you a running start. I'd also mention that you can all Acoustic Sounds and their staff will be happy to talk on the phone with music fans that have downloaded music from Super Hi Rez - or are considering jumping into the market.

I connected my wireless modem, a message popped up asking me to add the Oppo, 103- can the music be sent wireless? I see I can send pictures/video.

LIke I have said previously-keep that physical media!! Someday, it will be an antique-and may make our grandkids/kids wealthy? We are seeing the tip of the iceberg here.

I connected my wireless modem, a message popped up asking me to add the Oppo, 103- can the music be sent wireless? I see I can send pictures/video.

It can - although the current Oppo models do not support DSD over IP. So there is a DSD to PCM conversion if you do that.

LIke I have said previously-keep that physical media!! Someday, it will be an antique-and may make our grandkids/kids wealthy? We are seeing the tip of the iceberg here.

I'd rather my kid grow up with less clutter than a bunch of stuff he'll have to worry about getting rid of. :)

Looking at this now - pricier than HDTracks, especially at the highest resolution. Selection is pretty sparse for now. One to keep an eye on, though.

Looking at this now - pricier than HDTracks, especially at the highest resolution. Selection is pretty sparse for now. One to keep an eye on, though.

The prices are set by the record companies and artists. So you can expect the DSD Download prices on HD Tracks to be the same when they launch their DSD Downloads section.

Which reminds me, I have a 78RPM record collection I inherited. They seem to go for a couple of bucks each on eBay (at least that is what people are asking). Don't think it is worth the hassle of trying to pack them safely for shipping.

Which reminds me, I have a 78RPM record collection I inherited. They seem to go for a couple of bucks each on eBay (at least that is what people are asking). Don't think it is worth the hassle of trying to pack them safely for shipping.

We inherited a shitload of 78 records a few yrs ago, most wrere so old they were very fragile. The rest had no value at all.
I'm talking about more modern quad lp's and the discs we are enjoying now. I think we will see not a demise of them, rather everything will be stored in a cloud based memory system. And sold as downloads. The part that I don't get is piracy, how can they stop it?

The part that I don't get is piracy, how can they stop it?

That question was raised during the DSD Downloads panel at RMAF. Interestingly, the download sites and the record companies aren't as worried about that as the members of the audience were. Although they hope that most people will buy the downloads vs. steal them.

There are no plans to use DRM on music downloads. But the NativeDSD.Com web site does plan to add a digital fingerprint to music downloads they sell. So they will be traceable to the original purchaser.

Back